Telepathy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was absolutely floored when I found out that they don't teach cursive anymore. I homeschooled mydd for the early years and that was abig push for us but even so since she never has to use it she has lost most of it. I don't think she can even read it. Sure makes a body feel old. (But literate.)

They teach cursive in Canada. Grade 2 is when they start, but they get pretty tidy in Grade 4.

With nobody using cursive anymore, Graphology is even more useless than before.:wacko:

Speaking of telepathy, I never really believed in it until I married Steve three years ago. Actually, the way he can read my mind unnerves me to no end and I'm always telling him to get out of my head as it's scary in there.
Every single day there's another example of his trespassing. Yesterday Steve was out doing errands and I started making tuna salad for lunch, but we were out of tuna. We rarely make tuna salad. In walks Steve with 10 cans of tuna. Like I say, there's a jolting new example every day. :huh: Finishing my sentences has got to stop too. This formally private mind is feeling invaded. :glare:

With nobody using cursive anymore, Graphology is even more useless than before.:wacko:

Speaking of telepathy, I never really believed in it until I married Steve three years ago. Actually, the way he can read my mind unnerves me to no end and I'm always telling him to get out of my head as it's scary in there.
Every single day there's another example of his trespassing. Yesterday Steve was out doing errands and I started making tuna salad for lunch, but we were out of tuna. We rarely make tuna salad. In walks Steve with 10 cans of tuna. Like I say, there's a jolting new example every day. :huh: Finishing my sentences has got to stop too. This formally private mind is feeling invaded. :glare:

Shrek and I do that all the time. Only I read his mind...freaks him out!:LOL:

Cursive is still being taught in some schools. I think my friend's daughter's private school carries it a little too far though. They start them writing only in cursive in Kindergarten. Her daughter was just learning to print legibly and now it is very difficult to read what she writes. :(

Alix, my fiance is a teacher and I just asked him if it's part of the Ontario curriculum (each province is different) and cursive is not part of the curriculum here. He says he finds it not necessary. We had a tiny debate, as I think it would help with young motor skills and keeping your hand steady etc. as a child.. he says there are other things to help with that like art and scissors etc.. I still don't agree for various reasons other than motor skills.. but.. ah well. That's the government. There are more important things to teach I guess.

That being said.. as an artistic expression, cursive / calligraphy can be a beautiful way to express your feelings / reach out to someone far away, rather than writing e-mail which can to some be perceived as impersonal on some subjects. How different would the feeling be with handwritten cursive/calligraphy versus an email?

Last edited:
Odd, I thought a teacher would be more in the camp of the kids should be taught handwriting, including cursive.

while they don't have cursive on my son's school cirriculum, if a student expresses an interest in it, the teachers will help them to learn it as extra credit.

my son decided on his on that he wanted to learn cursive, so we (my wife, his teacher, and i) have taught it to him.

My Dad was away a lot while I was growing up, and insisted on my writing letters. As the years went by I continued this and tried emailing. He hated it and let me know.

I finally ended up writing in word and printing it out and mailing it to him. He didn't really approve, but I found that writing in longhand I'd forget half the things I wanted to say before I could finish writing them out.

With all the texting abbreviations, I'm afraid it would end up like my taking shorthand. During dictation, I could write the most beautiful shorthand, but couldn't read it back!

Odd, I thought a teacher would be more in the camp of the kids should be taught handwriting, including cursive.
The kids in my class wrote in cursive, but I have a feeling I know why teachers are turning away from teaching it. It takes forever to read a 4th grade student's work that is done in cursive. You are trying to grade the paper on its content, grammar, and spelling, and to have to spend a lot of time trying to decipher what they wrote can make for a long day and a lot of eye strain. NOT a reason to throw cursive out the window, in my opinion, but I'll bet that's the real reason. They say that the reason they are doing away with cursive is that kids all have access to computers now (not true) so cursive is no longer necessary.

So penmanship is no longer taught in school? What, every kid has a keyboard and doesn't need to know how to write or are they printing? I'm confused...what about kids whose parents can't afford a computer or don't want their kids on the computer (or maybe there aren't any parents like that...).

(Obviously I'm a bit biased since writing is how I make my living...).

Last edited:
So penmanship is no longer taught in school? What, every kid has a keyboard and doesn't need to know how to write or are they printing? I'm confused...what about kids whose parents can't afford a computer or don't want their kids on the computer (or maybe there aren't any parents like that...).

(Obviously I'm a bit biased since writing is how I make my living...).
I agree completely. Even if every person on Earth had a computer, writing by hand is very important. Fortunately some schools still do teach penmanship,but it looks like fewer and fewer are.

At first, handwriting notes was like an unused muscle that had to be stretched and strengthened, but once I began doing it on a regular basis it became easier. I even typed out what I wanted to say on the computer and then transcribed it into handwriting! :LOL: Now, I don't have to, but at the time it helped.

I consider organic expressions of myself (handwriting letters and notes) a gift to those to whom I write. The very act says that I care enough about you to spend time, effort, materials and postage to let you know how I feel about you, even if for no particular reason.

At first, handwriting notes was like an unused muscle that had to be stretched and strengthened, but once I began doing it on a regular basis it became easier. I even typed out what I wanted to say on the computer and then transcribed it into handwriting! :LOL: Now, I don't have to, but at the time it helped.

I consider organic expressions of myself (handwriting letters and notes) a gift to those to whom I write. The very act says that I care enough about you to spend time, effort, materials and postage to let you know how I feel about you, even if for no particular reason.

It hurts my hand so much. Now that our patient charting is on the computer, both hands hurt. But before that I was handwriting chapters each night and my writing got worse and worse. It only looks good for the first couple of hours each day.

I wonder if I should wear warming gloves...

Bump.

I noticed an exchange between DC members where one sent another one a virtual hug. Even I felt it.

As long as I can give a friend a long distance hug, it's telepathy in my book.

Back
Top Bottom