"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

The 100 Buck Grilled Cheese Sandwich....

$100 Gold-Plated Grilled Cheese Offered at Ritz-Carlton's Deca Restaurant - Streeterville - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Quote:
The Zillion Dollar Grilled Cheese sandwich, available at the restaurant at 160 E. Pearson St, is made with artisanal sourdough bread coated with Laudemio Marchesi de’ Frescobaldi extra-virgin olive oil, which retails for more than $30 a bottle.

Layered inside the sandwich is thinly-sliced black Iberco ham from free-roaming, acorn-fed pigs raised in the South of Spain. The meat is salted and air-dried for six weeks, then cured for a minimum of 12 months — usually closer to 18 months, said Eric Ciechna, a host at the restaurant.

"Up until a few years ago, you could not get Iberco ham in the United States," Ciechna said. "It's so insanely expensive. We get it in very small quantities."

Most important is the cheese: a 40-year-old aged Wisconsin cheddar infused with 24-carat gold flakes.

Other ingredients include heirloom tomatoes from the Ellis Family Farm in Benton Harbor, Mich., Hudson Valley Foie Gras, which costs about $60 per pound, and a sunny-side-up duck egg.

Dressing the epic sandwich is a drizzle each of a 100-year-old aged balsamic vinegar and Oregon Perigord white truffle aioli.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Head Chef

Well, that sandwich just points out that there are people that have too much money. (Yeah, I'm envious)

I wish they would give that $100 bucks to me----- and I'd make my humdinger grilled cheese sandwich for them.

Tags
cheese, grill, sandwich