Thanksgiving Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Are You Happy With What is Served?

• I would enjoy eating appetizers through out the day! :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like to eat rare and unique things! :)

• Just give me the dessert and I will be happy! :)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Believe me if I didn't like the old big bird and the traditional things we do each year, I'd be on a slow boat to somewhere else:LOL:

kadesma

Love everything about ours. It's holiday comfort food for me. Some of the dishes have been served for generations, which connects me to my past family. I love passing down dishes to my children who ask for the recipes, not out of obligation but out of love for them.

Most of the time it's the same menu, with a few variations on some of the dishes. I particularly like to "play" with cranberry and sweet potato dishes. The rest is tried-and-true family favorites. Mostly it's kind of "if it ain't broke, don't break it" kind of menu.

It's a menu of warm fuzzies that makes everyone in our house feel good!

Last edited:
goboenomo said:
I was happy when it was served..... Over a month ago!

Well, gobo - although your Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October, here in the States it's the 4th Thursday in November. Funny - none of our Canadian members have never had a problem understanding our American Thanksgiving discussions before ... and that includes some of our Moderators and Administrators.

Am I happy with what is served, DEADLY SUSHI? Sure! I'm the cook!!! I learned long ago - the best way to avoid a bad meal at your in-laws is to host the party and cook the meal yourself!

I have no problems at all.
I was just messing around.
That's why I put the :D.

Why do you think I have a problem with it?

I, like most folks, voted for the "Traditional" stuff, although normally, I'm a very adventurous eater and cook.

Now, my step-father, he would rather go to Denny's or somewhere and buy a meal, as he hates leftovers. This year, my parent's aren't even doing anything other than a small meal for themselves.

Normally I would live on little dishes, appetizers, tapas, mezze dishes.

But on Thanksgiving, we do the whole routine.

Dut to work considerations, this year we are cutting back a bit and bought a precooked smoked turkey. But everything else is from scratch, just put the cornbread dressing in the oven.

Going to take a brief nap, and then there is one more side and the gravy to finish and we are ready to eat.

Of course I'm happy with what is made, I made it all myself! Wont be ready for a couple more hours though.

Any other day of the year I am fine with experimenting with other things, but Thanksgiving is always turkey, bread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry salad, fruit salad, Waldorf salad, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, baby peas, rolls, black olives, green olives, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. The only deviation from this (since the day my mom accidentally left them in the microwave and no one noticed until they were found the next day!) is that we sometimes don't have the peas. Any other variation of this meal would result in some horrible rip in the fabric of time and space, and I would hate to be responsible for that! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

:) Barbara

i voted for traditional fare (not faire).

gotta have turkey, stuffing/dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed taters, string beans, mashed turnips, and pearl onions in cream sauce.

if one of these is missing, it's not the same. sorta like an equation.

Put me in the traditional catagory. I'm w/ Barbara L, it could be disastrous to change the menu. One neat thing we've added to our tradition, I always made the stuffing and it's a family favorite but I never wrote it down and the girls were always fussing, "what if something happened to you..?". So last year my 8 yr old gdtr came over on Wednesday and helped me make it while writing down the recipe. This year she did most of the work with my assistance. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom