"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Back during the 70's I had a friend who worked the graveyard shift at a Jack-In-The-Box.
He used to tell me what they did with the burger patties before serving them to some of these high school punks who frequented the drive thru in the middle of the night.
Since he told me this I have not gone to a JITB ever since...
JITB isn't the issue - that could happen anywhere.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
JITB isn't the issue - that could happen anywhere.
Oh, of course. It's all psychological.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
Master Chef
The fire department Haz Mat team is always over at the Burger King by my office. I've been in ther once in 20 years and the stench totally repulsed me.

I worked at KFC and McDonalds in high school and college and we didn't do anything bad to the customers. Seriously. Even if they were jerks.

At KFC the guys would bread up their hands and dunk them in the fryer. Bad idea. Also, a woman got her fingers cut off in the cole slaw machine. I believe we dumped that batch. My friend's nail polish came off when she was making the cole slaw with her hands (no gloves). She served that.

At McD's I barfed into a customer's bag while filling the order. I was super hungover and was sent home. They threw out the order. One night our manager (a fellow high school student) put a gallon of vodka into the orange drink syrup and we "partied" all night. Did not serve to customers.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I worked in restaurants for about 15 years and I saw some of the nastiest things in some of them and others were so clean that you would have believed it was a home kitchen. (Well one that someone cleans) We don't eat out alot either and I raise and preserve alot of our food because I just don't have much faith in how safe our food is.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
I guess none of you want to eat at my house. Up until just a few months ago we bathed my son in our kitchen sink for every bath

I worked at an Orange Julius many years ago. None of us ever did anything to anyones drinks. No one even said they wanted to even in jest. We just never considered it. We did, however, store some bottles of booze in one of the cabinets and would make our own special Orange Julius's while we were cleaning up for the night.

There is a website I used to read that was for people in the restaurant industry to tell their horror stories. The things that go on in ever level of restaurant from fast food to super classy would make you never want to eat out ever again if you let it get to you. I have to believe that I have eaten food before that I should not have. Maybe something got dropped on the floor or taken off someones plate and recycled onto mine. I am still here though and of the opinion that (in most cases) what I do not know will not hurt me. It is a chance I am willing to take because I enjoy easting out.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #16
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I'd bet that was a stunt to get attention.

I haven't eaten at one of those fast food places in years. At the end of the day, I consider them really expensive for what they are. I prefer to save my "eating out money" to dine at a really good place.

Rather than stopping at a "quickie" place when I don't feel like cooking, I'd rather come home and scramble an egg!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Rather than stopping at a "quickie" place when I don't feel like cooking, I'd rather come home and scramble an egg!
Or a couple of pancakes, with two strips of crispy bacon...Steen's syrup too!!!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
It's people like that who make me embarrassed to be from Ohio
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #19
Master Chef
My friend used to be a repair man for some company. They service comercial kitchens, he did not eat almost anywhere, but a couple places. The stories he told me were horible. I still eat out when I can. Thank G-d it is not very often.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
Head Chef
If I eat it and am blissfully ignorant, then I don't care.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote

« The BEST | Bigfoot »