"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Lightbulb Tell me about your mp3 player

I am looking to buy (or get as a gift ) an mp3 player. iPod is obviously the most popular, but a buddy of mine has a Rio Karma and loves it. He told me that iPods are great for people who are not comfortable with technology because they make the menus so easy, but for people like him and me something like the Rio is great because menus do not intimidate us and the Rio is a bit more robust as far as features go. The problem is that they have discontinued the Rio Karma so that one is out of the question. The iPod also seems to offer the largest storage capacity which is important to me because I have thousands for CD's.

What mp3 player do you have? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? If you were to buy another one would you get the same kind you have no or look at other brands?

Old 11-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

I do not now have an MP3 palyer and probably never will. But I do have a question generated by my lack of knowledge on the subject. Not trying to be a smarta$$ with this question.

Just how many features do you need to play songs?

Old 11-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Since I will be storing my entire (or close to it) cd library I will need various ways to organize it. One of the main features I am looking for are way to do this. For instance if I am in the mood to listen to jazz then I would like to be able to tell my player to just play all my jazz CD's, but if I am in the mood to listen to CD's from the 70's then I want to be able to do that as well. Some CD's will fit into multiple categories though so I need to be able to put multiple labels on them.

My brothers iPod has the ability to do video as well as music. He can load pictures on it to show off his beautiful niece . He can also load TV and DVD shows and movies onto his.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the tutorial, GB.

Yikes! I am woefully behind the times.

I have vinyl records and casette tapes (no 8-tracks) and CDs. I have to be in my car or in my home to listen to my music.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

If I loaded all my cds onto a tiny little machine I would surely lose it or break it soon after!

I have a little Ipod Shuffle. So does my little 5 year old neighbor boy. We share cool covers for them

I love it. I only holds 130 songs or so, but that's all I need to keep happy walking around or killing time. Plus it's sooooooo little.

Doesn't the new Ipod (not the video) do all that stuff?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure Jenny. It might. My brother just got his last week and he is the only one I know who has one. He can assign genres to CD's, but he is not sure if he can assign multiple genres and that is something I need to be able to do.

I love how all of these mp3 players talk in terms on number of songs. The makers of these things obviously do not listen to the type of music I listen to where a song can last anywhere from 5 seconds to 75 minutes
Old 11-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

What a great subject! How did you know I just bought myself a video iPod for my birthday this weekend. LOVE IT! I bought the black, 30GB model and have been in download heaven. Photos, music videos, music. You will not believe the sound that comes out of this little thing. The movies come out crisp and clear. I went to the Apple store to see what the hubbub was about this 5th generation iPod. I watched an episode of Lost on it and was blown away. Here is a link to read all about it. Happy Birthday to me!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html
Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

The black ones are so slick looking Wasabi! Happy early birthday. Have a blast with your new toy
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Thanks for the tutorial, GB.

Yikes! I am woefully behind the times.

I have vinyl records and casette tapes (no 8-tracks) and CDs. I have to be in my car or in my home to listen to my music.
This is how pathetic I am, Andy - I talked HH into buying me a new turntable so I can play all my ancient vinyl. Only the kid in our house has an iPod.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

My mp3 player is my cell phone hehe