Technologically Impaired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jharris

Sous Chef
It has been brought to my attention that I have a friend request by a member of this forum.

As I use my phone app to visit the forum I was unaware of the request.

I've tried to access my user CP to respond but as yet have not been successful.

I have spoken to this member by PM and accepted the offer informally.

I'm posting this because I would hate to think that my lack of response(s) might be interpreted as a snub or rude.

This is definitely not the case.

And while I'm at it I'd like to thank you all for welcoming me here and making me a member of the family.

I'm sure you've noticed that I have contributed very little in topics concerning food/cooking.

Because I'm remodeling my kitchen as I have the time and financial resources the only cooking I do is for my Mom at her home.

These meals are pretty much quickly one-pots, salads, stir-fries etc. and not at all interesting or creative.

I am however learning a lot from you folks. I am in awe of and inspired by the wonderful dishes that you share here.

Thanks again all!

j, no worries.

the app sucks, imo. i've tried it and went back to using the full site method. if you can access dc from a computer, or just use your web browser to get to the full site, you'll see your friend thing on the right and it's pretty simple to check the box for the friends you have request from, then save it, or to send friend requests.

Jeff, I totally understand that it is a case of you just having trouble with the app..as far as I am concerned you are my friend no matter what :)

You have been a wonderful addition to our family and I for one and so pleased to have you here :)

hi J. You like the phone app? I'm having trouble figuring it out plus even when I am using it a pop-up comes up asking me if I want to download the app.

I am a good cook, as far as one can be for local type cooking so I have just been easing my way into the food sections..... kind of just dipping my toes into the pool.

I have no friends yet but that's okay, I'm a loner in real life too. I did, however, managed to make someone mad at me already. Do I get anything for that achievement in such a short time?

Last edited:
hi J. You like the phone app? I'm having trouble figuring it out plus even when I am using it a pop-up comes up asking me if I want to download the app.

I am a good cook, as far as one can be for local type cooking so I have just been easing my way into the food sections..... kind of just dipping my toes into the pool.

I have no friends yet but that's okay, I'm a loner in real life too. I did, however, managed to make someone mad at me already. Do I get anything for that achievement in such a short time?

We don't get mad. Just get our feathers ruffled a bit. But in one sentence, we are always over it real quick. If any of us have a real gripe, we go private with it.

I must be one of the few that has a simple cell phone. I don't text, have no apps, and have to have Spike set my phone up for me. But then I am happy. My phone is free and I have 500 minutes a month. I have had a free phone for a couple of years now and just found out I could text if I wanted to learn how. Have no interest. I want to hear the human voice. I also have Skype. That was a BIG thing for me. I get to see my grandson and can talk to him. I also make most of my phone calls from my computer. You just can't call me there unless you have Skype also. Last week wheile my daughter was sitting in the hairdressers chair, her phone rang. "Ma answer my phone." I couldn't find the talk button. I handed the phone to her.

No, I don't want to come into today's world. I like the one I live in. :angel:

Last edited:
ahoymatey2013 said:

Ahoy there Ahoy,

I do like the phone app but it does have limitations. I like it because its so easy to navigate. Also the only opportunities I have to visit here are during my lunch break (now) or once I get into bed at night.

Using my phone I don't have to fool with my laptop.

I do use the open browser option on occasion to be able to zoom on photos but that's pretty much it.

When I open browser the same popup appears but I click cancel.

I tried the DC app on my SO's iPad and quickly dropped it in favor of access via Safari.

I really like the DC iPad/iPhone app. It's how I discovered DC in the first place, by way of the App Store. It's really pared down from the regular site, but has the basics, and I recently discovered that if you tap and hold the title bar above a thread, it takes you directly to that thread on the regular site! Who knew? You don't have to exit then hit up Safari or another search engine.

Last edited:
I may do the smart phone stuff but that's so I can have the internet during my work breaks & since I work 12 hour shifts it's nice to be able to play online during my breaks. I never tried Skype & I doubt I ever will.

I never liked to text until I worked as a cook in a nursing home & the kids who were my aides at night made me text with them. I had such a great crew of kids & we still meet once or twice a year for lunch. They are all adults now but they will always be my kids!

I think the app is a little more confusing for me but once I get use to all the forums I'm sure I'll be fine with using it even though the pop up drives me nuts!

Thanks Dawg, I'll have to try that next time I'm on the app.

I use the Android DC app and like it, I use it on my phone and tablet. My messages come through just fine. I've never experienced a popup while using the app, just when trying to access the site through the browser on my mobile devices.

I like how there is a "subscribed" section, as well as a "current" section (like the front page of DC). I find this the easiest way to keep up with posts that I have contributed to.

I might be better at the app than the website!

Last edited:

That must be me :) Allow me to apologize for that. I was not having a good day and should not have posted all that without reading it over a few times first, and deleting most of it. :glare: I really am usually much more friendly. Hope you stick around despite it. :flowers:

btw, I use the app on my Android phone and tablet, and the website on my laptop. I usually select "Current" and "Last 3 Days" on the app to see what's new. Sometimes I use the forums, but usually I look at recent stuff. I don't see the pop-up when using the app, either, unless I click on something that is hard-linked to a website page. "The Back Porch" is an example of that. hth.

What I like about Skype is that it is free, I can see family members as I talk to them and I can make free phone calls all over the country. My DIL calls her family members in Italy and Albania all the time using Skype. I could receive phone calls for a small fee, but at this time I am happy with what I have. It takes very little to make me happy.

I have a girlfriend in Atlanta. She calls me every Saturday on my cell phone. As soon as I hear her voice she hangs up and I call her back on my computer. We talk for a couple of hours. Those are hours that don't use up my minutes on my cell phone. I think Skype is as far as I want to go in this technie world. I have no need for a fancy cell phone. I wouldn't use even half of what they offer. Spike just showed me how I can put my phone of loud speaker so I don't have to hold it up to me ear. Who knew? :angel:

That must be me :) Allow me to apologize for that. I was not having a good day and should not have posted all that without reading it over a few times first, and deleting most of it. :glare: I really am usually much more friendly. Hope you stick around despite it. :flowers:

Yeah, it was you but also me. I just got finished reading the rules and such from the private message you get from the admin (I can't remember who sent it) and from the way the rules were/are written it seemed like they don't want things to get combative which something like the content of that thread will certainly become. Oh well, it's over and done with and I'm fine with you! Hope I didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth either. Sorry :)

I didn't realize Skype was free. Now I'm intrigued. I don't think I'd want to do face to face calling though. I have that feature on my iPhone but never use it.

I probably don't use half of the features on my phone that I could do either but I like having my Internet while taking breaks at work.

My vacation is over as of tonight so now in the next 3 weeks I have to work 12 days then I'm off for another week.

Skype is free only for computer to computer. If you are on Skype on your computer and want to call a land line or cell phone, you have to pay.

Back
Top Bottom