"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thank you so much everyone at DC!!

For the last couple of days, some thoughts have been bouncing around inside my head. I’d like to share them with you because everyone I have met at DC has helped me in a way I couldn’t have imagined and I’m sure you wouldn’t either. Let me explain.

Last November two of my dearest, closest girlfriends died (Helen and Dean). They’d both been ill so their deaths were not unexpected. Just unwelcome. I felt bad for their families not because their mother/aunt/sister had died, but that their deaths happened at the threshold of the holiday season. I missed my friends because I always made it a point to make something special for them for Christmas and had already put the wheels in motion for their gifts when they died. I still have them in a box.

They were the kind of friends I called just about every day. I shared stories of our grandchildren with them, talked about recipes, community gossip, compared the books we were reading and wanted to read, discussed movies, told jokes, cried on each other’s shoulders. The stuff that good friends talk about together. When they died, I felt as though I was near the bottom of a great hole.

Then in March, another dear, dear girlfriend (Danie) died suddenly. One day she was here. The next day she was gone. Boom! Just like that. Massive heart attack. I felt like I’d been hit by a brick. And I felt like I was at the bottom of the big hole. As long as Danie was around I had someone to call on the phone and talk like I did with Helen and Dean. Plus, Danie was one of the funniest people I’d known and was always eager to share a bawdy joke or two. She was a real, as they say here, piece of work. She never met a stranger and everyone loved her. That was evidenced at her funeral when the funeral home was filled to capacity and had more people standing outside.

I’ve spent the last several month having “I’ll call (Helen, Dean, Danie) and tell her about my new recipe for …” moments. No more exchanging of books. No more popping in to each other’s kitchens for some iced tea and conversation. No more sharing plant cuttings. The void was there and, even though Buck is my best friend and we spend 24/7 together, my girlfriend friendship was different and he can’t fill it.

Then SharonT encouraged me to look into DiscussCooking. The site she and I had been members of for several years had turned into something akin to a brothel. Sad, too, because prior to the decline it was a first-class place.

Now, to my point. Thank you, everyone, for bringing me back to the top of the big hole and filling it with your friendship and camaraderie. I’ve only been here a short time but it feels comfortable and loving here. And I have so much fun. I’m stayin’! It feels so good to be here.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
The loss of good friends always leaves a void in your life. Enjoy your memories of them often.

I'm glad we could help fill the hole for you.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
DC's Angel
Allow me to add an endorsement to Katie E's post. As her husband, I lived through this time of trial as an observer. I knew she had lost something valuable; something I was unable to replace. Girls have to do girl talk with girls. No matter how hard we guys may want to fill a void like that we just can't do it.
Since joining DC Katie's a changed woman. She has an extended family that is friendly and caring. Thanks to all of you for just being who you are. It's exactly what she needed. I got my Katie back. That's a good thing, Martha!

Buck (the guy who sleeps with Katie E.)
If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Katie and Buck - I hope I speak for everyone (****, I'm gonna do it anyway) in saying that you guys are very welcome and have already boosted the enjoyment level of this site with your stories (that BBQ festival!) and good humor. We are all mostly friends who just haven't met yet.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We're glad to have you as friends and as part of our online family.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
We are glad to have you here!
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef
What nice things to say and certainly the way we all feel.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer
Mudbug you can sure speak for me!

Katie, I am so glad the members here have been able to make your loss somewhat less painful. We are thrilled that both you and Buck have joined us and become part of the family!
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Katie, I have 4 high school girlfriends that I see 2 or 3 times a year and they are only a phone call away. One of them is ill with diabetes. I cannot imagine the loss of any of my golden girls. It brings a smile to my face to learn that we here at DC has helped you with your loss. We welcome you and Buck with open arms. Don't forget, I'm only a pm away if you need to talk.
With Warm Aloha, Linda
wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
no one, noting will take the place of your dear friends. But, I'm so glad you've found us and that this wonderful group I'm so proud of has made you welcome. You do know that you are now part of a great big family that cares and will always offer you a hand, a pat, a smile. And you will always beable to come here and know that you're loved. Your kind words make me feel once again that I've found that special place we all seek.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote