Taxlady is back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think she used it for wine or dessert wine. She may have used it for liqueur or brandy, because years ago, we didn't know you aren't supposed to leave stuff in lead crystal.

I hadn't thought of the staining possibility. It shouldn't unless it has calcium or other hard water deposits. Calcium deposits are a distinct possibility, since it was in Denmark.

That's a lovely decanter. I would probably put dishsoap or bubble bath in it and have it on display (and used) that way...my great aunt used to put "colored water" in decanters and put them on a window ledge...some leaded glass turns "purple" when exposed to sunlight, btw. If it were mine, I'd want to use it and have it on display...it's too pretty to keep in a cupboard and your mom would probably prefer that you used it. Obviously, you liked it well enough to include it being shipped here--so now you have to figure out how to use it. You could maybe use it as a bud vase if you have any cutting flowers during the summer...my mom does that with a crystal pitcher that was my grandmother's--in the summer, fresh flowers, in the winter silk, and in the spring, pussy willows.

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm sorry about the really good brandy :( But, at least your decanter should leach less lead now. Hey, is that the first time you have stored stuff in that decanter for a long time? Did you see the part where they said that the amount of leaching goes down with use? Makes sense. The danged lead is already leached out.
That accounts for why there was a loud thud when I poured it down the sink. :(
My late husband and I had words about leaving it in the original bottle, as I wanted to use the beautiful antique decanter. I know he was watching and grumbling yesterday. :ermm::glare:

Remember the old movies when all the fancy people had a bar set up in their living rooms, with crystal decanters of booze complete with sterling silver labels? :huh:

My brother and I both live in Ottawa, ON. Our parents live in MN. My brother is single, my DH and I have no children. We have (as morbid as this sounds) been working with our parents for the last 3-4 years about getting rid of stuff. We have indicated the stuff we want but we are also encouraging them to donate some of the stuff that our great-great grandfather received from the King of Norway to a museum in Iowa (the grandfather clock, the Tiennes plate--I say plate, but it is a bronze plate that is about 2 ft x 2 ft, the dishes from the King, etc.) where many could enjoy them. I don't have a house to accommodate the clock--my parents built their house to accommodate it--my brother lives in an apartment and doesn't plan on buying a house, if he does, it will be in South America. The clock is gorgeous--primitive, but it is over 300 years old and I don't want to ship it to Canada. It has been tough, but at least they know what we want and we are able to get rid of stuff (giving it to cousins, etc.) while our parents are still alive. We just wish that people would stop giving them stuff. They don't need any more stuff!

That accounts for why there was a loud thud when I poured it down the sink. :(
My late husband and I had words about leaving it in the original bottle, as I wanted to use the beautiful antique decanter. I know he was watching and grumbling yesterday. :ermm::glare:

Remember the old movies when all the fancy people had a bar set up in their living rooms, with crystal decanters of booze complete with sterling silver labels? :huh:

Yes I do. My parents had decanters like that for booze, but I don't think those were crystal or silver. When I was little we lived in a three bedroom house. My sister and I shared a bedroom. My parents turned the third bedroom into a den. They turned the closet into a bar. This was in the '50s. They sold the house to a retired couple who loved the bar. They set up a bar in the living room in the next house. My mother was famous for her martinis. When asked for her recipe, she would say, "I drink a swig of vermouth and breath on the gin." :LOL:

Kay mate I dont drink anymore but when I did it was the only way I could remember what was in them. Its a good time to buy over hear but not sell as tastes have changed people dont like the effort that has to be put into cleaning antiques.
Cws I love clocks, I would love to see your clock, clocks of that age represent the genius of the period.
Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Kay mate I dont drink anymore but when I did it was the only way I could remember what was in them. Its a good time to buy over hear but not sell as tastes have changed people dont like the effort that has to be put into cleaning antiques.
Cws I love clocks, I would love to see your clock, clocks of that age represent the genius of the period.
View attachment 10494

View attachment 10495

View attachment 10496

View attachment 10497

Ooh, pretty. And you have the silver labels on two of them. I like that piece of furniture too. What does one call that kind of piece of furniture.

Ooh, pretty. And you have the silver labels on two of them. I like that piece of furniture too. What does one call that kind of piece of furniture.
Thank you Tax, it's a sideboard, the draw on the right is segmented for booze bottles the center draw is for cutlery and the left hand cupboard is for mats ect:)
We are a bit old fashioned I suppose.
We have just finished restoring a bergere settee and chair, my wife did the upholstery and I fixed the wood work the caning was done by a guy in Chester who is one of the few left capable of doing it, I will post pics if you would like to see them. We are quite chuffed with the results:)
Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

i keep hearing eminem's "without me" whenever i read this thread.

guess who's back
back again
taxy's back
tell a friend
guess who's back guess who's back guess who's back guess who's back
well i'm the tax lady
yes i'm the tax lady
would the real tax lady please stand up
please stand up...

lol, sorry taxy. i have odd radio stations in my head.

btw, i'm glad you mentioned the leaded crystal thing.
it is supposed that the fall of the roman empire was due to lead poisoning. they used to add a fruity mixture that was slowly boiled down in lead pots to their fairly rough tasting wines to sweeten them a bit, and recent testing of a mixture made according to the same historic recipe showed massive lead levels that would certainly poison someone.

so, caligula wasn't a bad guy, just lead poisoned.

i've had this arguement before with some old members who thought that drinking alcohol stored in leaded containers was ok since they had lived a long time without ill affects.

i mentioned to them how did they know they weren't affected, lol.
they didn' like me too much after that, but i blame the lead. lol

I have enjoyed seeing all of the things that tax lady and Bolas have posted but for me the best of all is the vase of lilacs. I cannot wait until they arrive here. Thank you both.

Aunt Bea said:
I have enjoyed seeing all of the things that tax lady and Bolas have posted but for me the best of all is the vase of lilacs. I cannot wait until they arrive here. Thank you both.

I'm with you Aunt Bea! I love lilacs. I just wish they lasted longer :-(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom