"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

or a fine Brandy. I wouldn't use it for wine TL, you could have some staining issues with red wine especially.

Do you know what your Mom used it for, or where it came from?

Whoops, we must have been posting at the same time, TL

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I didn't realize it was lead crystal. If it were mine, I'd probably just set it in a sunny place empty. It should make pretty rainbows. You could put something in it, but if lead is going to leach into it, I'd worry that someone might try to drink it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #33
Head Chef

The table is certainly a beauty. And I meant to say earlier that I love the glass pieces with etched sailing ships, especially the green one. It never occurred to me that lead crystal would be dangerous; lead paint, sure, but d'oh I didn't put 2 & 2 together. So might that account for some of the English eccentrics of days gone by? If I remember correctly, the Mad Hatter and his brothers sprang from the mercury they used to use in making hats.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
or a fine Brandy. I wouldn't use it for wine TL, you could have some staining issues with red wine especially.

Do you know what your Mom used it for, or where it came from?

Whoops, we must have been posting at the same time, TL
I think she used it for wine or dessert wine. She may have used it for liqueur or brandy, because years ago, we didn't know you aren't supposed to leave stuff in lead crystal.

I hadn't thought of the staining possibility. It shouldn't unless it has calcium or other hard water deposits. Calcium deposits are a distinct possibility, since it was in Denmark.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The table is certainly a beauty. And I meant to say earlier that I love the glass pieces with etched sailing ships, especially the green one. It never occurred to me that lead crystal would be dangerous; lead paint, sure, but d'oh I didn't put 2 & 2 together. So might that account for some of the English eccentrics of days gone by? If I remember correctly, the Mad Hatter and his brothers sprang from the mercury they used to use in making hats.
I think it might account for eccentricities. They tested brandy that had been stored in lead crystal for five years and the amount of lead in the brandy was mind boggling.

Lead glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The green, glass vase has a picture of a Swedish sailing ship, Calmare Nyckel (Dutch built). It was one of two ships that brought Swedish colonists to New Sweden (along the Delaware River) from 1638-1655.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #36
Master Chef

Holy cow, TL!! I had idea no idea about the dangers of lead crystal decanters before today, and I thought I was reasonably well informed.
The link you left is really shocking, and an eye opener. I have a beautiful lead crystal decanter in my hutch that has been filled with a fine and frightfully expensive Brandy. It's been there for years, and there's really nothing left to do but pour it down the drain. Sob.

As for the possible mineral deposits in your decanter, I've had good luck with warm white vinegar left in overnight, add raw rice to it the next day, and shake like crazy. It will work wonders.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Holy cow, TL!! I had idea no idea about the dangers of lead crystal decanters before today, and I thought I was reasonably well informed.
The link you left is really shocking, and an eye opener. I have a beautiful lead crystal decanter in my hutch that has been filled with a fine and frightfully expensive Brandy. It's been there for years, and there's really nothing left to do but pour it down the drain. Sob.

As for the possible mineral deposits in your decanter, I've had good luck with warm white vinegar left in overnight, add raw rice to it the next day, and shake like crazy. It will work wonders.
Oh no! I'm sorry about the really good brandy But, at least your decanter should leach less lead now. Hey, is that the first time you have stored stuff in that decanter for a long time? Did you see the part where they said that the amount of leaching goes down with use? Makes sense. The danged lead is already leached out.

I have used white vinegar for hard water/calcium build ups for years. I saw on Antiques Road Show (I think that was the show) that English butlers used to use lead shot and swirl it around, to clean decanters and other narrow mouthed stuff. Raw rice sounds much gentler. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #38
Head Chef

I'd be careful of leaving that plastic on the tabletop for very long. Plastic will hold moisture in as well as out.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I'd be careful of leaving that plastic on the tabletop for very long. Plastic will hold moisture in as well as out.
Good point. I just want to make sure the table is protected when we eat at the table and I'm not well enough to go shopping at the moment.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Good morning Tax mate, I read all your posts it is allways a great feeling for me to get into my own bed after a trip but after your probs it must have been extra sweet, I found it very hard going through my Dads things.
The green enameled fork is superb, I used to collect crystal, I use denture cleaning tablets and warm water to clean the inside of decanters, I think your piece is a Ships port decanter, uses I go with Zhizara.
Tinlizzie that explains me to a T