"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My Dad was away a lot while I was growing up, and insisted on my writing letters. As the years went by I continued this and tried emailing. He hated it and let me know.

I finally ended up writing in word and printing it out and mailing it to him. He didn't really approve, but I found that writing in longhand I'd forget half the things I wanted to say before I could finish writing them out.

With all the texting abbreviations, I'm afraid it would end up like my taking shorthand. During dictation, I could write the most beautiful shorthand, but couldn't read it back!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Odd, I thought a teacher would be more in the camp of the kids should be taught handwriting, including cursive.
The kids in my class wrote in cursive, but I have a feeling I know why teachers are turning away from teaching it. It takes forever to read a 4th grade student's work that is done in cursive. You are trying to grade the paper on its content, grammar, and spelling, and to have to spend a lot of time trying to decipher what they wrote can make for a long day and a lot of eye strain. NOT a reason to throw cursive out the window, in my opinion, but I'll bet that's the real reason. They say that the reason they are doing away with cursive is that kids all have access to computers now (not true) so cursive is no longer necessary.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

So penmanship is no longer taught in school? What, every kid has a keyboard and doesn't need to know how to write or are they printing? I'm confused...what about kids whose parents can't afford a computer or don't want their kids on the computer (or maybe there aren't any parents like that...).

(Obviously I'm a bit biased since writing is how I make my living...).
Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
So penmanship is no longer taught in school? What, every kid has a keyboard and doesn't need to know how to write or are they printing? I'm confused...what about kids whose parents can't afford a computer or don't want their kids on the computer (or maybe there aren't any parents like that...).

(Obviously I'm a bit biased since writing is how I make my living...).
I agree completely. Even if every person on Earth had a computer, writing by hand is very important. Fortunately some schools still do teach penmanship,but it looks like fewer and fewer are.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I still buy pens and pencils so I can do my job, correctly.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #36
Executive Chef

At first, handwriting notes was like an unused muscle that had to be stretched and strengthened, but once I began doing it on a regular basis it became easier. I even typed out what I wanted to say on the computer and then transcribed it into handwriting! Now, I don't have to, but at the time it helped.

I consider organic expressions of myself (handwriting letters and notes) a gift to those to whom I write. The very act says that I care enough about you to spend time, effort, materials and postage to let you know how I feel about you, even if for no particular reason.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
At first, handwriting notes was like an unused muscle that had to be stretched and strengthened, but once I began doing it on a regular basis it became easier. I even typed out what I wanted to say on the computer and then transcribed it into handwriting! Now, I don't have to, but at the time it helped.

I consider organic expressions of myself (handwriting letters and notes) a gift to those to whom I write. The very act says that I care enough about you to spend time, effort, materials and postage to let you know how I feel about you, even if for no particular reason.
It hurts my hand so much. Now that our patient charting is on the computer, both hands hurt. But before that I was handwriting chapters each night and my writing got worse and worse. It only looks good for the first couple of hours each day.

I wonder if I should wear warming gloves...
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Bump.

I noticed an exchange between DC members where one sent another one a virtual hug. Even I felt it.

As long as I can give a friend a long distance hug, it's telepathy in my book.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote