Tattoos, who has 'em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have any... but I was 'this' close to getting one this weekend! My best friend Beth whom I have only talked to on the phone and email for the past 2 years lives in Canada. Her husband is a famous tattoo artist and does conventions all across the US and Canada. The convention this past past weekend was in Austin, Texas. When my friend told me they would be in Austin, I bought a plane ticket and flew there to meet her in person. Never been to a tattoo convention and I have to tell you, I saw some really strange stuff! Anyhow, we talked about getting my first tattoo, but it never happened.... I think I was a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Anyhow... I got to meet my best friend in person, she is totally awesome! And I learned a thing or two about tatts!

I bet i know him. My cousin is a world famous pin striper and painter for hot rods. He has painted on various shows such as Monster Garage and Pimp my ride. He has tats all over him. I was going to go to the international tattoo convention when it came to Salt Lake, even though i dont have any and dont really like them. I still wanted to go because my cousin was there with his display of cars. But i didnt make it. I bet your friend was there too. i bet they know each other.

Tattoos for me are just not my thing. I do like some of them but i still wont get one.

I bet i know him. My cousin is a world famous pin striper and painter for hot rods. He has painted on various shows such as Monster Garage and Pimp my ride.
well let me just ask you this, does he know anyone that could redo or work on a Mopar? oh do let me know:LOL:we've got one in need in the garage...

our sons probably have 15 between them.
much to their father and my shegrin, I was so angry:censored: at them both.
the little one so looks up to his big brother that of course, he had to follow.

Last edited:
If your body is a temple, why can't we paint the walls?

I am fully sleeved on on arm, a majority of the other, have the right calf done, started on my back, and can't wait to get under the gun again!

Tattooing is the worlds "second" oldest profession. It has come far from a right of passage, or something criminals have, tattooing is an art form.

I am actually more surprised at the comments I get from, cough*"older" people, in particular, older ladies. They seem fascinated and want to hear about it and touch them.

Tattoos are a very personal thing, regardless of if they are on display for the word to see, or covered up and hidden and "just for you".

:)It certainly is an old art form for instance the Mauri sp? tribes in New Zealand have elaborate tatoos even on their faces even the woman have them.In Japan it was also art. Many cultures have some way of permanantly decorating themselves. Im sure it was the sailors of old times picked up the art in their travels and of course people in the military also. Its interesting I would love to learn more. By the way its alot less painful now a days as the old method is I think a is sharp bone or tooth and they go around tou body basically tapping in with a sort of hammer.Very painful and the danger of infection enormous.
I will hafto remember a move I saw once.

Last edited:
:) Found it it my cool movie guide the movie is called Irezumi filmed in 1983 in Japanese with English subtitles.I saw it along time ago but recognized the title when I looked it up. Well worth watching.

it goes back long before that too. They have turned up frozen ice mummy's with tattoos, and once studied, the tattooed areas corresponded with the exact areas that they still use to this day in regards to acupuncture.

it goes back long before that too. They have turned up frozen ice mummy's with tattoos, and once studied, the tattooed areas corresponded with the exact areas that they still use to this day in regards to acupuncture.
well then speaking of accupuncture, does it help with tinitus?

my son has tattoos , some he has done himself. :ohmy: Some he put on ex wife while they were still married.

I guess not for me either!

I bet i know him. My cousin is a world famous pin striper and painter for hot rods. He has painted on various shows such as Monster Garage and Pimp my ride. He has tats all over him. I was going to go to the international tattoo convention when it came to Salt Lake, even though i dont have any and dont really like them. I still wanted to go because my cousin was there with his display of cars. But i didnt make it. I bet your friend was there too. i bet they know each other.

Tattoos for me are just not my thing. I do like some of them but i still wont get one.

Yea, I don't think they are for me, at least at this point in my life. But who knows, things could change.

You may know him, his place is called Flesh Works Tattoo studio, located on the island in Vancouver. He has been all over the place!

Tattoos

I have a tattoo in the top of my left arm that is highly visible. It is of the Doctors shield and a snake ( hope you all know what I mean). The reason for doing this is I hate wearing medical alert bracelets cause they are always getting in the way and I also hate wearing medical alert necklaces, cause it is very difficult when weraing normal jewelry. The tattoo also has in the circle the sign of a diabetic and COPD. All of which is very improtant to anyone who finds me. I really do not think that I would ever do a tattoo for cosmetic reasons. I am not sorry I had it done and this way the info will always be with me.

Nope, not for me.

1) Nothing I want or care to be identified as for the rest of my life.

2) Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing.

But mostly:

3) A long, LONG time ago I read an interview with Benny Goodman. He was asked why he wore conventional suits and had a conventional appearance instead of the 'fashion of the day' worn by the other hot musicians.

Goodman answered was, not an exact quote, what makes people special and unique is not worn on the outside.

Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.

4) Tats use to mean something. At least that was my perception. This perception is founded on my Uncles tat, a Bulldog with U.S.M.C. WWII and Korea.

can't wait to get under the gun again!
Oh gad, I just reread that. ^^^^^^^^^^ The "needle" gun right?
uff da.

One that my son got was of two sparrows. One over his heart, the other on the other side of his chest. It represents to him, his best friend that was killed in a car accident. At that one, I couldn't be mad at either, as his best friend "Danny Boy" was one incredible individual...
Goodmans answer was, not an exact quote, what makes people special and unique is not worn on the outside.Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.Tats use to mean something. At least that was my perception. This perception is founded on my Uncles tat, a Bulldog with U.S.M.C. WWII and Korea.
Totally agree with you Wart. Which is why I didn't pitch a fit when my son got the USCG and a ship put on his back with their motto. Very proud of his service and him...

Nope, not for me.

1) Nothing I want or care to be identified as for the rest of my life.

2) Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing.

But mostly:

3) A long, LONG time ago I read an interview with Benny Goodman. He was asked why he wore conventional suits and had a conventional appearance instead of the 'fashion of the day' worn by the other hot musicians.

Goodman answered was, not an exact quote, what makes people special and unique is not worn on the outside.

Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.

4) Tats use to mean something. At least that was my perception. This perception is founded on my Uncles tat, a Bulldog with U.S.M.C. WWII and Korea.

Naturally, you are entitled to your opinion regarding tattoos....but not having any of your own doesn't actually give your arguments any additional weight. On the contrary, it detracts from them. If you don't have any, or more importantly, don't want them, you could never understand the impetus behind a decision to get one. Frankly, it has nothing to do with conforming or trying to be different. It has nothing to do being special or unique, or where you wear 'it'. And finally, tattoos most certainly do mean something. Read my initial response to this thread if you doubt that. One does not have to serve in a war or be part of a military unit to have a tattoo with meaning. To suggest to the father that the names and dates of his childrens' births or the young woman who loves butterflies that their choices lack significance is insulting.

:) My tattoo has a lot of meaning it took me over a year to decide on it. It can't make me special or unique because its on my back and I always have shirt on.:LOL:My only regret is I would have had it somewhere different so people can see it.

Naturally, you are entitled to your opinion regarding tattoos....but not having any of your own doesn't actually give your arguments any additional weight. On the contrary, it detracts from them. If you don't have any, or more importantly, don't want them, you could never understand the impetus behind a decision to get one. Frankly, it has nothing to do with conforming or trying to be different. It has nothing to do being special or unique, or where you wear 'it'. And finally, tattoos most certainly do mean something. Read my initial response to this thread if you doubt that. One does not have to serve in a war or be part of a military unit to have a tattoo with meaning. To suggest to the father that the names and dates of his childrens' births or the young woman who loves butterflies that their choices lack significance is insulting.

Well, you sure read a lot of different words and implications in Wart's post than I did, Vera.

Your opinions are as arguable as anyone else's, regardless of whether they are presented as fact.

Lee

Naturally, you are entitled to your opinion regarding tattoos....

Why, Thank You!!

I'm highly opinionated and usually am not shy on sharing them.

but not having any of your own doesn't actually give your arguments any additional weight. On the contrary, it detracts from them.

Wouldn't it be convenient for you if only that were true.

[
If you don't have any, or more importantly, don't want them, you could never understand the impetus behind a decision to get one.

What makes this point nonsense is, by your reasoning, no one can hope to understand the motivations of any action unless that person partakes of that action.

So no one can hope to understand , say , a rapist or murderer or CEO unless that person is or has been a rapist, murderer or CEO.

That's just childish.

Frankly, it has nothing to do with conforming or trying to be different.

No?

It has nothing to do being special or unique, or where you wear 'it'.

No?

My #3, what you are comes from inside, how can anyone argue with that?

It's my personal belief the more one tries to project who and what they are on the outside the less there is on the inside.

And finally, tattoos most certainly do mean something.

They sure do, just ask any anthropologist, sociologist, psychiatrist or psychologist. Probably a few other 'ologists' too!

To suggest to the father that the names and dates of his childrens' births or the young woman who loves butterflies that their choices lack significance is insulting.

{WOW!, the nerves hit when not trying!}

Well, billions of people on earth, there will always be someone to take exception to anything.

I think this fad or trend of getting tattooed is most significant. Mostly in the questions it raises about the ... no sugar coat .... mental pathology of the person being inked.

That will rub some the wrong way. Oh well.

I could write more, about trying to stand out from the crowd, Jerry Springer, Non conformist conformity, marketing hooking into tribal identity, and so on.

Well, you sure read a lot of different words and implications in Wart's post than I did, Vera.

Yes, I think she did.

I hate it when people put words in my 'mouth'.

My opines and beliefs are usually enough to cause me trouble on their own, I don't need help.

Back
Top Bottom