The best toys are free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
It is amazing how much money we can spend on toys for our young kids, and in reality they can make a toy out of anything.

We are in the process of doing a lot of paining in our house so we have color samples all over the place. Rachel is in heaven with all of these new "toys" and it is helping her learn her colors taboot.

Careful, GB. You could be creating a big problem for yourself.

Some day you or a grandparent will point to an object and ask little Rachel, "What color is this?". Instead of asnwering GREEN. You're going to hear something like 'sherwood forest', or similar.

The Future Interior Decorators of America have a new member.

Now you could use that old Tom Sawyer trick and get her to help painting the wall too... :-p

I'll never forget, when we moved our 3 year old grandson in with us, we bought him lots of new toys because he had lost everything he had. We also bought an upright deep freeze about the same time, and he had more fun playing with the box the freezer came in than all the toys combined. He defended that "fort" with a stick and a water pistol all summer.

GB, here's a fun craft to do with little Rachel: cut each sample into it's own square (so there's no white between squares) , then cut each square diagonally, so you have many trianglular colors.
Using either elmer's glue or a kid-friendly glue stick, let her stick her triangles all over a piece of paper. After she's done, you'll have a pretty mosaic for the fridge's "art gallery". I actually framed one that my younger one did and it was really pretty!

My youngest son is 7 and still to this day he loves playing with boxes. He dragged a big one downstairs the other day and proceeded to draw all over it and make it into a car.

Oooh, one of my favorite toys ever was when my parents bought a new mattress and we rolled down the hill in that box all summer. :LOL:

Nowadays it seems to be a big deal to get the delivery men to take the 'garbage' with them. :(

I don't have any children but a lot of my friends do. They collect boxes and the kids have a great time painting them and also using them for things to sit on.

I have been in many Toy Stores and the prices are very high. I noticed that Costo has children's toys and they are very reasonable.

Along the lines of GB, when I was a kid we lived near a post office and I would love collecting all the fabric samples I found in these huge books :LOL: Boxes were my daughters favorite "toy" along with pot, pans, and spoons to bang on them :mad::ROFLMAO:

GB, my youngest daughter, at 3, "won" the booby prize at a family night at our 5 year old's school - it was an exceptionally ugly 2qt pot from the '70s. Porcelain over tin or something like that. Beige with brown speckles and orange mushrooms. She LOVED that pot. When we arrived home from the outing, she insisted on cooking in it. She wanted to cook dinner. I gave her a carrot and a potato and some beans, helped her a little with the peeling and cutting, and we cooked it together and ate the results, exclaiming all the while on the deliciousness of her dinner. Round about the same time, she also discovered my (size 8) boot-style roller skates, and put her 3 year old feet in them and proceeded to skate all over the show. We had given her older sisters skates for Christmas, but not Jess - we thought she was too small. At that time, she wore (every day) the green jersey my aunt had sent to her (really super ugly mint green with a boat neck)....the draw? That jersey came in the mail wrapped in brown paper with Jessica's name on it - it was special...she was so thrilled to have received her very own mail. She wore that jersey over Roseanne's hand-me-down blue Little Bow-Peep style flower-girl dress. Sometimes she'd pair the outfit with some red Wellington boots (or the skates). She was the happiest little thing with her pink cheeks and fluffy baby hair (always with a bird's nest of tangles at the back). Always thinking up something new to do....we lived in South Africa back then, and toys like the children enjoy here were so prohibitively expensive that our girls never had as many as what I see little ones have here... but they were really happy little things anyway.

Little girls still love to play dress-up. A few years ago, I gave my grandaughter a trunk full of all sorts of dress-up things, and she was thrilled.

One of my Grandmother's favorite stories was about Christmas, 1933. My father was 3 years old, and my grandparents had been in business for themselves for 8 years. They felt that they were doing well and that my father was of an age that he would appreciate some toy type gifts. At any rate, they spent more than they could afford on Baby Bob, including a train around the tree. He had a grand time watching the train and opening the presents, but when they next looked around, he was nowhere to be seen. They did, however, hear noises from the kitchen, and found him having a grand time pulling the pots fron the kitchen cabinets and banging them around! He ruined it for us as far as Christmas presents from the Grandparents went.:glare:

When I was a little girl I never had a doll house for my generic barbie dolls. My brother fixed that though. He made me the most awesome doll houses out of cardboard boxes. They's have windows, doors and he'd rig up lighting even. The dolls swimming pool was my moms dutch oven..........:LOL:

SizzlininIN - I used to make my own doll houses out of shoe boxes, too- it was great fun. Also used to raid my mom's sewing basket and made headbands out of bias binding and rick-rack, made wallets as gifts for my dad out of construction paper, and loved drawing on the cardboard that came in new shirts and in new stockings/pantyhose.

When my oldest was about 18 months old, we got a new tv. He absolutely lived in that box for the longest time. I have a pix of him taking a nap in it.

The younger boy took over my laundry basket at about the same age.

They also liked measuring cups, oatmeal boxes, and Grandpa's tractor.

That's so true, GB! My parents came over the other day and brought Sofie a toy and a box of tights. She wasn't interested in the toy but clutched that package of tights all evening. She held the box all through dinner and walked all over the house with it. It could have been empty--she just liked the box.

What a fun way for Rachel to see so many different colors!

geebs, a warning:

don't OD on the Barbies when Rachel gets a little older. All they do is strip all the clothes off them and you tear up your feet stepping on those teeny little high heels. Although, the little hairbrushes that come with most of the setups are very good for brushing one's mustache, as HH has found (you need to grow yours back)/

Back
Top Bottom