"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #81
Head Chef

Tattoos, who has 'em?

This is the title of the thread not who doesn't have them and what do think of the people who do?

Seems like you brushed a lot of us with the same stroke there Walt. Just your opinion I know. And this is just my two cents.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #82
Executive Chef

Bottom line is its my body and I will do what I please with it and I don't really care what other people think. So if you color your hair or wear a certain style you can't project what is on the inside? Rubbish!
You could look at it this way that what you put on the outside is also showing more about whats on the inside. I still don't think anyone should get a tattoo just get one. It should have meaning.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #83
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Nope, not for me.

1) Nothing I want or care to be identified as for the rest of my life.

2) Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing.

But mostly:

3) A long, LONG time ago I read an interview with Benny Goodman. He was asked why he wore conventional suits and had a conventional appearance instead of the 'fashion of the day' worn by the other hot musicians.

Goodman answered was, not an exact quote, what makes people special and unique is not worn on the outside.

Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.

4) Tats use to mean something. At least that was my perception. This perception is founded on my Uncles tat, a Bulldog with U.S.M.C. WWII and Korea.

Trendy?
perhaps...for those that ARE trendy.

Meaningful, indeed. Every bit of ink on my body is significant to me, and will be in 30 years, or 50 years, or 70 years(if I live that long,lol).

As far as society placing value on the externals, versus the internals, I deal with that on a daily basis, but guess what, I am the guy covered in tattoos that most would thing is a hoodlum, or ex con. BUT, you would not believe how many people don't care, because the know me, and who I am. If you surround yourself with people that are open minded and honest, and not trend monkeys, I find the quality of life is much better. And for those that DO judge, I don't need them in my life, mo one should judge. And for those that are curious and ask about my tatts(happens almost daily it seems) I make it a point to reflect who I am , tell them a bit about the story illustrated upon my skin, and it is normally very well received. The most curious people seem to be older, and I almost always hear, "I always wanted to get one".

My tattoos are, were, and will continue to be my choice. Unless you have ever gotten one, you will not understand. You will find most people get either 1 tatt, and love it forever, or get one, and it starts the "addiction".
Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Trendy?
perhaps...for those that ARE trendy.

Meaningful, indeed. Every bit of ink on my body is significant to me, and will be in 30 years, or 50 years, or 70 years(if I live that long,lol).

As far as society placing value on the externals, versus the internals, I deal with that on a daily basis, but guess what, I am the guy covered in tattoos that most would thing is a hoodlum, or ex con. BUT, you would not believe how many people don't care, because the know me, and who I am. If you surround yourself with people that are open minded and honest, and not trend monkeys, I find the quality of life is much better. And for those that DO judge, I don't need them in my life, mo one should judge. And for those that are curious and ask about my tatts(happens almost daily it seems) I make it a point to reflect who I am , tell them a bit about the story illustrated upon my skin, and it is normally very well received. The most curious people seem to be older, and I almost always hear, "I always wanted to get one".

My tattoos are, were, and will continue to be my choice. Unless you have ever gotten one, you will not understand. You will find most people get either 1 tatt, and love it forever, or get one, and it starts the "addiction".
Another thing, its no party getting a tattoo most of them are extremely painful to get at least it was for me.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #85
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
no pain, no stain.

I like the endorphine rush. the longest I have sat straight was about 8 hours, and towards the end, I was whooped! Had a bad body crash after, with a slight fever, typical reaction to a large patch of self induced "road rash". Typically, the longest I will go at a time now is 4-5hours, depending on what area is getting worked on.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #86
Head Chef

I'll just put my 2c into this Wart/Vera fray... errr...'discussion'.

Wart... You are indeed being very judgmental in stating what is, essentially, your opinion. You did say (not twisting words but trying to interpret) that "tats use to mean something..." Is that NOT implying that NOW they don't? And when you say "Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing", are you NOT painting, if you will, all who sport tattoos with the same needle and purpose?

'fads' and 'trends' are used to describe the choice to get a tattoo. I'm quite certain that is not the case for everyone who chooses to get one. While you do not seem to understand why people (other than in your broad stroke generalizations) might get tattoos, you seem quick to pull the 'pathology' card on the behavior (unless it's your uncle's bulldog... gimme a break).

I agree that it really is what is "on the inside that counts" most. But we ARE living in a society. Are you honestly saying you do nothing to conform to the norms and yes, trends, of the society?

Vera... I believe your response to be well-written and insightful. I tried to give you some Karma for it but the site wouldn't let me. Well said.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #87
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
It's my personal belief the more one tries to project who and what they are on the outside the less there is on the inside.
And honestly, this is just an ignorant statement, and I am NOT speaking for myself. You might just be surprised who has tattoos, ranging from Judges and High Level CEO, I know, because I have met, hung out, dined, and discussed at great length tattooing with these types of people. Just because a suit and tie is on the outside, you don't know what is under that.

and just another little interesting read: And from 11 years ago, at that...

The Changing Cultural Status of Tattoo Art: A Report

"The market demographics for tattoo services are now skewed heavily toward mainstream customers. Tattooing today is the sixth-fastest-growing retail business in the United States. The single fastest growing demographic group seeking tattoo services is, to the surprise of many, middle-class suburban women.

Tattooing is recognized by government agencies as both an art form and a profession and tattoo-related art work is the subject of museum, gallery and educational institution art shows across the United States."

Not to mention, the whole article might open your eyes to something outside your box. Not saying it will change your mind, or how you feel(neither is my intention), but just putting something out there.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #88
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
a good friend of mine from a former job once told me that men get tattoos when their friends do, somewhere between a rite of passage and a fun time with the buddies. women get tattoos to mark things in their lives. probably a sexist oversimplification, since i've met people of both genders who just picked something silly out of the flash art books at the parlor, but i do know far more women who will tell you a deeply personal story about each drop of ink ("this was my PhD", "this was my miscarriage", etc).

i have this amazing image of vines twined on the biohazard symbol in my head (i'm a biomedical researcher), but i've never found someone who can draw it the way i can see it. until then, i'm not ready to have it done. i've had the design in my head for 5+ years now, though, and i'm still not sick of it.

and people, you know how a pic is worth a thousand words? the *one* we've had here is lovely! so post some more!!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #89
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Tattoos, who has 'em?

This is the title of the thread not who doesn't have them and what do think of the people who do?

Seems like you brushed a lot of us with the same stroke there Walt. Just your opinion I know. And this is just my two cents.

I agree.... I don't condone censorship of any kind...but on the other hand, I wouldn't respond to a thread about say, off-road SUV racing, simply because I don't do it, I won't do it, and I have no knowledge about what it takes to do it. A thread regarding body modification (which I wonder what it's even doing on a food board) gets nasty quickly almost the minute the naysayers show up. It's not just that they say nay, because some are quite capable of of that without the judgements and ill informed opinions. Rather it's that they say nay and proceed to paint general brush strokes about those who say yay with everything from being mentally disordered to being unable to have an original thought.

I'm very proud of my tattoos and the journey of life they represent. I look forward to warmer weather every year so they'll be visible. Huzzah to the person who said they are snapshots into the soul, because that's exactly what they are in my case.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
This has been an interesting thread and I've learned a lot from it.

Having said that, I am still interested in getting a tattoo. Buck and I have talked about my interest in doing so. He agrees but doesn't think I'll follow through. Perhaps that's the case. Only time will tell.

However, my reason to get a tattoo, an American flag over my left breast, is simply a patriotic one. I so LOVE my country and I always (every day) wear an American flag pin in the same space on my clothing. My love of my country is very deep-seated since my father loved our country and instilled that in me and my siblings.

So, a tattoo is a very personal thing for me and others, which I can understand.