"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another thought, many hotels, especially outside of the US, don't have enough electrical outlets. I always take a portable heavy-duty powerstrip when we go to Mexico.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Are you going to be staying at a hotel or motel? Most motels today offer the option of a kitchenette. Hotels no so much.

Get out your yellow pages and start calling the motels in the area you are going to be staying and find out what they offer for rooms. Usually the rates for a room with kitchenette is slightly more in cost. But still cheaper than a hotel. I used to have a neighbor who's husband work construction out of town. He always rented at a motel with a kitchenette. It usually has a two or four burner stove with oven. Small apartment size fridge, sink, coffee maker, counter space and some overhead cabinets for storage of dishes and food. Some even have dishes for two people. They also will provide dishwashing liquid. Any time I have travelled, I always stay at a motel with a kitchenette. And considering it is summer, they all have a pool. I doubt very much if you will find all these amenities in a hotel. And you will be paying more for just a room. And if the company is paying for your hotel, they will appreciate the cheaper rate.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Cook

I see about the insurance issue for them and indirectly me. A kitchenette may do fine. If not good maybe it is still possible for me to cook all my meals on the weekend for the next week at home then store them on my way up in the hotel refrigerator if they offer one. That still maybe an option.
Also I maybe ok with driving a few days and only staying in the hotel for a couple days out of the week to take the Burdon off driving...

As well I am not sure if I use the hotel near by the work place will they always have openings to stay in when I am working for this job. Will I be changing hotel rooms every week or can they setup some type of pay as you go but always have an opening for you 7 days out of the week in the case you need to stay?
Concerned a little bit if I take this job and have to stay at a hotel will it be difficult in constantly paying for it each day can I setup an account with them so when I walk in in a certain day I slide my credit/debit card and they give me my room. And the room can't change since I would have to temporarily store my clothing /work related items
Unless I was going to drive my work related things back in forth each weekend.

As well as curious if most hotels would have a laundry service so I could do laundry.
Though if not I would probably fit it in to the weekend I come down chores. I.E cooking/doing laundry ... though nice to know.

These are all options worth exploring/trying
Anybody that can answer some of these may clear up my question

I may find that I am just going to cook all my meals on the weekend do all my laundry on the weekend... and then just bring everything back and forth each weekend freeing me up to drive only a couple time out of the week long distance.
Though at that point I would have to have a temporary storage method for my cooked food (i.e time between refrigerator transfers so it doesn't go bad)
if I am driving to work from my home on Monday with all the food...
Old 07-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Yellow pages, Addie? How 20th century!

sam, here's a link for searching for extended-stay hotels, which include kitchens or kitchenettes. I'd start here to look for a place near your destination, then call the hotels or check their websites regarding their reservation policies: Extended-Stay Hotels
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sam, with many motels/hotels, they will do your laundry (you pay for it), there is usually a plastic bag for laundry that has a checklist, and many places have facilities where you can do it yourself.

I would pack a big cooler if you are going to transport food, freeze some bottled water to keep it cold, throw in a bag of ice too. You can drink the bottled water as it thaws.

You give them your credit card, they charge it for however many days you're there. You don't pay day-by-day.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Wine Guy

I lived in hotels continuously for 13 years - literally "out of a suitcase".

I had a mini-fridge, mini-microwave, and for stovetop cooking, I used one of these:
Amazon.com: Aroma AHP-312 Double Hot Plate, Black: Kitchen & Dining

I didn't have an oven option, but found I didn't really need it, as there was usually some way to get around it. For example, stews and roasts can be made on the stovetop using a Dutch oven.

I would also caution against cooking odors. The hotel management tends to get a little testy about that. For example, you may want to steer clear of making things like Indian curries.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

I don't agree that you should just do it and hope no one notices. If you are preparing meals and baking in your room.The odors will travel and I think other guests and the management may not be happy with it. Try to find a place that has a kitchenette, as suggested. How long will you be there?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Go to Residence Inn by Marriott | Extended Stay Hotels or Extended Stay Hotel - Hotel Suites - All Suite Hotel | Hyatt House to see if where ever your going has an extended stay hotel, which have full kitchens. They usully cost the same, or a little more, than a regular hotel.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #19
Cook

One last fundamental looking for locations question

It seems that most sites have different places then others.
So I am curious is there one site or a place / book / internet site that you can type in the location it pops up all the available renting places with in a certain mileage. I know there are sites out there but I always seem to find more options on other sites as well that I didn't have on the original site.

So I am wanting a way to quickly look at all my options not a site that has a lot of options but a site that has all options.... does this exist...

If not then how does the travel agency and relators/estate people keep track of this. I would imagine there should be a site that has all available places for rent or buying. If not then how would the government or economists or building industry keep track of this. It just seems if it was not in a centralized places or not able to be access the data in a centralized way (sort of like the DVM with registered car) then there would be chaos when a relator / traveling agency need to find living quarters for people ....

Apart from that just logic tells me one would want to know all possible housing available... and when builders build one would logically think the contractors or somebody hire up is keeping track of stuff that is being built , where ...etc etc. Make sinces to me. So why have the watered down partial list why not just provide everybody with all options.... even if some options are just affordable by the millionaires.

It would certainly clear up my choices when I think back and say did I really get the best places or could I have found something better
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
One last fundamental looking for locations question

It seems that most sites have different places then others.
So I am curious is there one site or a place / book / internet site that you can type in the location it pops up all the available renting places with in a certain mileage. I know there are sites out there but I always seem to find more options on other sites as well that I didn't have on the original site.

So I am wanting a way to quickly look at all my options not a site that has a lot of options but a site that has all options.... does this exist...

If not then how does the travel agency and relators/estate people keep track of this. I would imagine there should be a site that has all available places for rent or buying. If not then how would the government or economists or building industry keep track of this. It just seems if it was not in a centralized places or not able to be access the data in a centralized way (sort of like the DVM with registered car) then there would be chaos when a relator / traveling agency need to find living quarters for people ....

Apart from that just logic tells me one would want to know all possible housing available... and when builders build one would logically think the contractors or somebody hire up is keeping track of stuff that is being built , where ...etc etc. Make sinces to me. So why have the watered down partial list why not just provide everybody with all options.... even if some options are just affordable by the millionaires.

It would certainly clear up my choices when I think back and say did I really get the best places or could I have found something better
Realtors have a MLS, Multiple Service Listings. They know every piece of property that is for sale or rent within the area they serve. Sorry, not available to the public. It is based on commissions earned for the industry.

Contractors that want to build on a certain piece of property, usually go to their local city or town hall and look at what plots of land are empty and who owns them. They then contact the owner to see if it is for sale. Private citizens will use a realty to find a piece of land to build a home on.

So the answer to your questions is that each industry has it own listings and manner of keeping track. For hotels and motels, it is their choice if they chose to be listed with travel agencies.

There is no large central government keeping track. Nor would we want one. Too Big Brother! It is up to each individual town or city and the agencies that are based in those locations to keep track of what is going on in that location.

You have been given some excellent choices here to find a solution to your problem of locating temporary housing that will meet your dietary needs. It is up to you, not the government to make them for you.

The best thing that ever happened to the Internet is Google. It is your next best step you can take.

Tags
cooking