"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My stuff arrived at my home on Wednesday 2011-03-30. The movers were great. They were efficient and very careful with my stuff. They measured the front door and agreed that it had to come in through the patio doors in back. They took off the patio doors and put them back on without making me nervous. They didn't scratch anything.

Here's a picture of the infamous antique table. Until I buy a table protector, I'm not taking the plastic off. It's our dining table.

Amongst the things in that shipment were some Copco, enamelled, CI pans: two under the table and skillet and saucepan on top. The skillet is completely unused, still has instructions glued to the bottom, and it is so old that the bottom is enamelled. They only did that until some time in the early '70s.

I also got a eight sets of this sterling flatware. It's from Georg Jensen and the pattern is Acorn (Konge in Danish). I also got a gravy ladle and two serving spoons.

I don't know if my mum ever used it. She bought 16 sets to leave to me and my sister.

There were also lots of photos. I'll deal with them after tax season. If I start looking now, I won't get any work done.

Here's a link to photos of other stuff from the shipment: https://picasaweb.google.com/taxlady...eat=directlink

Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Very nice to have those memories. I like the table. And, nice to know the movers were as careful with them as if the stuff was their own.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That table is beautiful. All of it is beautiful!

My MIL promised me her silver flatware, it is all very nice. My step Daughter doesn't want it and I think it should stay in the family...so now it is up to any Grand Daughters In Law that I may have in the future.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That table is beautiful. All of it is beautiful!

My MIL promised me her silver flatware, it is all very nice. My step Daughter doesn't want it and I think it should stay in the family...so now it is up to any Grand Daughters In Law that I may have in the future.
Thank you. I think so too. I have loved that table since I was little. We always figured it was the thing to get under, if there was an earthquake (I grew up on SoCal). That table should have water miles. It's been across the Atlantic three times.

Your step daughter may want the silver flatware when she gets older. When I was 25 I would have said, "What do I want that for?" I wouldn't have chosen that Acorn pattern, but it's growing on me.

I would like to use it for everyday, so I googled putting silver in the dishwasher. Apparently, with some caveats, you can. But, one site wrote, "Of course you can put your silver flatware in the dishwasher, but should you? If you had a Bently, you could take it through the carwash at the gas station, but would you?"

That one got me. I used to be part of a car detailing forum and I care about the finish on a nice car. So, no it won't be going in the dishwasher on a regular basis.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thank you. I think so too. I have loved that table since I was little. We always figured it was the thing to get under, if there was an earthquake (I grew up on SoCal). That table should have water miles. It's been across the Atlantic three times.

Your step daughter may want the silver flatware when she gets older. When I was 25 I would have said, "What do I want that for?" I wouldn't have chosen that Acorn pattern, but it's growing on me.

I would like to use it for everyday, so I googled putting silver in the dishwasher. Apparently, with some caveats, you can. But, one site wrote, "Of course you can put your silver flatware in the dishwasher, but should you? If you had a Bently, you could take it through the carwash at the gas station, but would you?"

That one got me. I used to be part of a car detailing forum and I care about the finish on a nice car. So, no it won't be going in the dishwasher on a regular basis.

The Step Daughter is in her late 30's, there's about 11 years difference in our ages. I have old kids!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #26
Master Chef

I loved looking at all your treasures TL and glad you have them all safe and sound now. That table is wonderful and you're so right about earthquakes. We had one much like it but I have no idea what became of it. Where in So. Cal. did you grow up? I'm in Ventura, just south of Santa Barbara.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I loved looking at all your treasures TL and glad you have them all safe and sound now. That table is wonderful and you're so right about earthquakes. We had one much like it but I have no idea what became of it. Where in So. Cal. did you grow up? I'm in Ventura, just south of Santa Barbara.
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley: Reseda and then Canoga Park.

The great thing about my "treasures" is that they remind me of my mum. Even though she probably never used that silver flatware set, it's a warm thought that she bought it for me and my sister.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

What would you guys use this crystal carafe for? It looks like it would hold a 750 ml bottle of wine. I have never had a fancy carafe before.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's beautiful, TL. I'd display it with something fancy and expensive like Grand Marnier.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
That's beautiful, TL. I'd display it with something fancy and expensive like Grand Marnier.
I would love to, but it isn't safe to leave liquids in lead crystal for even two days. The lead leaches into the liquid. Longer storage makes it worse.