The California Fires....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
.....there are so many fires burning throughout the state, it's just heartbreaking. Here's just one neighborhood up in beautiful Santa Rosa that is completely gone, and it's just one of many....:(

Attachments

• Santa Rosa 1.jpg
    Santa Rosa 1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Santa Rosa 2.jpg
    Santa Rosa 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
One of the members of another forum I am on had to evacuate ahead of the flames and just found out today her entire house is gone. What's worse, she has three Maine Coon cats that are the love of her life and she was only able to find two of them before she had to leave. It's now assumed she lost the third cat.

Someone on another forum I'm on was woken up by her dogs. She and her husband barely had time to get out. By the time they were driving away, her house was on fire.

It's just awful what's going on there.

Here's a link to some of the news coverage:

SFGATE: San Francisco Bay Area - News, Bay Area news, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds - SFGate

My sister is reassuring me that she isn't in danger. She's 15 miles away from the fires in Anaheim and Santa Ana. :ohmy:

Cheryl, isn't your son or SIL a firefighter? Wishes for his safety if he is (well regardless, but you know what I mean)!

RR....so sorry to hear of your friends' huge loss in these fires! I just can't imagine...

taxy....glad to hear your sister and her property are OK!

GG...that's the last I heard, too. The firefighters are working so hard to protect lives and property that they haven't begun to determine the cause of the fires yet.

Karen...thank you for your kind words. Yes, my SIL is an L.A. county firefighter, but so far they haven't sent him or his immediate co-workers out. They're in the Santa Clarita Valley and it's on high alert for fires right now too, so they need to keep some of the manpower there for brush fires that could, (and probably will, according to stats), start anytime.

Sheesh....this is all just heartbreaking. And like others have said, it's so much more than "just" the loss of life and property. The ripple effect will be huge.

Last edited:
Cheryl, Pirate and I sat here staring at the pictures. All I can say is OMG!!!

Folks used to joke that California does not have seasons. And I would reply with "Sure they do. They have the rainy season, landslide season, drought season, and then the fire season. I haven't made that comment in a couple of years. And I doubt I ever will again. My heart goes out to all Californians. Along with my prayers.

Makes me looking forward to a blizzard here in the Northeast.

Well I heard 90% of the wine crop for the year was already harvested, but 4 wineries suffered major damage though.

Yeah, most of the grapes were picked and that was about it. When the wineries went up in flames, so did all those grapes. And what vines and grapes didn't burn may be a loss anyway. Apparently grapes will pick up the smoke scent of a fire and transfer that into the wine.

The entire town of Calistoga has now been told to evacuate. One fire is moving towards Fairfield and if it gets that far, it will probably jump I-80. Considering how much traffic goes between the Bay Area and Sacramento, that could be disastrous.

If the fire goes south to Vallejo, it could easily send embers across the water to Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, and Concord. That would make what happened in Santa Rosa look like a small campfire.

The winds were supposed to ramp up tonight again. Those guys just aren't getting a break.

After Harvey, Irma, Maria, and now this, blizzards and ice storms don't seem so bad.
Amen, tenspeed.
Watching this on the news. Heartbreaking.
I could not have said it any better myself.

Prayers going up for everyone in the area that are in harm's way, and also for everyone else being impacted by this disaster.

I think Pirate said it best when Harvey hit Houston.

"God is awfully mad at us."

Ever since mankind came on this planet we have done everything we could to destroy the wonderful home God gave us. Now He is showing us just how much he can destroy and how fast.

We’ll be on our honeymoon in a few weeks and our first stop is supposed to be Napa and The French Laundry.... hopefully that will still be possible

But no matter what, out hearts are breaking for those affected by the fire, as well as everyone down south with the hurricanes :(

Don't know if anyone else saw this, but last night on our local late news they were showing video sent down from the Space Station of all these lightening strikes on Sunday, just about where all the fires started all over California.
The theory is that this is what may have got it all started.
Both my Mother and Sister live in California, fortunately for now anyways they are in no danger, but that could change at any time.
Cheryl (as well as Kayelle and Souschef-where every you guys are now), stay alert and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom