"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Maybe I'm gross, but I love Taco Bell. It is disheartening to see this story, and I hope they start making their beef more "beefy," but I still love it. I guess it is a good thing we don't eat there often though. I will always prefer homemade tacos, but now and then I like to get their Taco Supreme or Burrito Supreme.

Barbara
You are in good company. Sometimes, there is just a need to "make a run for the border." I love Taco Bell, but never thought it was "healthy." I love bean burritos with the Verda sauce, onions and cheese. Mmmmm.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL Like I told James yesterday when we were watching "Super Size Me" again and discussing fast food and junk food, "We knew we weren't shopping at a health food store!"

Barbara

Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I completely agree. Taco Bell is a food company, that lowers the cost of their food to increase profit, just like all the fast food chains. I avoid all of these. Although, I did find this today,

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/242169/TAC...SPAPER-ADS.jpg

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
Head Chef

You mean that McDonalds doesn't use milk or doesn't use ice cream? Either way that would be great for me, I'm lactose intolerant!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
You mean that McDonalds doesn't use milk or doesn't use ice cream? Either way that would be great for me, I'm lactose intolerant!
I'm going from memory, but I remember McDonalds being forced to remove the milk label from their shakes because they lacked enough milk to be called a milk shake
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

According to snopes, McD does use milk. I stand corrected.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
Head Chef

Has anybody seen the movie Food Inc.? You would be surprized (and disgusted) to know what goes into fast food...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Flour Child

I had a taco there years ago (maybe it's different now?) and I found the the seasoned beef at least had flavor...my beef is that the white lettuce they use is flavorless and nutritionless and ditto for the pale tomatoes.

Who cares if they add oats and water to the meat?...I thought wholegrain was good for you

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

...Yeah I like Taco bell as well, a whole lot I might add.

Can't wait to see what they are adding to their 40% meat. If the past when meat prices sky-rocked my mom would add things that were kind of 'meat like' to stretch it out for us.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Has anybody seen the movie Food Inc.? You would be surprized (and disgusted) to know what goes into fast food...

To be honest, most people would be surprised and disgusted to know what goes into any food. The FDA guidelines take into account locust years and mother nature in general. When I was in the classroom, my high schoolers would practically go on a food strike when I had them review the FDA guidelines for what they ate for lunch. It's estimated that the average American consumes between 1 to 2 pounds of insects each year without knowing it. I'll keep everyone resting easier by not posting the amount of rodent hairs, excrement, and other items that are forgiven by the guidelines. Most countries mirror our guidelines (or we mirror theirs.) Guidelines may vary slightly...or lower significantly depending on the country.

Those of us who seek less chemicals and pesticides, and wish to be more organic, get a benefit of additional surprises. Like most things, there are pros and cons in this. A pro is that we are not ingesting chemical poisons. A con is 100 grams of chocolate may contain sixty or more insect fragments and 1 rodent hair. I love my unbleached wheat flour, but it comes at a cost that is not always monetary.

Now, the insect and rodent additions to foods cannot really be avoided. I guess what I am saying is that food at Taco Bell may have surprises, but so does the sterile bag of organic popcorn as a few rodents have likely chomped on some of grains in the bag. So Taco Bell adds additives, fats, etc. Mother nature added all kinds of things to the corn that went into the shell long before Taco Bell had a chance at it. When I was a research assistant in college, we used to joke in the lab that Mother Nature can be credited with making the first chocolate-coated ants.

~Kathleen

Tags
meat