"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Head Chef
Have used paypal many times and have had no problems, but know, and know of, many who have.

We do what vagriller recommends and use our credit card and not a bank account.

After a while we were told by paypal we needed an account to verify our status (it was a legit request, seemed odd but we checked it out). Seemed idiotic after we had over 500 positives on eBay with no negs, but they insisted.

So we opened an account with essentially no money and they seemed happy and and that was that. But we still only use our card.

Yes we used to email folks who did not take paypal, as Sizzlin does, but found it more hassle than just using paypal.

We only use it for eBay for purchases, have never sold anything on it. Know some folks who do and they think it is a necessary pain in the neck.

That's all I know about it, my two cents worth.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #12
Master Chef
I have a PayPal account that I use with my credit card for eBay purchases. I've never had any problem with it at all.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
I used Paypal for several years with no problems. But that was when I was using it to BUY things on eBay.

Then, a couple of years ago, when I was getting ready to move across country, I sold off all my stuff on eBay and used my PayPal account to COLLECT money. All went well until I was almost finished. With about $2,000 in my PayPal account, PayPal suddenly decided that they didn't trust me (even after having had this account for several years, verified with bank account, etc.). They froze my account and asked me to jump through a bunch of hoops - provide social security documentation, employment verification, etc - to prove I'm legit. I have no idea why I got singled out for this, my transactions were all very normal. Lots of small sales, nothing dramatic. No negatives, or anything.

Despite jumping through these hoops, they still have my money to this day. Basically, I have given up on ever seeing my money. It makes me very angry, but without having money enough to hire an attorney, I don't really have any recourse at this point.

PayPal IS extremely convenient when it works. But when it doesn't, it's a real problem.

My recommendation would be to use PayPal ONLY to buy things. Send money with it, but don't use it to collect money. Or if you do, do it in small batches, then withdraw before you start again.

That way, if they do to you what they did to me, it won't hurt as much.

Good luck!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen
What Raven said.

Also, when I was rapidly selling on ebay, I'd keep the money from sales in that account and act like it wasn't there. So, when I wanted to purchase a gift for my husband, I'd use my paypal debit card so he wouldn't see how much I'd spent.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
Sous Chef
I love it for selling things on EBay, but they do have federally mandated cut-offs up around the $2,000.00 range to keep people from laundering money and other illegal stuff.

All the hoops that DigiGirl outlined are true for volume sellers, but if I recall correctly it's a one-time thing and once they've verified that your not drug pusher or something your good. But it was the dollar amount that triggered the freeze. It's also cumulitive over a specific time period (though I don't remember the time period, 6 months I think but I'm not sure) so if you do a lot of small stuff in that time period and hit the trigger amount you'll have a few hoops to jump through but it's all outlined in the rules.

~ Raven ~
Mike's Vet and Taxidermy - Either way you get your dog back.

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Thanks for all the great information. Good idea to set up a separate account just for paypal so that it wont affect my household checking account. My husband is the one that wants the paypal account and he already set it up using our checking account, so when he gets home I'll tell him about setting up a separate account for paypal. Thanks again!
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
Senior Cook
I was going to open one to pay for something until I read the fine print.... they want your bank number to transfer funds to the acc't whether you use it or not at their discretion.... needless to say I stopped that at once ( did not give them acct number) but I get paypal info re my acct that I do not have! I called them to stop but it hasn't in 3 yrs so it is in my spam acct. I think there is too much opportunity for problems that I do not need.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Digidig girl... I would take Paypal to small claims court for that much money! Might try to go o one of the court shows as an aid.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #19
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Swann
I get paypal info re my acct that I do not have! I called them to stop but it hasn't in 3 yrs so it is in my spam acct.
Those emails are not from paypal. They are "phishing" emails which try to get account info from unsuspecting users. Calling paypal will do nothing to stop these emails from coming to you.
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Not interested in Paypal. If I truly madly deeply need something from Ebay (unlikely), I'll have my Ebay fanatic friend get it for me.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote