Texting message question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I've text messaged before on my phone, but not with the following: If someone says "text 123 at xxx-xxx-xxxx where do you put in the 123? In the Body of the message? Or do you put it in with the phone number before you open the box where you type in the message? I Googled this question but got no hits about it.

I assume the xxx's are a phone number. So that goes into the message header, "TO:"

The 123 is the message. Enter it in the message area where you normally type a test message. then hit send.

I assume the xxx's are a phone number. So that goes into the message header, "TO:"

The 123 is the message. Enter it in the message area where you normally type a test message. then hit send.

Got it. Thanks. I assume the 123 directs the message to or about something specific like someone there dealing with a specific house rental or similar.

The phone number directs the message to a specific phone. 123 has a specific meaning I'm not aware of.

You see this a lot for poll taking. For example, during Red Sox games on TV they have a poll. They ask a question as part of an ad and tell you to text your answer to a certain phone number. e.g. "Do you think the Red Sox will make it to the playoffs this year?". Text 1 yes or 2 for No.

How about 456?
It depends on how it's set up. Sending a code to a phone number tells a computer process to do something specific - add your phone number to a database, sign you up for a newsletter, enter you in a contest, etc. It could be any number of things. There's no way to know what sending a random code will do. Could be nothing at all and you'll get an error message (if it's set up correctly).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom