Thank You Notes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
I was taught to always write a handwritten thank you note for presents and to do so immediately. And yet, I find that even at my age, fewer and fewer people are doing this and they are not teaching this form of ettiquette to their children (my nieces and nephews, for example).

Further, I have gotten e-mail thank yous which (I guess) is better than none for gifts.

But do you think that it is old-fashioned to want to receive a written thank you note for a present that you have sent? Sometimes, I get an in person thank you--which I think can suffice but I still was taught to always write a handwritten note.

Am the only one out there who still does this practise and believes in it?

We were taught that if you opened a gift in front of the giver that thank you was enough.

I like the written thanks, but we don't make an issue of it. We will phone or email. The phone call is often more fun than a note would be.

I still send a handwritten thank-you and my children do as well. But I do see the times are changing and e-mail seems to be a way of saying thanks.

I think the saying "it is the thought that counts" goes both ways. If someone offers thanks for something either written or verbal or on email or skywriting or whatever I think it all comes from the same place. I do not need a formal piece of paper to see what they are trying to express.

I have always written thank you notes....almost wrote my hands off when I had my daughter!!

As far as expecting them from others, I am just happy to get a thank you in any form or fashion in this day and age!! My nephews as well is the perfect example, last year for Christmas on a big box of gifts I sent also including gift cards so they may pick out what they want, and for each of their birthdays last year...not even acknowlegment that they received anything, let alone a thank you! I sent stuff again this year, and I guess you can say it will be my last for putting thought and effort if my sister doesn't think to have them use their manners...or even show manners herself, since I heard nothing from her as well!!
As you can see its bit of a sensitive subject for me!! lol ;)

When I give a gift (any gift) it is because I am saying -- I care about you -- You are important to me -- I love you -- You are Special --- Not because I expect anything in return. A thank you by what ever means is welcomed and appreciated, but not required. Is it polite, and proper manners to thank people? Absolutely!

Thank You!

My Ex taught my daughters to write thank you notes and they still do.

I don't...

...but I always thank the gift giver because I want them to know I appreciate their kindness.

I have very arthritic hands and have found, surprisingly enough that they don't bother me half as much on the keyboard as they do with pen and paper. But I do believe in thanking whoever gave me a gift. So, they might receive a card I have made on the computer, an email note if they are far away (but always done very personally with a picture or graphics I have done), a phone call or if they gave me something in a container, it will ALWAYS go back to them with something I have made in my kitchen. The forms change but the thank you is always there.

We write thank you notes for any gift we receive (and send out Christmas cards to those that sent us ones), but don't require or expect any in return.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom