"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Half Baked

I am only responsible for an Appy this year.YAH!

I am thinking about pumpkin butter on top cream cheese served with wheat thins but it is probably a little too much like pumpkin pie.

Maybe a hot crab dip.I have not had one with this family yet.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

i figure my Mom & new-Dad'll be cooking; turkey, potoato, that kinda food; my new-Dad says 'make Le Corden Bleu food!' so i'll be making a few foods, hmmmm~

Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Master Chef

We're meeting at Dad's this year. He's ordered a smoked turkey. My middle sister will go over and help him get it cooked. The other 3 women will bring the sides and dessert. I forget what the others are bringing but I'm responsible for 1 pumpkin pie and the stuffing.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Master Chef

Ok I am making my menu/recipe/shopping list and this is the tentive menu.
But it can and probably will change between now and turkey day as people ummmmmmmmmmm add their opinions!!

Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Buckytom, I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor! Do you have one of those bag sealing things? Lucy can stew down the pumpkin and freeze a bunch so that you can remember your neighbor for a couple of years at feasts. (I know you're not supposed to leave stuff that long, but pumpkin in a sealed thing seems to last forever.)

The apple pie sounds amazing. So far, the menus sounds fantastic. yum!
thanks, alix. that's a great idea. i was just looking into those vacu-seal things.

wow, mofet. are you making all of that by yourself?

ok, i just found out that we are making the turkey, the stuffing/dressing, gravy, and an apple and a pumpkin pie. i decided to get a fresh turkey this year from here: Home
i wonder if it will be any better than an injected, frozen one from the supermarket?

sis #1 and my mom are making savory green beans, broccoli rabe, mashed turnips, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, shrimp cocktail, and a pickles and olives platter.

sis #2 hopefully will just show up with her kids. that'd be good enough.

don't know where my brother is going, but it seems since his inlaws passed away, his wife isn't into a family thing anymore. not that she was before, either. lovely, ice-in-their-veins pennsylvania germans, they are. (sorry about the mini-rant)

sis's #3 and 4 are going to thier in-laws with their clans, i think.

now i have to figure out how to transport a blazing hot, 20 lb turkey for an hour and a half car ride down the parkway, along with the pies and stuffing, all while the gravy gets defatted.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
now i have to figure out how to transport a blazing hot, 20 lb turkey for an hour and a half car ride down the parkway, along with the pies and stuffing, all while the gravy gets defatted.
Covered turkey in pan, wrapped in a blanket you don't care about and sealed in an ice cooler. Pack more towels, etc around so it won't budge and will help insulate.

Yes, I've carted TD to another town, in a blizzard...uphill...both ways.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks princess fee.

i was just thinking of flipping it to rest breast side down on the rack, tenting with foil, then the towel wrap thing.

i think i'll also slightly undercook it so the carry over will stop around 150-160, then finish it in a very hot oven at mom and dad's.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
thanks princess fee.

i was just thinking of flipping it to rest breast side down on the rack, tenting with foil, then the towel wrap thing.

i think i'll also slightly undercook it so the carry over will stop around 150-160, then finish it in a very hot oven at mom and dad's.
You are welcome BuckyTom! I've also carted soups in the same way, I think I use my ice coolers as warmers more than I've ever used them to keep things cool.

And they are much easier to clean than upholstery.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, tell me about it.

i cart 6 full sized trays of food into nyc every year for our christmas party. the trays of lasagnas, pasta primavera, and pulled pork travel well, but i have nice red stains on the back seat of my truck from the trays of sunday gravy sloshing about as i took the turns on the ramps off the george washington bridge at speed.

i won't even mention the time i forgot to secure a large bottle of kimchee in the back seat on the way home from a korean market, and when it slid, i heard the teeniest crack. kimchee juice for everyone!!!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
lol, tell me about it.

i cart 6 full sized trays of food into nyc every year for our christmas party. the trays of lasagnas, pasta primavera, and pulled pork travel well, but i have nice red stains on the back seat of my truck from the trays of sunday gravy sloshing about as i took the turns on the ramps off the george washington bridge at speed.

i won't even mention the time i forgot to secure a large bottle of kimchee in the back seat on the way home from a korean market, and when it slid, i heard the teeniest crack. kimchee juice for everyone!!!
Smells like the lunchwagon just pulled up!!! I had a brand new Ranger I christened within two weeks with turkey juice and grease. We,ve had the Subaru for a couple ot months now...waiting to see what we spill first. I know you are on your way to sleep now, BuckyTom, but have a good sleep anyway!