"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #61
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Thank you for replying.

My son has to work 12 hours on Thanksgiving. By the time he gets off work at 6pm gets his children from their mothers and shows up it will probably be 7:30. So sense I am getting laid off on the 30th, we are just postponing until a later date.
On Thanksgiving day I will probably have my own recipe of (was chicken) Turkey and rice, Smells like Thanksgiving. Veggies with.

But on the postponed day:

Roast Turkey
Stuffed Ham
Stuffing regular/vegetarian (oldest granddaugher)
Gravy
Mashed russet potatoes
Sweet Potato Casserole with nut crumb topping
Green Beans with lemon pepper
Corn
Cranberry Sauce
Lion House Rolls

Pumpkin and Apple Crunch Pies
Change in plans. I am cooking on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #62
Head Chef

Any interesting (but harmless) kitchen calamaties to report? After Googling & researching on DC and dithering, using my fool-proof (ha) method, I managed to get the turkey fully cooked fully an hour early. Drat. But I just went ahead and sliced and refrigerated, then nuked when my guests arrived.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Any interesting (but harmless) kitchen calamaties to report? After Googling & researching on DC and dithering, using my fool-proof (ha) method, I managed to get the turkey fully cooked fully an hour early. Drat. But I just went ahead and sliced and refrigerated, then nuked when my guests arrived.
No problems here, Shrek and I changed the menu a bit, just not up for a huge meal. We'll see how it goes over the weekend when I have more time.

Stuffing with turkey in it
Smashed potatoes
Gravy
Cranberry sauce

Pumpkin Pie later
Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

was making mushroom gratin and discovered i had no bread crumbs for the top. not to worry, had ritz crackers, made crumbs out of them. looks great, will see how it tastes in about an hour.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #65
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I decided at that last minute not to make the carrots. With the sprouts and green bean casserol we had more than enough sides.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Since my wife's family is all away this year we did a small Thanksgiving. Just a smoked turkey with an apple sage glaze, apple and sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, smoked turkey gravy, cranberry sauce, candied butternut squash and pumpkin creme brulee(the brulee was wonderful)
Old 11-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #67
Master Chef

I did my turkey unstuffed which was supposed to take 4 1/2 - 5 hours BUT I used convection roast and it was done in 3 hours!! No problem I usually let it rest for several hours before carving. This makes carving so much easier!!

Unstuffed turkey with herb butter (chopped fresh thyme & sage, salt and pepper & sprigs of fresh rosemary under the skin and rubbed on the outside of the skin with the herb butter, salt & ground peppercorns). Cavity is stuffed with sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme & sage.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Cream cheese, green olive & walnut poppers

Cranberry, tangerine & pecan relish (made with Ideal white & brown sugar sub)

Carved Turkey

Dinner is served - Turkey, cold fresh string bean salad (sliced garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, sea salt & ground peppercorns), mashed acorn squash & sweet potato (Ideal brown sugar sub, sugar free maple syrup, cinnamon & butter), dressing/stuffing, mashed red & Yukon potatoes (butter, sour cream & fresh chives), sautéed mushrooms, buttered steamed Brussels sprouts, turkey gravy, cranberry, tangerine & pecan relish & olive poppers.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #68
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
was making mushroom gratin and discovered i had no bread crumbs for the top. not to worry, had ritz crackers, made crumbs out of them. looks great, will see how it tastes in about an hour.
Quick thinking, I bet it was great!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

it was wonderful. should have made four times as much. i can see where this smaller version will become a main dish just for me. thanks laurie
Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #70
Head Chef

Wow, msmofet, what a beautiful spread!