"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Katie, I have lost a lot of friends over the years. Several died in Viet Nam. One tripped out on LSD and flew out a 17th story window. A good guy buddy died of a heart attack at 28.
I lost my daughter, when she was 25, and all the older members of my family are gone except for one uncle.
I watched my best friend drink herself to death after her son died of a sawed-off shotgun blast to the head. Last January, my husband's best friend died at the age of 55 of liver cancer, thanks to his exposure to Agent Orange in Viet Nam.
And this spring, a dear young friend who was like a daughter to me was beaten to death with a hammer by some meth-crazed maniac.

It's so hard. But here's something a dear friend told me a couple years after my daughter passed. Something had brought the pain to the surface, and the tears started running down my cheeks. She took my face in her hands and said, "Jamie wouldn't WANT this!"

You will grieve for a while...it's just something you've got to do. But you must also go on living your own life, enjoying the memories of times you had together, and remembering that, as long as you have them in your heart, they are always with you.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
Contest Winner

Wink

Katie E. I do really understand, One of my Best Friends and my Father passed on around and on Thanksgiving , My Brother passed away on Dec 23th 2004, My Mother went into the Hospital on Dec 25th and passed on Dec. 28th 1987. Please know I am always here to chat to and listen.
I learned a long time ago they all would want me to be strong and touch as many others as I can. Because of them and my Barbara, I have learned what true Love really is.
Remember we all are one big family and are here for each other. I really LOVE YOU all no matter where you came from or who you are or where you live.
When I see you I will give you that hug I owe you and Buck. We Love you both James

Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Katie E and Buck,

I just want to add that it was really touching to hear from both of you about your experiences on this sad journey for Katie. I am so glad to hear you found happiness here on DC. Glad we could help. Alot of people brag about this site, and there is a reason for that! So many nice people, real people that are always nice and very giving.

Very nice to meet you both
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
Head Chef

Katie,

I am so sorry for your losses; I do know exactly how it feels to turn to say some mundane thing to your best friend--Hey, look at this!--and realize you can't do that any more. I am quite new here, but I also can feel how special this group at DC is. When you find good, caring people, you grab on and hold fast. I am glad that you are able to come here and, to a degree, fill the void that tragedy has left in your life. I wish you all the best.

Mick
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
Head Chef

I'm sorry for all your losses, and I'm glad you found us... and I'm glad I found 'us', too.

So many good ideas and recipies, not to mention getting to the know the personalities and characters on board.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thank you for sharing - all of you. Although the world can be filled with pain, it's amazing how a group of 'cyber friends' can give you a reason to get up in the morning and fill your day with laughs and smiles.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
Senior Cook

KatieE, and others who have posted, such unspeakable sadness happens in this world, no-one can measure it. The best we can do is what we do do for each other, and thank God for that. It lifts my spirits to read this thread, and be reminded how important each one of us is to others. I didn't realise Katie and Buck were H & W. How lovely.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #18
Sous Chef

(((Katie))) As has been said before you never replace those you have lost but, you can truly still love- I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.I'm sure you also know rthat we never really "lose" a person as long as we keep their memories alive they are always with us.I'm sorry you have had so many loses in such short time.I lost my son, my mother in law and my nephew in a two year span-it's not easy but, our spirits do go on.
I am sorry that I have offered you and Buck my welcome to DC sooner .This is the best place on the net.It's always like being home-there is so much love ,caring and sharing here. I hope you already feel like one of the family.Love and energy,Vicki
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Katie and Buck - I hope I speak for everyone (****, I'm gonna do it anyway) in saying that you guys are very welcome and have already boosted the enjoyment level of this site with your stories (that BBQ festival!) and good humor. We are all mostly friends who just haven't met yet.
Mudbug also speaks for me.
Katie, I have twice reviewed all your posts so as not to miss out on any of your wisdom and experience.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'm glad that you have enjoyed this place as much as I do!! I'm also glad that you have decided to stay!!