Taking A Leap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinne

Sous Chef
Mystic, CT - transplanted from Lancaster, PA
For most of my working life I have taken jobs that I've fallen into. Some I have really enjoyed. Others? Not so much. Right now I am in Banking & it's just not my thing - all the regulations & compliance issues, dress codes, etc really chafe at me.

I just turned 49 last week & just yesterday, finally decided that it's time to make a change. Since I *have* to work, I need to do something that I really enjoy. My passion is cooking so that's what I'm going after. With no formal training & experience I know it's going to be difficult - because of my age & lack of experience in the culinary field.

So, please pray for me, send me good vibes or karma or whatever. :)

I have 2 interviews set up for tomorrow. The one position is Cook at a nursing/rehabilitation home. The other is a line cook/pantry catering position at a Yacht Club - under the umbrella of a good sized catering company.

Those of you who work at either of these kinds of places, can you give me any advice or insight?

Thank you!
Corinne

Corinne,
I can''t geive you any advice but, I can wish you all the luck in the world and send up a few prayers for you too. I've read many of your posts and know some of the things you can do, so go get em girl, you'll be great.

kadesma:)

Corinne:

Congrats! That's a big step and I think it's great you're going for it!

Good Luck - You'll be terrific!

Corinne - good for you!! Go after your passion...you WILL succeed! Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way.

Lots of luck to you Corinne! It takes a LOT of courage to do what you're doing. I admire and respect that. And if it eventually becomes a toss up between the nursing home and the yacht club, the latter might be more interesting in that it would surely give you more upward mobility due to the big catering connection, not to mention that the food you'll be involved in preparing will be more varied and interesting as will be your customers.

hmmmm, advice? ok:

port - left

starboard - right

galley - kitchen

-or-

dubya dubya eye eye (WWII) was "the big one"

little boy was dropped first, from the b29 enola gay. paul w. tibbets, capt..

your teeth are in the glass by the window...

:)

hope this helps, and good luck and god bless, corinne. we're pulling for you.

buckytom said:
hmmmm, advice? ok:

port - left

starboard - right

Additional explanation,

port - a plugging spot for USB

starboard - get the h--- out of my way :ROFLMAO:

kidding aside, my best wishes for finding what your heart is after, Corinne, you deserve it!!

It's so good to have you guys here to be a sounding board. I feel like, if I succeed with my plans, it will be a success for all of us because you are the ones who are encouraging & advising me.

I visited the Yacht Club today & will go back tomorrow to observe. On Monday evening I have an interview at a new place that's going to open very soon. A deli/catering business. They plan to be open 7 am to 4 PM, serve breakfast & lunch & do catering on the side. On Tuesday morning I go for the interview at the nursing home.

Right now I feel like the deli/catering service would be the best fit. It's what I would do if I had the money to open my own place. I feel like the Yacht Club is out of my league. The nursing home? It breaks my heart to see so many elderly people in that condition but maybe I could keep blinders on in the kitchen. I imagine the food will need to be kind of bland & boring, too.

The problem with the new Deli place? I imagine they don't have a lot of money to pay employees. They must have sunk a lot into getting the place, buying supplies & all of that. I'm not looking for a lot of money - I'm more than willing to take a pay cut from what I'm making now. But I do need benefits & I'm guessing that's not going to be part of the deal. Also, what percentage of this type of business goes under? On the other hand, I would love to be there at the beginning & watch/help someone make a go of their dream.

C

I gotta tell ya - I'm excited this evening. I was finally able to meet with the nursing home people today. The woman who interviewed me has been so wary of me, right from the start. Looking at my resume she sees that I am about to make a huge change in my life & she's not convinced that I really want to do this. I tried to tell her that this is not being done on a whim - that I've been kicking this around for a long, long time & I am ready to jump now. If I don't end up there, my goal is to be cooking somewhere by the end of the year. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing - she said I would probably hear something one way or the other by tomorrow. I am less nervous since Vera Blue gave me some really good leads for the kind of work I want to do. If I don't get the job at the nursing home, I feel like there's still hope for me.

The job sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I would be preparing the evening meal for 100 people pretty much by myself. The lunch meal is the largest meal of the day at this place so I would be concentrating on soups, sandwiches, mac & cheese, that kind of thing. That's where I'm strongest.

Everyone who's been pulling for me - I feel it - please keep pulling for me just a little bit longer. We're gonna get there!

I can't even believe that someone might be paying me to cook & I won't even have to wash the dishes & pots & pans!!! How great is that?!?!

Back
Top Bottom