Taco Bell being Sued over their Taco meat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, most people would be surprised and disgusted to know what goes into any food. The FDA guidelines take into account locust years and mother nature in general. When I was in the classroom, my high schoolers would practically go on a food strike when I had them review the FDA guidelines for what they ate for lunch. It's estimated that the average American consumes between 1 to 2 pounds of insects each year without knowing it. I'll keep everyone resting easier by not posting the amount of rodent hairs, excrement, and other items that are forgiven by the guidelines. Most countries mirror our guidelines (or we mirror theirs.) Guidelines may vary slightly...or lower significantly depending on the country.

Those of us who seek less chemicals and pesticides, and wish to be more organic, get a benefit of additional surprises. Like most things, there are pros and cons in this. A pro is that we are not ingesting chemical poisons. A con is 100 grams of chocolate may contain sixty or more insect fragments and 1 rodent hair. I love my unbleached wheat flour, but it comes at a cost that is not always monetary.

Now, the insect and rodent additions to foods cannot really be avoided. I guess what I am saying is that food at Taco Bell may have surprises, but so does the sterile bag of organic popcorn as a few rodents have likely chomped on some of grains in the bag. :rolleyes: So Taco Bell adds additives, fats, etc. Mother nature added all kinds of things to the corn that went into the shell long before Taco Bell had a chance at it. :) When I was a research assistant in college, we used to joke in the lab that Mother Nature can be credited with making the first chocolate-coated ants. :LOL:

~Kathleen

Nice work trying to educate the kids. It's amazing how well the FDA sets up guidelines that help large companies mass produce food. And people are wondering why we have these pork, egg, tomato viruses. Production is moving so fast that they can't even stop the shipments, because they are already all over the US. The bug thing does bring back the book I had to read in highschool, The Jungle. Everyone should read it.

Back
Top Bottom