"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Taste of Home Magazine

I have been a subscriber of taste of home magazine for years. I loved it because it was loaded full of recipes and NO advertising. Now, I got my recent issue and I can barely find any recipes, except for ALL the ones in the advertisements. ick!!!

so I will not be resubscribing. Does anybody know of a good cooking magazine, that is not mostly advertising? I hate paying for advertising.

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I used to get TOH years ago. I let it go and seem to find all the recipes I need on the net. I got tired of trying to dispose/recycle stacks of magazines! I just hate all the advertising too.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow View Post
I used to get TOH years ago. I let it go and seem to find all the recipes I need on the net. I got tired of trying to dispose/recycle stacks of magazines! I just hate all the advertising too.
Same here, I find all I need on the internet. I also have a little notebook that I write down websites that are particularly good.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
I have been a subscriber of taste of home magazine for years. I loved it because it was loaded full of recipes and NO advertising. Now, I got my recent issue and I can barely find any recipes, except for ALL the ones in the advertisements. ick!!!

so I will not be resubscribing. Does anybody know of a good cooking magazine, that is not mostly advertising? I hate paying for advertising.

Thanks!
COOK'S ILLUSTRATED has zero advertising and there is a companion mag called COOK'S COUNTRY that doesn't either.

Upside: Very good recipes and not so many that you just get overwhelmed

Downside: a lot of tedious discussion about how they arrived at the final recipe. Although some of this discussion has implications that can be used elsewhere, they often use up 3 full pages, most of which is telling you what didn't work.

Still, they are the type of mags that you don't ever throw away. They also have an on line subscription which gives you access to all the past issue's recipes.

There is a lot of product and equipment evaluation too.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country are two magazines from the PBS cooking shows that contain no ads.

I stopped food mag subscriptions years ago. I find all I want in cookbooks and online. The two mags I mentioned have a lot of their content available online as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country are two magazines from the PBS cooking shows that contain no ads.

I stopped food mag subscriptions years ago. I find all I want in cookbooks and online. The two mags I mentioned have a lot of their content available online as well.

Great minds?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Great minds?

Yup.

It helps that these are the only two on the market with no ads.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Master Chef

I like Cuisine at Home. You might check it out.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Head Chef

I can only echo what has already been said. Because receiving print magazines from the US is awkward here, I don't subscribe to any. I used to subscribe to Taste of Home, and enjoyed the "comfort food" type recipes, however. I also used to get Cooks Illustrated and I do pay for the online subscription because I enjoy all the discussion of food chemistry. Understanding exactly what happens when butter combines with sugar, and how baking soda is different from baking powder is all interesting to me. I also liked Cuisine at Home very much, but they also have a very good website, as well as a forum. Bottom line - you can find anything you need on the internet. It doesn't quite replace the enjoyment of thumbing through the pages of a magazine, but I am getting used to it.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Honey Badger

Taste Of Home has a web site.But you still have the ads.
My firewall is temperamental it blocks a lot of the ads,but sometimes it also blocks information that I need to see.It happens...

I've tried Cooks Illustrated,I've never been more bored on a cooking website as I was there.

If information is needed for a specific thing,I ask here.
The company's certainly much better.

Munky.