Tattoos, who has 'em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tattoos, who has 'em?

This is the title of the thread not who doesn't have them and what do think of the people who do?

Seems like you brushed a lot of us with the same stroke there Walt. Just your opinion I know. And this is just my two cents.

:) Bottom line is its my body and I will do what I please with it and I don't really care what other people think. So if you color your hair or wear a certain style you can't project what is on the inside? Rubbish!
You could look at it this way that what you put on the outside is also showing more about whats on the inside. I still don't think anyone should get a tattoo just get one. It should have meaning.

Last edited:
Nope, not for me.

1) Nothing I want or care to be identified as for the rest of my life.

2) Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing.

But mostly:

3) A long, LONG time ago I read an interview with Benny Goodman. He was asked why he wore conventional suits and had a conventional appearance instead of the 'fashion of the day' worn by the other hot musicians.

Goodman answered was, not an exact quote, what makes people special and unique is not worn on the outside.

Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.

4) Tats use to mean something. At least that was my perception. This perception is founded on my Uncles tat, a Bulldog with U.S.M.C. WWII and Korea.

Trendy?
perhaps...for those that ARE trendy.

Meaningful, indeed. Every bit of ink on my body is significant to me, and will be in 30 years, or 50 years, or 70 years(if I live that long,lol).

As far as society placing value on the externals, versus the internals, I deal with that on a daily basis, but guess what, I am the guy covered in tattoos that most would thing is a hoodlum, or ex con. BUT, you would not believe how many people don't care, because the know me, and who I am. If you surround yourself with people that are open minded and honest, and not trend monkeys, I find the quality of life is much better. And for those that DO judge, I don't need them in my life, mo one should judge. And for those that are curious and ask about my tatts(happens almost daily it seems) I make it a point to reflect who I am , tell them a bit about the story illustrated upon my skin, and it is normally very well received. The most curious people seem to be older, and I almost always hear, "I always wanted to get one".

My tattoos are, were, and will continue to be my choice. Unless you have ever gotten one, you will not understand. You will find most people get either 1 tatt, and love it forever, or get one, and it starts the "addiction".

Trendy?
perhaps...for those that ARE trendy.

Meaningful, indeed. Every bit of ink on my body is significant to me, and will be in 30 years, or 50 years, or 70 years(if I live that long,lol).

As far as society placing value on the externals, versus the internals, I deal with that on a daily basis, but guess what, I am the guy covered in tattoos that most would thing is a hoodlum, or ex con. BUT, you would not believe how many people don't care, because the know me, and who I am. If you surround yourself with people that are open minded and honest, and not trend monkeys, I find the quality of life is much better. And for those that DO judge, I don't need them in my life, mo one should judge. And for those that are curious and ask about my tatts(happens almost daily it seems) I make it a point to reflect who I am , tell them a bit about the story illustrated upon my skin, and it is normally very well received. The most curious people seem to be older, and I almost always hear, "I always wanted to get one".

My tattoos are, were, and will continue to be my choice. Unless you have ever gotten one, you will not understand. You will find most people get either 1 tatt, and love it forever, or get one, and it starts the "addiction".

:) Another thing, its no party getting a tattoo most of them are extremely painful to get at least it was for me.

no pain, no stain.

I like the endorphine rush. the longest I have sat straight was about 8 hours, and towards the end, I was whooped! Had a bad body crash after, with a slight fever, typical reaction to a large patch of self induced "road rash". Typically, the longest I will go at a time now is 4-5hours, depending on what area is getting worked on.

I'll just put my 2c into this Wart/Vera fray... errr...'discussion'.

Wart... You are indeed being very judgmental in stating what is, essentially, your opinion. You did say (not twisting words but trying to interpret) that "tats use to mean something..." Is that NOT implying that NOW they don't? And when you say "Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing", are you NOT painting, if you will, all who sport tattoos with the same needle and purpose?

'fads' and 'trends' are used to describe the choice to get a tattoo. I'm quite certain that is not the case for everyone who chooses to get one. While you do not seem to understand why people (other than in your broad stroke generalizations) might get tattoos, you seem quick to pull the 'pathology' card on the behavior (unless it's your uncle's bulldog... gimme a break).

I agree that it really is what is "on the inside that counts" most. But we ARE living in a society. Are you honestly saying you do nothing to conform to the norms and yes, trends, of the society?

Vera... I believe your response to be well-written and insightful. I tried to give you some Karma for it but the site wouldn't let me. Well said.

It's my personal belief the more one tries to project who and what they are on the outside the less there is on the inside.

And honestly, this is just an ignorant statement, and I am NOT speaking for myself. You might just be surprised who has tattoos, ranging from Judges and High Level CEO, I know, because I have met, hung out, dined, and discussed at great length tattooing with these types of people. Just because a suit and tie is on the outside, you don't know what is under that.

and just another little interesting read: And from 11 years ago, at that...

The Changing Cultural Status of Tattoo Art: A Report

"The market demographics for tattoo services are now skewed heavily toward mainstream customers. Tattooing today is the sixth-fastest-growing retail business in the United States. The single fastest growing demographic group seeking tattoo services is, to the surprise of many, middle-class suburban women.

Tattooing is recognized by government agencies as both an art form and a profession and tattoo-related art work is the subject of museum, gallery and educational institution art shows across the United States."

Not to mention, the whole article might open your eyes to something outside your box. Not saying it will change your mind, or how you feel(neither is my intention), but just putting something out there.

Last edited:
a good friend of mine from a former job once told me that men get tattoos when their friends do, somewhere between a rite of passage and a fun time with the buddies. women get tattoos to mark things in their lives. probably a sexist oversimplification, since i've met people of both genders who just picked something silly out of the flash art books at the parlor, but i do know far more women who will tell you a deeply personal story about each drop of ink ("this was my PhD", "this was my miscarriage", etc).

i have this amazing image of vines twined on the biohazard symbol in my head (i'm a biomedical researcher), but i've never found someone who can draw it the way i can see it. until then, i'm not ready to have it done. i've had the design in my head for 5+ years now, though, and i'm still not sick of it.

and people, you know how a pic is worth a thousand words? the *one* we've had here is lovely! so post some more!!

Tattoos, who has 'em?

This is the title of the thread not who doesn't have them and what do think of the people who do?

Seems like you brushed a lot of us with the same stroke there Walt. Just your opinion I know. And this is just my two cents.

I agree.... I don't condone censorship of any kind...but on the other hand, I wouldn't respond to a thread about say, off-road SUV racing, simply because I don't do it, I won't do it, and I have no knowledge about what it takes to do it. A thread regarding body modification (which I wonder what it's even doing on a food board) gets nasty quickly almost the minute the naysayers show up. It's not just that they say nay, because some are quite capable of of that without the judgements and ill informed opinions. Rather it's that they say nay and proceed to paint general brush strokes about those who say yay with everything from being mentally disordered to being unable to have an original thought.

I'm very proud of my tattoos and the journey of life they represent. I look forward to warmer weather every year so they'll be visible. Huzzah to the person who said they are snapshots into the soul, because that's exactly what they are in my case.

This has been an interesting thread and I've learned a lot from it.

Having said that, I am still interested in getting a tattoo. Buck and I have talked about my interest in doing so. He agrees but doesn't think I'll follow through. Perhaps that's the case. Only time will tell.

However, my reason to get a tattoo, an American flag over my left breast, is simply a patriotic one. I so LOVE my country and I always (every day) wear an American flag pin in the same space on my clothing. My love of my country is very deep-seated since my father loved our country and instilled that in me and my siblings.

So, a tattoo is a very personal thing for me and others, which I can understand.

In our society it is considered that tattoos are only for tribals and gypsys, although nowadays many models, filmstars and ultramoderns get tattoos and teenagers are copying them.

I don't got any tattoos and it is also hard to find that traditional people like me getting any tattoos.

:) One could always just try a temporary tattoo. About 3 years ago I had a big party for all the girls on the ranch including the summer help. The theme was tattoos. I ordered a slew of temp tattoos. The girls went wild. I still have a bunch of them. This is what they got to choose from,rain forest frogs,butterflies,birds of prey,birds,angels,sun,moon and stars, reptiles,belly button tattoos,snakes,celtic art,mermaids,celtic armbands,samurai warriors, tribal body art,animals, roses,wild cats, Frieda Kahlo art,insects, eygyption, aztec etc. I bought them at Doverpuplications. Come to think of it I still have enough to throw yet another tattoo party.

A thread regarding body modification (which I wonder what it's even doing on a food board) gets nasty quickly almost the minute the naysayers show up.

It's the off topic section of the forum.

About getting nasty, I think my initial post was well written and respectful.

It wasn't until someone went up my backside ..... I didn't start the nasty.

Far as me not being allowed to or that I shouldn't express an opinion on something I wouldn't do? What a childish thought.

So, do you have opinions on thieves and lairs? By YOUR reasoning if you have an opinion on thieves and lairs you must be a thief and a lier.

Your rational, not mine.

I would say it's that type of 'rational' that turned the thread nasty.

:) One could always just try a temporary tattoo.

Better yet, there is a photographic process for applying skin art.

There is a particular mix, I think it's used for palladium printing, that is applied to the skin and allowed to soak in. Then a negative is taped over the area and the area exposed to sunlight , etc. Takes quite a while.

Then the negative is removed and the area fixed.

Extremely High Def skin art that lasts up to three months.

Read about it in the early 80's, been thinking about it since. Usually around Halloween.

Thing is, My #1, way back then I looked down the road and realized there was nothing I wanted to identify with forever. Lets say I got a TAT that defined me when I was 25, that means I'll be projecting to the world that I'm 25 no matter how much I grow.

Finally, for this round, my left ear is pierced. I've worn nothing but a diamond stud in it. A bottle of Jim Beam, large gauge needle, starter stud ... And I was 26? I think.

Not like I don't have some clue, BUT:

I have this sister in law. Last time I saw her she had 30 or 40 something piercings in each ear. And talking about getting more. You gotta admit that's just a little bit out there.

Then this guy shacks up with her for years before marriage. They both got tongue studs except, she got one for a woman, he got one for a man. I don't care which way someone goes, or if they flop back and forth, or if their both ways at once, more important things to care about. I just wish he quit showing it to me.

Best one is, SIL has a tat of a vine. Starts 'somewhere' under her 'belt buckle', works it's way up the stomach to over the shoulder and on her back. Where the others at the In Laws Oohed and Ahhed the only thing I could think was, Darn, It's so gnarly down there it supports plant life! If I live another 50 years I'll probably still laugh at that.

So, If someone wants to fall into one of the latest trends to befall our societies(s), have at it. It's your body, do with it what you want.

If you don't like it when someone has questions or wonders about you because of what you've done to your body, Suck it up. Get over it. If your that touchy on the subject then mayhaps you shouldn't discuss it outside of ink forums. That way you'll have plenty of reinforcements. And you'll have plenty of people to tell you your 'righteous' without much fear of an alternate point of view.

Like I wrote, my initial posting in this thread was well written and respectful. I had no intention of hitting a nerve.

I didn't have a problem till someone went up my butt.

Maybe the problem isn't me.

Think about it.

Last time I saw her she had 30 or 40 something piercings in each ear. And talking about getting more. You gotta admit that's just a little bit out there.
No we do not have to admit that. Just because that is your belief does not mean that has to be others beliefs. We most certainly do not have to admit that and to come into a thread about body modification and expect that of others is just ignorant and presumptuous.

Like I wrote, my initial posting in this thread was well written and respectful. I had no intention of hitting a nerve.

I didn't have a problem till someone went up my butt.

Maybe the problem isn't me.

Think about it.
Sorry, but it does not matter how many times you tell us your initial post was well written and respectful that does not make it so. I could type that I am 8 feet tall and live on the moon. I could type that a thousand times. That does not make it so.

Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing.

Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.
Telling people in a body modification thread that the reason they are doing it is just because it is trendy when they have already told you otherwise is rude and disrespectful. telling people that they place more value on what is on the outside then the inside when they have told you otherwise is rude and disrespectful.

Maybe the problem is you? Think about it.

I do not have any tattoos. I do not generally find them attractive. It also happens to be against my religion, even though most do not know of or care to follow that law. I have the highest respect for people who do have them though. If they want to get them then more power to them. I have seen a small handful that I have really liked. It just is not something for me. That does not mean it is not something for them.

Last edited:
A thread regarding body modification (which I wonder what it's even doing on a food board)

VB, I started this thread, just as many people do on here "Discusscooking" on the "off topic" section for a reason, < it's not about food. Just as others do too. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but it's no different than " do you like my puppy"/"the name game"/"DH is a dork"/"venting"/"excuse me while I scream"/"what book are you reading right now"/ "what's your weather outside"/etc. And as we all know, no one had to respond. I'm glad they did though as I just told you in the PM I sent to you.
This has been an interesting thread and I've learned a lot from it. An American flag over my left breast, is simply a patriotic one. I so LOVE my country and I always (every day) wear an American flag pin in the same space on my clothing. My love of my country is very deep-seated since my father loved our country and instilled that in me and my siblings.So, a tattoo is a very personal thing for me and others, which I can understand.

I see your point and the points of others too. I agree about this thread starting me thinking in a direction I hadn't previously. As I stated on here somewhere, our family name as a branch in leaves, the letters being the leaves, no one could read what it said, it's personal to me and my husband and children, it's all our names. It's only 5 letters so that would equal 5 leaves. Like you, I bet I probably won't ever do it. But thinking about it has been something I 'have' done. And like someone else wrote on here, I envision it in my mind, but it's not doable on skin so far as I can see.

Last edited:
VB, I started this thread, just as many people do on here "Discusscooking" on the "off topic" section for a reason, < it's not about food. Just as others do too. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but it's no different than " do you like my puppy"/"the name game"/"DH is a dork"/"venting"/"excuse me while I scream"/"what book are you reading right now"/ "what's your weather outside"/etc. And as we all know, no one had to respond. I'm glad they did though as I just told you in the PM I sent to you.

I see your point and the points of others too. I agree about this thread starting me thinking in a direction I hadn't previously. As I stated on here somewhere, our family name as a branch in leaves, the letters being the leaves, no one could read what it said, it's personal to me and my husband and children, it's all our names. It's only 5 letters so that would equal 5 leaves. Like you, I bet I probably won't ever do it. But thinking about it has been something I 'have' done. And like someone else wrote on here, I envision it in my mind, but it's not doable on skin so far as I can see.

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm quite proud of my body art, and was pleased to tell the story of them. I'll be in the Quarter in a couple of months. If the timing is right, I may get that fleur di lis while I'm there.

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm quite proud of my body art, and was pleased to tell the story of them. I'll be in the Quarter in a couple of months. If the timing is right, I may get that fleur di lis while I'm there.
I asked my husband about his tatts two nights ago. Asked him if he was happy with them both. He said yes, but now, wishes he would have gone to someone else as he wishes my mouth was more correct. Oh well. He says would have liked to go to that gal on LAInk as she used to be in North Hollywood.
Good luck with your fleur di lis and make sure you go to someone really good:LOL:

I got 3.

A bull on the left bicep
a unfinished lehprchuan on the right bicep and then a blue checy bowtie above that.

The bull has alot of ddep meaning, realized the bull/ tuarus thing after the fact.
The leprechaun was to fill the void i felt, i like symetrical stuff so i jsut looked off and its msotly becuase im 50% irish.

the bowtie was my first tattoo and its pretty high on the arm.

i got pics somewhere. ill post them later

Back
Top Bottom