Teach your kids to eat fruits and vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
Are your kids eating fruits and vegetables?

Nowadays it's very hard for moms to teach their kids to eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Would it be easier if we have taught them during their toddler years? Will that matter or it will still change as they grow up? I have nephews and nieces who don't really want to eat vegetables. All they want to eat are junk foods or hotdogs. My sister can't even force them to eat vegetables, they will just get cranky and all.

I don't think there is any trick to teaching kids to eat healthy. They mimic whatever they see. If they see YOU eating well, then they will eat well. You just need to make things fun, and easy for little hands.

Veggies and dip is easier than something like cooked peas that you need to eat with a utensil.

Orange "smiles" are easier than peeling an orange.

They will eat what you eat. Just put out a variety and let them experiment. Be patient. I read a study that says it takes 21 exposures to something new before a kid will try something new.

I use brain washing. I hate hotdogs, but will eat brats, so I tell the kids what is in those dogs. Lips and a.... I'll stop. ;) 1/2 joke'n:rolleyes:

Gotta make food fun. They want to be like you, so eat your veggies w/a smile. You'll know if they just don't like something. We eat alot of raw veggies, son loves raw veggies(he's 14) but does not like cooked veggies.

they look up to you. eat mcd's, they will. eat home cooked meals, they will. teach them to cook, they will. If not, beat them w/celery!;):LOL: dang, that actually sounds like it would hurt.:ohmy:

I think I am pretty fortunate with my daughter (at least for now). I began phasing fast food ot of my life while I was pregnant with her. We still do less than once every three months or so if that. Not to put down people that eat fast food or things like that we just don't prefer it. She has been cooking with me since she was two and she would help me put ingredients into what we are cooking and she loves fruit and vegetables even plain with no dips or sauces.

She loves veggie salads with an array of peas, cucumbers, tomatos, a little cheese and even beets for heavens sake!!! Dont forget the lima beans either and she prefers with no dressing. Eek. Sometimes I swear she hasn't gotten her taste buds yet. I like raw fruits and veg but I'm not hardcore like she is.

I tried the hot dog ingredient thing with her. She does love hot dogs. I told her what it was made of just like you BigAl and do you know what she said?? "But mom it doesn't taste like...what you just said."

She did inform me about two weeks ago that she quit chocolate milk. She won't have it at school with hot lunch and she even told her grandparents she quit chocolate milk because it's not as good for you and there is too much sugar. She came up with that one on her own.

The only thing she won't eat without tears is broccoli. Darn that broccoli!

The only thing she won't eat without tears is broccoli. Darn that broccoli!
There is hope yet, trust me. My daughter has always been a very good eater. She LOVES most fruits and many veggies. The one thing she would not eat though, even though she would try from time to time, was broccoli. Well the other day she was at a birthday party. They served lunch which was pizza and a veggie platter. Well wouldn't you know it, she tried broccoli again and for some reason this time she liked it. Not only that, but she kept asking for more. Even when she had a piece of birthday cake waiting for her she decided she would rather have more broccoli.

Well wouldn't you know it, she tried broccoli again and for some reason this time she liked it. Not only that, but she kept asking for more. Even when she had a piece of birthday cake waiting for her she decided she would rather have more broccoli.

I guess if a kid can quit chocolate milk there's always hope! I bet that made you smile when she chose broccoli over cake. That is cute. :)

It blew me away, not because she was picking healthy over sweet and sugary, but just because she had such an aversion to broccoli in the past. You are right though, it did make me smile!

Kids is weird. Re the taste bud thing...kids actually have more. As we age we lose tastebuds. Cool huh?

So I lose my childish figure, my hair, my sense of humor and now my taste buds? Way to ruin my day Alix :LOL:

when i was a young mother, a study was done by a Dr. Gisela. in a controlled environment, they were offered an array of vegs. meats, cakes etc. everything you could think of. they found that over the course the kids ate a balanced diet. i did the same thing with my kids, and quit worrying about it. they ate many vegs. and as adults the still do. lighten up , all will be well.

Babe, right on:) When I have my grand kids, they graze from trays of veggies, fruits, at lunch time it is almost like an Italian antipasto only I make small sandwiches for them, tuna, deviled egg, pbj, I take left over roast and make a meat spread or ham, yep it takes time but I have them help and can they eat. They also love soups,beans...I'm lucky I guess because they will try anything once and are honest about what they like and dislike. It's fun fixing things for them.
kades

It blew me away, not because she was picking healthy over sweet and sugary, but just because she had such an aversion to broccoli in the past. You are right though, it did make me smile!
Wow lucky you, at least she's eating vegetables...and broccoli is my favorite, I could eat them everyday! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom