"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
Head Chef

I was absolutely floored when I found out that they don't teach cursive anymore. I homeschooled mydd for the early years and that was abig push for us but even so since she never has to use it she has lost most of it. I don't think she can even read it. Sure makes a body feel old. (But literate.)

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I can't imagine not being able to read books.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
Executive Chef

If cursive is obsolete, do they PRINT their signature? or maybe mark an "X"
Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
Everymom

They teach cursive in Canada. Grade 2 is when they start, but they get pretty tidy in Grade 4.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Master Chef

With nobody using cursive anymore, Graphology is even more useless than before.

Speaking of telepathy, I never really believed in it until I married Steve three years ago. Actually, the way he can read my mind unnerves me to no end and I'm always telling him to get out of my head as it's scary in there.
Every single day there's another example of his trespassing. Yesterday Steve was out doing errands and I started making tuna salad for lunch, but we were out of tuna. We rarely make tuna salad. In walks Steve with 10 cans of tuna. Like I say, there's a jolting new example every day. Finishing my sentences has got to stop too. This formally private mind is feeling invaded.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
With nobody using cursive anymore, Graphology is even more useless than before.

Speaking of telepathy, I never really believed in it until I married Steve three years ago. Actually, the way he can read my mind unnerves me to no end and I'm always telling him to get out of my head as it's scary in there.
Every single day there's another example of his trespassing. Yesterday Steve was out doing errands and I started making tuna salad for lunch, but we were out of tuna. We rarely make tuna salad. In walks Steve with 10 cans of tuna. Like I say, there's a jolting new example every day. Finishing my sentences has got to stop too. This formally private mind is feeling invaded.
Shrek and I do that all the time. Only I read his mind...freaks him out!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Cursive is still being taught in some schools. I think my friend's daughter's private school carries it a little too far though. They start them writing only in cursive in Kindergarten. Her daughter was just learning to print legibly and now it is very difficult to read what she writes.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #28
Head Chef

Alix, my fiance is a teacher and I just asked him if it's part of the Ontario curriculum (each province is different) and cursive is not part of the curriculum here. He says he finds it not necessary. We had a tiny debate, as I think it would help with young motor skills and keeping your hand steady etc. as a child.. he says there are other things to help with that like art and scissors etc.. I still don't agree for various reasons other than motor skills.. but.. ah well. That's the government. There are more important things to teach I guess.

That being said.. as an artistic expression, cursive / calligraphy can be a beautiful way to express your feelings / reach out to someone far away, rather than writing e-mail which can to some be perceived as impersonal on some subjects. How different would the feeling be with handwritten cursive/calligraphy versus an email?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Odd, I thought a teacher would be more in the camp of the kids should be taught handwriting, including cursive.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

while they don't have cursive on my son's school cirriculum, if a student expresses an interest in it, the teachers will help them to learn it as extra credit.

my son decided on his on that he wanted to learn cursive, so we (my wife, his teacher, and i) have taught it to him.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote