"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, time to have fun. Drinks are on Buckytom's tab. I'll even buy GG a drink... on Buckytom's tab.

I got what I needed to get out of my system. Only took a few minutes. Please, get what you want out of yours. You can call me any name you want, feel free to trash me -- you won't be the first. I have a pretty thick skin.

If anyone is angry with me for more than five minutes... Stop it now. I am not worth it.

CD
Sorry to disappoint you, but you are my hero! You came to my defense at just the right moment. Thank you CD.

But did you notice both our posts were deleted. My feelings haven't been hurt at all.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
Executive Chef

How about a Taco flavored pizza or a Taco stuffed with Pizza ingredients

Old 02-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
You know, I have never had a taco. I have seen a lot of them on TV, but have never the occasion to order one. Hmmm.... You may have something there. Heaven knows the poor pizza has been bastardized to death. Guess we could do the same for the taco.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
IIRC Taco Bell did a "Mexican Pizza." I never tried it. I never could figure out "Why?" I would want to eat a pizza with taco toppings.

CD
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #25
Master Chef

Casey, many years ago I had a Taco Bell 'Mexican Pizza' and it was pretty bad, but it inspired me to re-create one at home. It was delicious. The only reason it can be called a pizza, is because it's flat.

A toasted flour tortilla, just until it's a little crispy and has those lovely slightly charred bubbles. Top with a thin layer of refried beans and onions. Another flour tortilla done the same way, on top of that. Then top it all with a little warmed enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and shredded Monterey jack. Cut into wedges to serve. Pretty darned good. I'd forgotten about that until now. I'll have to make one of those again soon.
--------------------------
Back to the OP question though....if I HAD to choose between tacos or pizza, it would be tacos. Tacos are on the menu here at my house a lot more often than pizza.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Can't choose between those two things. That's like asking if I prefer air or water.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Casey, many years ago I had a Taco Bell 'Mexican Pizza' and it was pretty bad, but it inspired me to re-create one at home. It was delicious. The only reason it can be called a pizza, is because it's flat.

A toasted flour tortilla, just until it's a little crispy and has those lovely slightly charred bubbles. Top with a thin layer of refried beans and onions. Another flour tortilla done the same way, on top of that. Then top it all with a little warmed enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and shredded Monterey jack. Cut into wedges to serve. Pretty darned good. I'd forgotten about that until now. I'll have to make one of those again soon.
Back to the OP question though....if I HAD to choose between tacos or pizza, it would be tacos. Tacos are on the menu here at my house a lot more often than pizza.
Ummm, just thinking, couldn't you use those same ingredients to make a quesadilla?

I also eat a lot more tacos than pizzas. Not because I don't like pizza. I love pizza. I love good tacos, too.

Tacos are really easy to make, and take very little time to make, relative to pizza -- well, a good pizza.

Addie, I have no idea what Boston has to offer in the way of taquerias. Here in Dallas, they are everywhere. I did find this web page...

https://boston.eater.com/maps/best-tacos-boston

Have one of your kids pick up some good tacos, and give them a try. I think you will like them. Real tacos are very simple, and very fresh tasting. Kind of like a good Margherita pizza - simple and good.

CD
Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:

I put half the grated cheese in between two tortillas, toast it on each side in a bit of oil in a fry pan. Top it, cook it in a hot oven (450°F, on a baking stone if you’ve got one.)

Very cheesy!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Tacos are something that can be all over the board.

I love good street taco with soft tortillas. I also love a Taco Bell taco or even a greasy, oily Jack in the Box taco.

Hard to go wrong.

Addie, I find it amazing you've never even had a Taco Bell taco. Not saying you have, but I didn't think that was possible.

Try one, then move on to other ones. It is a whole culinary adventure.

Street tacos are probably our most made homemade meal. Great for using leftovers of all types.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Apples or oranges?

I like them both.

I can't abide hard shell Taco's though. My own Taco's are my favorite...corn tortillas lightly fried in oil the way Mama taught me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I too prefer soft shell but, every once in a while we just have to stop at a Taco Bell for their weird little hard shell tacos.. There is just a flavor about them that makes me crave them a few times a year...

Ross
Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I like them both, but thin crust with pizza, and the little 4" tortillas, double layed, with tacos.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I too prefer soft shell but, every once in a while we just have to stop at a Taco Bell for their weird little hard shell tacos.. There is just a flavor about them that makes me crave them a few times a year...

Ross
The power of suggestion..

Out to pick up some meds, we had to stop at a Taco Bell for a hard taco fix...

Ross
Old 02-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #34
Master Chef

Every now and then I just have to have a Taco Bell taco, if I'm out and about and get hungry. Did you know that you can get a free 'senior' drink with your order?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Every now and then I just have to have a Taco Bell taco, if I'm out and about and get hungry. Did you know that you can get a free 'senior' drink with your order?
My problem with hard shell tacos is that you take your first bite, and they break into a dozen pieces on your plate. Soft corn tortillas are fragile, too, but if you double them up, and is done by most "street taco" joints, you can manage.

I think Taco Bell has hard tacos wrapped in soft flour tortillas... and beans, cheese, whatever. They have a lot of Franken-food on their menu.

CD
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

This gal does her Taco shells like I do. I like mine a little softer than her finished shells though.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pizza, taco