Telephone Company

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I am bringing my problems to all of you AGAIN! Recently my older brother got out of rehab due to broken shoulder. I have to check on my everyday due to him wanting to be alone. When I use the telephone I notice someone is listening. I have accused the phone company repairman. When I do something to annoy him per conversation or screaming into the phone he has denied me use of the telephone. In other words, he is letting me know he has control of this situation. I have contacted the phone company many times and they have refused to believe me. Maybe when I contact them I am very upset they notice my state of mind. This is really getting out of hand that it affects me that I don't even want to use the phone. This person must have shift work as he has done it on weekends too. It is NOT my phone. I did as they suggested by unplugging the phones and waiting 15 minutes to reset, gone to the police, etc. Now they told me yesterday to have techinician come to my home will require a fee. Would you pay this? I pay for private phone w/option of call waiting. Nothing else. My brother said to get peace of mind I should do it. Please advise what you would do and I have not lost my mind. Yet!

Evesdropping

When I work in the office if someone else picks up the phone and monitors my conversation I notice difference in the tone of the other person's voice. Also he has cursed me when I have tried to purposely press one of the numbers on the dial pad. It makes a noise when I hold it down for few seconds. But GB how can I prove this? The police have told me that it is out of their hands and has to be handled by telephone company. The first thought that would come to my mind if it were someone else, that that person is losing it. For him to deny me use of my phone is not fair. He only does it for short time just enough for me to notice. If he would do it for longer period I could probably have someone give proof that this is happening.

This person probably knows how far he can go w/o getting into trouble. He knows the company will not believe me. Seems evil cont rols no matter how hard you ask for protect ion. I am not imagining this. I hardly used tthe phone before my brother got put in this state.

Do you have a cell phone? If you hardly use the phone then perhaps you could get rid of your home phone and just use a cell phone instead?

Keep a journal of when this happens. If you go to the phone co and show them the days and hours it happens and how long he is on the phone, perhaps they can trace it through their system. With this info in hand, threaten a lawsuit. I'm sure a lawyer could supoena the records and have him busted.

There has to be someone to deal with besides them and the police.

Yes, I can tell when someone picks up the phone to listen, also.

Half Baked

Half Baked, thanks for reassurrance an believing me. This does sound far out doesn't it? I will start to write it down about the phone calls when he is on there. Just that he is now doing it more often due to the fact I want to discontinue talking to whomever so he doesn't hear. So stupid. The police have more important things to deal with rather than phone call. It is not annoying to anyone else but me. My brother feels he is resentful to women due to the fact he is on the phone w/me. No one home during the day that much but I should have freedom to talk on the phone w/o him listening.

You think I have to hire attorney to get this straightened out? I bet not many people believe me. Just because I am a woman they think I am messed up already.

I think the cell phone would cost more than regular phone.

Appreciate your interest.

ITK, I'm a bit confused. Do you have a party line? Who do you think is listening? Your brother or someone else?

Sometimes if you have a portable phone you can hear echoes or baby monitors or stuff like that. Could that be what you are hearing?

Along the lines of what Alix said, I used to hear my neighbor's teenaged daugther's phone conversations over my baby monitor...and the girl was ALWAYS on the phone! It drove me nuts! Turns out she could hear clicking on her end.

I've done a lot of work with telephone companies over the years, and I know that they have extremely strict rules about eavesdropping by their employees. It's a violation of federal law (the Electronic Communications Privacy Act), and employees who violate the company's rules are subject to immediate discharge. There are a few exceptions, such as the lineman who needs to check your phone, but certainly what you describe is not permitted.

I therefore doubt it's a phone company employee who's doing this, although that's certainly possible. It could be someone who has tapped into your line to make free calls -- free for them, not for you. You have any shady neighbors, or bratty kids in the neighborhood?

If you're sure that this is happening, I would suggest that you push your complaint with your phone company. Don't waste time calling the operator -- go to the company's security department and file a formal complaint. Also, contact your state's Public Utilities Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to see if you can file a complaint or have the matter investigated.

ITK, ahhh technology.:rolleyes: You might call the phone co, have them either come out or have them check the line for interference etc., on their end. Sometimes, the phone co is doing work in the area, or lines cross.

A friend of mine also said that if you have cheap phones (that's the only way I can describe it so don't take offense, ok?) sometimes they don't really "hang up" - if you go to another room and pick up the phone it's like someone is still on it and you can hear "stuff". Maybe that's what's happening.

Convince

I only wish you all could hear what I do. It is so annoying to know he is on the phone. I paid over $100 for the telephone I use so I really don't catagorize it as cheap. I have seen ones for less. My brother would never do something like this. He is the one I am talking to when this person just sits and listens. Then when my brother hangs up I pressed one of the numbers on the keypad and when I let go he said ----- you!

FryBoy I will do as you say but this is time I feel I don't have to waste w/someone of this caliber. Such scum to listen to someone's conversation and get paid for it. He also prevents me from making calls. I told the family last nite and they advised me to go for a walk and not call my brother. What values. I surely wouldn't want something to happen and I wouldn't know about it. At times I get so frustrated with my brother and his expectations but who knows what I would be like if I broke my shoulder. The only thing he doesn't get to take a bath cause he can't hold himself up to get into tub.

I do appreciate all your comments and thoughts. I am so grateful you believe me that I am not hallucinating all this.

In the kitchen, maybe try a track phone. I think Alix is correct that you can pick up on party lines and even baby monitors, it's happened on our phone in the past.

Peace!

Yesterday, Friday had no problems. Relief! I am sure keeping a journal now as Half Baked suggested. I am sure it will be a source that I will not regret doing. Sure hope it will be beneficial to stop this nonsense. Do you believe of all the crazy things that happen in life and I have someone who annoys me w/listening to my conversations w/ my brother? Think of more important things this person could do. Have to practice not being judgmental as one of my daily pursuits. It ruins your hopes of trying to understand people and their motives. Overhearing others conversations can only bring your self worth down. Try to avoid as much as possible.

I certainly appreciate your comments. Always find source of acceptance here. I thank you all.

Last edited:
In The Kitchen

I have caller ID and whenever someone calls it shows their name and number. The only time it shows Private or Unknown Caller is when they have blocked their phone number.

I had my number blocked for many years and then I decided to unblock it.

Caller ID is through your local telephone company and I have 5 phones in the house all with Caller ID. I find it very useful and recommend to everyone.

Jill and Jolie

I used to work for "the phone company" so maybe I can be of some assistance. First of all - do you live in a house, townhome, apt, condo etc? Cordless phone or regular? How do you know someone is listening?

If you are simply hearing a clicking sound it could be that the wiring inside your home has worn thru or is rubbing another wire and triggering the "pick up" noise. This is not something the phone company would be responsible for.

If you live in an apt or other multiple dwelling it is possible your lines are crossed with a neighbors - INSIDE the residence. This is also not the phone companies responsibility. They can come inside and fix it - but they will likely charge you an exhorbinant amount of money to do so. Call your building mgr or landlord.

ITK, does this only happen when you talk to your brother? I ask as in the past a neighbor (who is into making drugs, as we unpleasantly found out) got his phone tapped by different agencies and apparently they tapped all the people that live close to him also. I would hear noises like you are hearing with every phone call; not to just one or two people. If it is only when you are on the phone to your brother, it may be him that is being listened to, not you.

FryBoy said:
I've done a lot of work with telephone companies over the years, and I know that they have extremely strict rules about eavesdropping by their employees. It's a violation of federal law (the Electronic Communications Privacy Act), and employees who violate the company's rules are subject to immediate discharge. There are a few exceptions, such as the lineman who needs to check your phone, but certainly what you describe is not permitted.

I therefore doubt it's a phone company employee who's doing this, although that's certainly possible. It could be someone who has tapped into your line to make free calls -- free for them, not for you. You have any shady neighbors, or bratty kids in the neighborhood?

If you're sure that this is happening, I would suggest that you push your complaint with your phone company. Don't waste time calling the operator -- go to the company's security department and file a formal complaint. Also, contact your state's Public Utilities Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to see if you can file a complaint or have the matter investigated.

I thank you Fryboy for your interest and help. Since you have been familiar w/telephone company I hope they still want to keep high standards. I respect a business that cares about their customers. People seem to be so lax about their everyday lives. Like everyone here tells me to forget about it. Hope I can get to end this trouble.

So grateful you all relate in some way and understand.

Interested?

Case anyone really interested, I cannot get any other help unless I pay for private investigator who will not be directly connected w/police. Talked to police, utilities commission, FCC, all say they cannot interfere w/someone overhearing my conversation. They all feel so apologetic about my inconvenience but I will have to resolve my own problem. He was on the phone today listening to everything. My brother, FCC, police, telephone company. He isn't on in the beginning but monitors what I say. I have blown a police whistle in the phone but he has some kind of device that allows him to keep listening no matter what kind of noise I make. Isn't life great? Neighbors have told me to get cameras beside motion detector on my house for the fact one of the guys in the area is walking around my house! I hate all this expense but what else can I do? I know you all must be secure or just don't let this bother you. It is nice to live w/someone who is normal. Well, I am sure you all will be getting big laugh out of my misery. Only when you read about some consequence on the tv will you t ake notice. Thanks anyway for allowing me to express my misery to someone. It helps when I open up some way rather than murdering person who causes my life so much anguish. We all have problems but why make other people miserable just because you are.

Back
Top Bottom