"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Got to share with all of you this loving story. Finally a good one I read in the newspaper.

A young man,26 and his dog were up in the mountains of Colorado. After six weeks they discovered the guy had committed suicide and the dog a lab, stayed with him the whole time. He was dehydrated and skinny, and he must have survived on mice, rabbits, and other wild things. The dog never left his owner's side. If this isn't some kind of supernatural loyalty I don't know what is.

dogs always seem to amaze me at the intelligence and gifts they have, that people are not even aware of. My hope is that people will not abuse them and regard them as valuable in the crazy society we have to live in today.

Please protect and love your pets. They are worth it.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Master Chef
I read that story and I too am amazed at the loyalty these creatures have. Dogs will never cease to amaze me and I feel blessed to have the two companions that I have.

And I agree ITK... they are worth it!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook
My Cooper almost always never leave me in peace either...sometimes he can be too much. Anyway, thanks for the story. It really touches my heart especially that last night's training brought me to tears and was almost a disaster when my little one decided he wanted to play at class instead of do his tasks. So no more honey breakfast cereals for him either on class weeks.
Tucker's Mum aka Cooper's Mom

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Head Chef
What I can't understand is how anyone could commit suicide with their loyal animal at their side - I'd never leave Gidgett in the lurch like that!
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Sous Chef
A heartwarming story to be sure. There is no doubt in my mind that dogs are not the "dumb" animals that many people make them out to be, and I personally find it more than a little ironic that "D-O-G" spelled backwards is "God"

Their unconditional love and loyalty could serve as a life lesson for each and every one of us.

Speaking as someone who is reeling with grief over the unexpected loss of a beloved companion, treat them with same love, respect and honor that they show you. Your time together is far too short.
smoke king is offline   Reply With Quote