"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #51
Head Chef

As far as southern California goes and these fires, it seems like all the classic signs of a weather effect called La Nina.

(Wintertime wildfires in the Southwest US is not the norm).

The other main weather effect other than La Nina is called... El Nino. So. California experiences a lot more rainfall and shoreline flooding during an "El Nino" winter season.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
All the smoke is really getting to me. I have serious lung and heart problems and it's hard to breathe so it's a worry. I've had a headache for days and we've been staying inside and going stir crazy, not to mention both of us are cranky with each other. Somebody told us to run the air conditioning fan for the house, as it's not warm enough to run the actual AC. It's so weird to have the fierce Santa Anna winds without heat! I hesitate to say any of this, as complaining with so much destruction all around us just boggles the mind.. We are so lucky so far.
Kay ....take care as best you can - I'd suggest going for a drive to get away from it all, but there's nowhere to go down there to get away from it! My daughter is in Valencia, not too far south from you, and she says it looks like a war zone in all directions.

Thinking of you and all who are affected by these late season fire storms. It's just horrific.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #53
Sous Chef

From my little airport

The Santa Paula Airport is a half mile from our home. This is the airport I fly from. it has been closed since the fire started to allow for fire fighting helicopters to use.
They were among a group of 24 heavy-lift helicopters that has transformed Santa Paula Airport, this small, quirky, airstrip known for vintage and aerobatic airplanes, into a bustling base for firefighting helicopters.
The airport is close to the freeway, so it was easy for tanker trucks carrying water, fire retardant and fuel to get to the airport.
We see and hear the helicopters going by all day from our porch. They are a godsend for the people in the path of the fire.
The fire has burned northwestward into Santa Barbara County, and is about 50 % contained. It has burned over 250,000 acres so far and is the second largest fire in California history.
Attached is a photo of my little airport helping battle the fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1219_santa_paula_california_thomas_fire01_16x9.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	28707  
Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #54
Master Chef

Wow, Steve. That must be a mind boggling thing to see your small, local, safe little airport that you fly in and out of so often, now closed to all but emergency first responders.

Tags
california