Thanksgiving Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I know it's early, but I'm curious what's on your menu for the big day?
I'm having the meal here for the first time in almost 5 years. We will be having prime rib,and stuffing that I learned from a former member here. I use 4 loaves of bread cut into cubes,2 white and 2 wheat lots of butter and stock, poultry seasoning,sauted onion,celery and mushrooms. mashed garlic potatoes, gravey homemade pasta and gravy artichokes with garlic,parsley and evoo, the same for garbanzo's mashed sweet potatoes with butter, home made rolls,pumpkin pie,chocolate pie and for starters smoked shite fish either salad of dip on toasted bagels and an anti-pasto platter with peppers,olives,onions,rolled salami,prosciutto,mortadella and several cheeses
What are you planning?
kades

Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, pumpkin soup, veggies ( not sure what yet), crescent rolls, apple and pumpkin pie.

it's looking like the bird will be a chicken, with some sort of sweet potatoes:LOL:....and I have too many pecans in the freezer so will probably do a pecan pie;)....that's it so far..

1. Turkey
  2. Stuffing/dressing
  3. Mashed taters
  4. Mashed sweet potato/acorn squash
  5. Veggies TBDL
  6. Gravy
  7. Cranberry, Tangerine & pecan relish (uncooked)
  8. Pumpkin and /or apple Pie
  9. Stuffed mushrooms or stuffed artichokes
Thats a rough draft it may change later.

will have whatever my host serves, don't know who is having it this year. i quit cooking the meal a couple of years ago. it just was wearing me out to much to enjoy myself. will contribute whatever they ask for and will do some baking.

The apartments where I live is hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner for the residents on Tuesday so I don't plan anything special for Thursday.

I am hoping that sometime after Christmas I'll be able to buy a small, cheap turkey (and roasting pan) and cook it up along with a pan of simple dressing, just to stock the freezer with some turkey & stuffing. I'm thinking my DN (dear neighbor) Margie would like to split one with me.

my eldest sis called me to coordinate thanksgiving dinner sat my parents' house this year. we don't want them to cook, so she'll probably go down to their house the night before and make the turkey.

i hope all of my other siblings realize that my/our parents don't have many of these left and decide to show up.

in either case, we'll probably make the dressing/stuffing, some sweet potato or baked squash dish, a potato dish, and dw's apple pie:( http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/lucys-chunkalicious-apple-pie-52798.html )

she also wants to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. it'll mean a lot to her as it will be made from pumpkins from our recently deceased neighbor's pumpkin patch. our neighbor was almost dw's second mom when she was growing up. their son offered to let us pick a few of the last crop of her sugar pumpkins.

Buckytom, I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor! Do you have one of those bag sealing things? Lucy can stew down the pumpkin and freeze a bunch so that you can remember your neighbor for a couple of years at feasts. (I know you're not supposed to leave stuff that long, but pumpkin in a sealed thing seems to last forever.)

The apple pie sounds amazing. So far, the menus sounds fantastic. yum!

Finely minced turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pie

Anything else soft and squishy I can think of that would go well with Thanksgiving Dinner.:neutral:

But you can bet I TRY to eat some olives and pickles.

I am only responsible for an Appy this year.YAH!

I am thinking about pumpkin butter on top cream cheese served with wheat thins but it is probably a little too much like pumpkin pie.

Maybe a hot crab dip.I have not had one with this family yet.

i figure my Mom & new-Dad'll be cooking; turkey, potoato, that kinda food; my new-Dad says 'make Le Corden Bleu food!' so i'll be making a few foods, hmmmm~

Last edited:
We're meeting at Dad's this year. He's ordered a smoked turkey. My middle sister will go over and help him get it cooked. The other 3 women will bring the sides and dessert. I forget what the others are bringing but I'm responsible for 1 pumpkin pie and the stuffing.

Ok I am making my menu/recipe/shopping list and this is the tentive menu.
But it can and probably will change between now and turkey day as people ummmmmmmmmmm add their opinions!!:LOL:

img_935037_0_e85d17ea4d8f41bd470f07788f68af32.jpg

Buckytom, I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor! Do you have one of those bag sealing things? Lucy can stew down the pumpkin and freeze a bunch so that you can remember your neighbor for a couple of years at feasts. (I know you're not supposed to leave stuff that long, but pumpkin in a sealed thing seems to last forever.)

The apple pie sounds amazing. So far, the menus sounds fantastic. yum!

thanks, alix. that's a great idea. i was just looking into those vacu-seal things.

wow, mofet. are you making all of that by yourself?

ok, i just found out that we are making the turkey, the stuffing/dressing, gravy, and an apple and a pumpkin pie. i decided to get a fresh turkey this year from here: Home
i wonder if it will be any better than an injected, frozen one from the supermarket?

sis #1 and my mom are making savory green beans, broccoli rabe, mashed turnips, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, shrimp cocktail, and a pickles and olives platter.

sis #2 hopefully will just show up with her kids. that'd be good enough.

don't know where my brother is going, but it seems since his inlaws passed away, his wife isn't into a family thing anymore. :( not that she was before, either. lovely, ice-in-their-veins pennsylvania germans, they are. :ermm: (sorry about the mini-rant)

sis's #3 and 4 are going to thier in-laws with their clans, i think.

now i have to figure out how to transport a blazing hot, 20 lb turkey for an hour and a half car ride down the parkway, along with the pies and stuffing, all while the gravy gets defatted. :shock:

now i have to figure out how to transport a blazing hot, 20 lb turkey for an hour and a half car ride down the parkway, along with the pies and stuffing, all while the gravy gets defatted. :shock:

Covered turkey in pan, wrapped in a blanket you don't care about and sealed in an ice cooler. Pack more towels, etc around so it won't budge and will help insulate.

Yes, I've carted TD to another town, in a blizzard...uphill...both ways.:)

thanks princess fee.

i was just thinking of flipping it to rest breast side down on the rack, tenting with foil, then the towel wrap thing.

i think i'll also slightly undercook it so the carry over will stop around 150-160, then finish it in a very hot oven at mom and dad's.

thanks princess fee.

i was just thinking of flipping it to rest breast side down on the rack, tenting with foil, then the towel wrap thing.

i think i'll also slightly undercook it so the carry over will stop around 150-160, then finish it in a very hot oven at mom and dad's.

You are welcome BuckyTom! I've also carted soups in the same way, I think I use my ice coolers as warmers more than I've ever used them to keep things cool.

And they are much easier to clean than upholstery.

lol, tell me about it.

i cart 6 full sized trays of food into nyc every year for our christmas party. the trays of lasagnas, pasta primavera, and pulled pork travel well, but i have nice red stains on the back seat of my truck from the trays of sunday gravy sloshing about as i took the turns on the ramps off the george washington bridge at speed.

i won't even mention the time i forgot to secure a large bottle of kimchee in the back seat on the way home from a korean market, and when it slid, i heard the teeniest crack. kimchee juice for everyone!!! :(

lol, tell me about it.

i cart 6 full sized trays of food into nyc every year for our christmas party. the trays of lasagnas, pasta primavera, and pulled pork travel well, but i have nice red stains on the back seat of my truck from the trays of sunday gravy sloshing about as i took the turns on the ramps off the george washington bridge at speed.

i won't even mention the time i forgot to secure a large bottle of kimchee in the back seat on the way home from a korean market, and when it slid, i heard the teeniest crack. kimchee juice for everyone!!! :(

:LOL:Smells like the lunchwagon just pulled up!!! I had a brand new Ranger I christened within two weeks with turkey juice and grease. We,ve had the Subaru for a couple ot months now...waiting to see what we spill first. I know you are on your way to sleep now, BuckyTom, but have a good sleep anyway!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom