The 5 Second Rule:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
If you drop a piece of candy, pick it up...then bauble it, end up dropping it, pick it up and drop it again, does the 5 second rule still apply? :whistling

TGIF everyone!

Last edited:
I think the 5 second rule re-applies itself. What I mean is this...

You drop the candy and pick it up after 3 seconds. If you then drop it again within another 5 seconds then the clock has not stopped ticking. You now have 2 seconds left to pick it up

BUT

If you drop it and pick it up after 3 seconds and are able to hold onto it for another 5 seconds then if you now drop it you have a fresh 5 seconds to work with :LOL:

Half Baked said:
If you drop a piece of candy, pick it up...then bauble it, end up dropping it, pick it up and drop it again, does the 5 second rule still apply? :whistling

TGIF everyone!

I believe you get 5 seconds PER drop!! :ROFLMAO:

John

GB, make a note: Ron John is a real daredevil! He should go on Fear Factor. :LOL:

While I'm the first one to admit that, yes, I do invoke the 5 second rule all the time :D I recently watched an episode of the show "Myth Busters" where they proved that dropped food can become contaminated the moment it hits the ground (I know - what spoil sports :LOL:).

shhhhhh,
don't let DH hear that..I have him convinced that that steak I dropped was picked up in two seconds and that the hot grill would kill any little beasties crawling around on it:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

If you pick it up and then blow on it, you've sterilized it. It's then perfectly fine to eat.

Lee

I love that show...

It's the 20 second rule around my house... shhhhh it's a secret.

well, i say that's what rinsing is for primarily. dropped candy, etc. if they don't see you drop it....... :doh: ('till you glance around), then, :w00t: !!!!!

Last edited:
If the candy was dropped on the floor and nobody's around, does the rule apply?:rolleyes:

the conditions of the dropped candy and the acuity of your vision govern the amount of prejudice of the rule. the time limit is only for show.

if you can wash it off, there are no rules, no time limit. (so long as you know when the candy was dropped, not for for candy you find sitting around :sick: )

if you can't rinse it, any candy dropped that appears to have not picked anything else up is ok. the 5 second rule applies just for superstition and posterity here.

candy by it's nature is sticky, so it probably will find a cat hair, ball of lint, or chunk of something dark to stick to it, even if you catch it on the bounce.
therefore, if you can't get it clean, either take the loss, or be demure whilst spitting out the chunks.

Dude (s), lady (ies), people (lol).

Let me provide you with a quote from my grandfather. He owns a farm, has had livestock, worked in slaughterhouses, and other food manufacturing plants.

"If most people saw how their food was made, they would never eat again."

Who knows how much food you have bought and eaten that has fallen on a floor. I'm sure its enough to fill your belly many times over.

If all you had to worry about with food safety was to drop each piece on a floor and rinse it off, food safety would be a cakewalk let me tell you.

Not long ago I somehow flipped up a sheet pan of roasted potatoes and carrots as I was taking it out of oven - the whole thing went up-side-down on the floor - I lifted the pan - my daughter said, 'oh man - that looks sooo good...' - I said, 'what happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen - I think Julia Child said that...' - then I plucked one carrot up to taste... and got a cat hair in my mouth.

5 second rule is ****. If you drop a piece of food on the ground throw it away. We are not animals to eat food off of the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom