"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
Agreed Bucky the problem is not fajitas the problem is presevative laden fajitas....
The site said this about the fajitas: "Here are a few offenders to choke on: fried chicken, Buffalo sauce, blue cheese, smoked bacon, ranch dressing, and sour cream. All make this the sodium equivalent of single-handedly downing three and a half baskets of Chili's bottomless tostada chips. Add rice and beans and you've just ordered 3 days' worth of sodium and an entire day of calories. If you're salt-sensitive, avoid fajitas--any kind of fajitas--at all costs."

Just curious - why would restaurants need to use preservatives in their food? It would seem to me that they get deliveries often enough that preservatives would not be necessary.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
ChefJune, I get what you're saying, but in Metro NY, you likely have thousands of choices, whereas some people in remote areas don't. Sometimes those chains are all there is to choose from, unless you are lucky and have a family run outfit in your town. Most food service products contain highly processed ingredients, period. Labor prevents most from doing EVERYTHING the old fashioned way, no matter how hard they try. You can only work so many hours before something's gotta give, and that's where it starts.

Chains are not my first pick either, but even in a small city like Green Bay, there are more of those than indies, believe it or not. And then even a couple of our local outfits are marketing themselves like chains or sports bars, which is a whole 'nother rant. I do think food servie

Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
I'm reminded of a line from Futurama. "That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted...and I once ate a big, heaping bowl of salt!"
Hahahaaa!!! I love Futurama!

I'm constantly surprised by how many people still live off processed foods. The UK has soooo many ready-meals and they are all just loaded with sodium. One of the main reasons I don't enjoy eating out more often is because I can't see what went into my dinner!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
ChefJune, I get what you're saying, but in Metro NY, you likely have thousands of choices, whereas some people in remote areas don't. Sometimes those chains are all there is to choose from, unless you are lucky and have a family run outfit in your town. Most food service products contain highly processed ingredients, period. Labor prevents most from doing EVERYTHING the old fashioned way, no matter how hard they try. You can only work so many hours before something's gotta give, and that's where it starts.

Chains are not my first pick either, but even in a small city like Green Bay, there are more of those than indies, believe it or not. And then even a couple of our local outfits are marketing themselves like chains or sports bars, which is a whole 'nother rant. I do think food servie
What I'm saying, Andrea, is that there used to be small mom and pop restaurants everywhere, before the chains came in and out advertised them and made folks believe they were DA BOMB, when in fact, they were the bomb, but not in a good way!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just curious - why would restaurants need to use preservatives in their food? It would seem to me that they get deliveries often enough that preservatives would not be necessary.

Many of those chain restaurants use processed food.

I think that's one of the points June makes.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
You know, there IS an alternative if Americans will take it.. There are (or perhaps in some areas "used to be" is a better term) independent restaurants -- not all of which are high end -- where one can still get a fantastic meal at reasonable (considering the high cost of everything) prices.

Why is it so many folks are so enamored with the Dominos',Olive Gardens', TGI Fridays', and Red Lobsters of the world? I've never gotten that.
independent restaurants in general I believe are a better bet from the health standpoint (with the exception of all the pizza/wings/steaks places around here that use pretty much processed everything) I certainly feel better about eating in them.

People like the big chains because they are easy and predictable. I will admit on occassion I find them useful... when you have a big group of people or have been driving all day and just need to pull off the road to grab a bite and are not really up for exploring. They definitley fill a void. The occasional meal of preservative laced chickenbreast wont kill you it is making them a regular part of life.... I mean I like a big mac or a sack of white castle on occassion too but not everyday.

There are so many processed pre-made foods in the supermarket as well. I have no problem with convinience foods being used in a pinch but I think too many people take them for granted without thinking.

Growing up we ate almost nothing packaged (except baked goods mom sucked at that) never health food either nothing skim or light just food. Plenty of meats and cheeses etc. If we ate out it was usually at a local bar diner or italian joint and yeah on occassion we had mc donalds becase somewhere inbetween working full time and going to grad scool and holding down 2nd jobs sometimes the parents just couldn't get dinner on the table but that was rare. I see so many people feeding thier familes on fast food it is sad.

I was suprised to see Macaroni Grill top the list I wouldn't have guessed them the worst. I have a particular dislike of Chillis and Crapplebees for this type of restaurants and a fondness for Dennys and I-HOP
Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Many of those chain restaurants use processed food.

I think that's one of the points June makes.
I know, but there are lots of ways to process food, and not all of them are bad - pasteurizing milk, for instance, or freezing vegetables. So I'm wondering why restaurants would need to use preservatives in their food. I don't think "processed" automatically means "preservatives added."
Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I know, but there are lots of ways to process food, and not all of them are bad - pasteurizing milk, for instance, or freezing vegetables. So I'm wondering why restaurants would need to use preservatives in their food. I don't think "processed" automatically means "preservatives added."
Restaurants buy a lot of pre-made, pre-processed food that already has preservatives and stabilizers added. They don't always make their dishes from fresh ingredients.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Restaurants buy a lot of pre-made, pre-processed food that already has preservatives and stabilizers added. They don't always make their dishes from fresh ingredients.
Sysco Corporation

Also those big chains pre make thier foods they do not employ Chefs much of the food is pre-cooked bagged up and shipped unbagged heated

Howstuffworks "Mass-produced Food"
Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
All restaurants?

Quote:
Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for here.

Quote:
Also those big chains pre make thier foods they do not employ Chefs much of the food is pre-cooked bagged up and shipped unbagged heated

Howstuffworks "Mass-produced Food"
It seems to me you are implying that all restaurants use preservatives, which is specifically what I was asking about. If you're talking about fast-food restaurants, then you need to say that.