"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2005, 03:21 AM   #11
Head Chef

I have an iPod and I've had nothing but bad luck with them. Maybe it's because I use it so much. =/ But I'm on my third one and it's dead again; luckily I have a month left before my warranty is up. I will be getting another mp3 player eventually, but I can definitely say it won't be an iPod.

Menus to me are just cosmetic. I'm like you GB and don't have a problem with using one that is a little more complicated. So while ease of navigation is nice, there are other things that I will be concentrating on for my next purchase.

The first and foremost thing I will look for is one that gives you the ability to remove songs from it. How stupid that the iTunes / iPod doesn't give you that option; instead I had to download hacks from the internet. Another really, really important feature to familiarize yourself with is the battery ... is it one that you can replace or is it one that can only be changed by the manufacturer or an authorized dealer?

Z

Old 11-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i'm curious about them as well. i know nothing about these things, but i got one today as an early christmas gift. mine's a sony. it's 1 gigabyte (s/p)
holds 695 songs. network walkman digital music player, AND it has an fm tuner. 3 hour playback and up to 50 hour battery life. and a built in usb direct connector. says it's skip proof too. i think it was 109.00.
just wondering if this was a good deal ?

Old 11-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i've always had bad luck with ipods so i got a creative zen micro, but i go for function and price. ipod is good looking and easy simple interface
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I've been looking for a mp3 player for a long time. I want something simple that I can work out with, so I'm looking for a flash instead of a hard drive. The sad thing is, I had a creative zen nano, but returned that because the store I got it from sent me the wrong one, and I had a big dispute about it with them. The second one was an iriver t10, that was "given" to me, but I returned it to get an ipod nano, but I couldn't find the 4 gb. But then, I saw the new ipod, and it was so pretty and it was only $50 more. It's so hard to decide what to get, there's always something new and cooler coming out. I guess it all comes down to my main purpose for it and what I can afford.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Vaness
I've been looking for a mp3 player for a long time. I want something simple that I can work out with, so I'm looking for a flash instead of a hard drive. The sad thing is, I had a creative zen nano, but returned that because the store I got it from sent me the wrong one, and I had a big dispute about it with them. The second one was an iriver t10, that was "given" to me, but I returned it to get an ipod nano, but I couldn't find the 4 gb. But then, I saw the new ipod, and it was so pretty and it was only $50 more. It's so hard to decide what to get, there's always something new and cooler coming out. I guess it all comes down to my main purpose for it and what I can afford.
If you are looking for a portable mp3 player for working out, I don't think too big of a capacity is necessary. I haven't even seen any portable with 4GB (1 giga is the biggest one I have seen) but if you are going to use it while exercising, you wouldn't want to spend a lot of time searching around the song(s) you want at that moment and you may want to change around the line up periodically, which means probably around 256mb would be sufficient. If I were you I would program several playlists on my desktop, considering the songs for warm up, lifting, low intensity cardio, high intensity cardio, stretching, cool down etc., and load the playlist I feel like that day into the portable before working out...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
If you are looking for a portable mp3 player for working out, I don't think too big of a capacity is necessary. I haven't even seen any portable with 4GB (1 giga is the biggest one I have seen) but if you are going to use it while exercising, you wouldn't want to spend a lot of time searching around the song(s) you want at that moment and you may want to change around the line up periodically, which means probably around 256mb would be sufficient. If I were you I would program several playlists on my desktop, considering the songs for warm up, lifting, low intensity cardio, high intensity cardio, stretching, cool down etc., and load the playlist I feel like that day into the portable before working out...
That's a good idea. Thanks! The ipod nano comes in a 4gb. I also like the idea of bringing the player into the car with me. So I've been thinking about that also. I'm indecisive and fastidious.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
I want to know how to take a track off a cd and post it online...Can anybody help with that? Will the quality be affected by the quality of the computer you rip/burn it on?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #18
Senior Cook

You can't assign multiple genres in iTunes... not that I've noticed at least.
You can make smart playlists though for each one, but that would take a bit more work, you could assign each smart playlist to pick songs with "whatevergenre" and then that way you could put multiple genres in, but it wouldn't work with the genre menu on the iPod sorting it into multiple categories.

I've had an iPod for nearly two years, but I've used Apple products all my life with no problems. And all my music was already in iTunes when I bought the iPod.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #19
Head Chef

I haven't found an excuse to buy one yet. I have tons of music on my PC, plus $11,000-$12,000 worth of audio gear, but no real use for a portable. Still, if I was gonna buy one I'd go with the Zen Touch from Creative. The popular concencus among audiophools...er, I mean audiophiles, is that it's the best sounding player. Plus it's cheaper than the iPod.

Lastly, the iPod is just such a toy for the lemmings! I can't stand crap like that! It's just a yuppie status symbol, like a blackberry. I'd rather have something that's not so mainstream.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:56 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Zereh took the words right out of my mouth.

I have 3 major problems with most MP3 players on the market.

1. Factory installed batteries
2. Volitile Memory
3. No SD/MMC card support.

These three concerns play into each other quite nicely. Allegedly the "more popular" MP3 player batteries have an average lifespan, under normal (teenager) useage of approxamately 18 months, and also anecdotally, these batteries cost as much as the unit to replace.

I may need correction here, but it is my understanding that most MP3 players on the market do not utilize non-volitile memory (memory that will retain after the power is removed) so when the battery is removed at the factory, Poof! There goes your playlist along with any music that you have not backed up.

Few people know how the Secure Digital (SD) card came to be. It was originally intended to be the replacement for the Compact Disc (CD) and were thus optimized for storing and playing music. When this did not catch on, it was found to work fine in digial cameras and thus the SD card found it's niche. But now some MP3 players are starting to come back to the venerable old SD card. MMC cards will do the job, but are not optimized for music and thus slower than SD cards.

Both SD and MMC cards are non-volitile and will hold it's memory for an estimated 100 years after power has been removed entirely, so you have no worries about losing playlists and/or purchased music.

Further, by spreading your music out over several SD/MMC cards you won't have all your music lumped into one memory bank like a bowl full of jelly beans. You can catagorize your tunes by genre, year, artist or personal preference if more than one person in your household is using your MP3 player.

So what do I look for in an MP3 player? Only 2 things. Replaceable batteries, and an SD/MMC slot. Granted, low prices don't hurt either. The rest is just bells and whistles that drains the battery.

The best one I've found so far is a generic player from Overstock.com called a "Mini".

On the subject of not being able to download from an MP3 player to another device, it is my understanding that this is a concession made by MP3 player manufacturers to the recording industry to prevent piracy.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote