"The Cats Of Stony River" by Joyce G. Reilly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I asked Latté, and she looked at me with a face that said, "Well, what do you think?" I think she's shining me on.

If she talks, you will never have to work again in your life. But the home security bills will be terrible, yes?

Joyce's Pook talks. She can say, "Mom" and "No." It sounds very funny but one can hear this a small bit! Ha! It is of the gibbering which cats do, yes?

Let us know when Latte speaks. I will be your best friend, yes? HAA!

Love,
~Cat

"I guess you don't," she agreed. "Maybe you should make time for yourself."

He thought about that. "Well, since Zeus is helping, I might be able to do that. I do miss curling up with you and a good book."

She smiled. "I miss that too, but I know you're teaching Belle. Maybe take a look around today while we're there and see if something jumps out at you."

"Okay, thank you, Suzanna."

Suzanna smiled at him. "You're welcome. Well! It's almost eight o'clock. I better get my shower so we can go book-hunting."

Down the street, Carrie woke up to find Bart and Belle at the big windowseat, admiring the snow.

"Look, Carrie! Look at all the snow!" cried Belle, her tail lashing with excitement. "It's so pretty."

She got up and sat between them at the window, looking out toward the B&B.

"Hey, look at the cottage! Looks like Suzanna's at the window," said Bart.

"Good gosh, you can see that? I can't, I just barely see the window," Carrie replied.

"I can see her too!" exclaimed Belle.

"We have sharper eyesight," said Bart.

"I believe that," Carrie said.

"Oh, I guess Pook and Saav won't be here today," Belle said, disappointed.

"Probably not, unless Joyce can get behind another snowplow," Carrie nodded. "But Meows will be here, I'm sure."

"Oh, and I guess Zeus won't be able to come, either," pouted Belle. "Rats! I hate it when my friends have to stay home." She raspberried the snow, and Bart sighed.

Carrie laughed. "They'll be here tomorrow, Belle."

The phone rang, and Carrie picked it up, spoke briefly, and hung up.

"Who was that?" asked Belle.

"Suzanna. She's taking Meows to The Daily Grind, and wanted us to join them. Want to?"

"Ooooo! Yeah!" Belle said, cheering right up. Belle liked coffee, too...with lots of cream in it.

"Oh, good," nodded Bart. "That sounds like fun."

Carrie looked at the clock. "Well, the sooner I get ready, the sooner we can get out of here."

The two women and three cats met across the street from Carrie's shop. Carrie and Suzanna had coffee and gave Belle coffee with cream, and the other two milk.

Meows found the book for Belle, then selected a copy of historical works for himself.

Bart picked out the latest offering from Tom Clancy, and the cats crawled under the table to read, where no one would see them.

Carrie looked across the street at her new front door. "I love how the new door looks. Paul is pretty neat."

"Yeah, he is. He comes by now and then to visit Sunshine," said Suzanna. "I think that's unusual for a man."

"He's no ordinary guy," Carrie agreed. Her cell phone rang, and she fished it out of her purse and answered it.

It was Detective Freeman. "Can you come by the station? Your burglar is here to turn himself in."

"Oh -- okay, sure, give me just a few minutes. I'm at the bookstore, not in the shop," Carrie replied, looking very surprised.

"Take your time," he said. "We're still taking his statement."

She hung up. "My burglar is turning himself in. That was the detective, and he wants me to come by the station."

"Wow! You gotta tell me what happens when you get done!" exclaimed Suzanna.

"You better believe I will," Carrie smiled, getting up. She bundled Bart and Belle back in the big picnic basket as Meows jumped on Suzanna's shoulder. They paid for their books, and returned to the shop, where Carrie put their books out for them on the big windowseat. They jumped up and pawed them open, purring.

"That'll keep em happy for a while," remarked Suzanna, walking down the stairs with Carrie.

"Yeah, for today, maybe. They read fast," said Carrie.

"That they do. Wonder what made the kid turn himself in?"

Carrie paused at the alley door. "I'm getting ready to find out."

Suzanna gave her friend a good-luck pat on the shoulder, and watched her go across the alley to the police station. Then she closed the door and locked it.

Carrie walked into the interview room, and saw a very thin, ragged boy with the detective, hanging his head. She looked around for his parents. No one looked like a parent there. Where were the parents?

"Hello, Mrs. Sullivan. Please sit down. This is Sean McMurray. He has something to tell you," said the detective.

The child had been crying, and his face, throat and hands were covered with deep scratches. She felt so bad for him. He was dirty, unkempt, and pale.

This poor child, she thought. What happened here?

"I - I'm sorry I broke your door. I wasn't going to steal anything. I was just looking for a warm place to sleep," he said, and began to cry again.

"A place to sleep? Did you run away from home, honey?" asked Carrie.

The boy didn’t answer, and looked away.

Detective Freeman nodded. "His parents are in prison for drug trafficking, and the grandmother took him in. Unfortunately, she was abusive, and Children's Services pulled him out of there and put him in what we thought was a safe foster home. Right now, I'm afraid that foster home is going to be investigated and probably shut down, because he was beaten and locked in a closet with no dinner last night. He ran away when they let him out of the closet to go to bed."

"Is that true?" Carrie asked the boy gently.

He swallowed a sob and nodded.

She touched his hand. "I'm sorry. That's no way for a little boy to live. How old are you?"

"Ten," he said.

Carrie shared a painful look with the detective.

"I explained to him that you would have to decide to press charges or not," said the cop.

"Oh no, no. Don't charge this little guy with anything. Just get him to a warm, safe place, where he can be happy and grow up to be a good man," she replied.

"But he did damage your store. Are you sure?"

She waved him off. "The door has been replaced, and I never did like the old door anyway. He wasn't there to do harm, he was cold. Has he had any breakfast?"

"Uh...not yet," the detective said.

Carrie's eyes blazed. "And why not? This child is hungry!"

"I -- uh, was going to get him something to eat, but he said he wanted to do this first," explained Freeman. By that look in her eyes, no wonder

she's got evil cats, he thought. She probably trained the vicious beasts herself.

She looked at the little boy, then back at the detective. "Can I take him to the pancake place? It's just two doors down, we can walk."

For the first time, the boy looked up at her with shining brown eyes keen with interest and bright with intelligence. Carrie smiled at him, and she got a little shy smile back.

"Sure, if he wants to. What do you think, Sean? Would you like to go eat breakfast with Mrs. Sullivan?"

He nodded, and smiled again.

"Good," said Carrie, getting up and holding her hand out to the boy. He slid off his chair and slipped his hand into hers. "I bet you like blueberry syrup, don't you?"

"It's my favorite," he said, picking up his coat.

"Mine too. Thanks, Detective, I'll have him back in a little while."

"No problem, take your time. We're trying to get in touch with a new foster parent for him anyway. You have fun," said the cop with a smile.

"We will," replied Carrie, helping Sean get his coat on. It was at least three sizes too big, and quite worn.

They walked outside, and he held Carrie's hand tightly. "You're a nice lady, Mrs. Sullivan."

"Aw, you're a sweet child," said Carrie, giving his little hand a gentle squeeze.

"Can I come live with you?" he asked.

"Oh, I wish you could! But I'm not a registered or trained foster parent, so they won't let me take you, or I certainly would. But -- aren't you afraid of my cats?"

"No. They were protecting you. Besides, they let me go when I tried to get up and run back out."

"They're really not mean when they get to know you," she said. "Why don't you come visit me at the shop, if your new family says it's okay, and get to know them?"

"Can I?"

"Sure. Anytime. I'm open all day," she told him, opening the door to the Pancake Palace.

"I will. I'm really sorry I broke your door," he said sadly.

"Don't think about that. Just think good things right now. We both made a new friend today, don't you think?"

"Yeah," he said, smiling shyly.

During breakfast, she found out he loved animals, and he especially liked turtles. Sean was quite an expert on turtles, and she was impressed as he told her about the different kinds of turtles and what made them different. He liked baseball, math, and science, and seemed to be a good student...when his old foster parents let him go to school. He had spent six lonely, lousy months in that pit of a home. Carrie hated hearing what had happened to him, and prayed he would have a good, safe home from now on. He had nice table manners, she noticed, as he dug into his pancakes (with blueberry syrup), bacon, and orange juice.

It was over too soon for Carrie. She would have to return him to the detective, but she really didn't want to. As they made their way back up the street after their breakfast, she gave him one of her business cards, and drew him aside.

"If anything bad happens to you, ever again, you call me as soon as you can and wherever you are, I will come and get you to the police so you can report it. See, here's my cell phone number, shop number, and home number. You're good at math -- think you can memorize those numbers?" she said gently.

He looked at the card closely, and nodded. "Really? If I get hit again, you'll come get me?"

"Yes. Or anything bad happens. Get to a phone as soon as you can and call me, okay?" She fished out a pen, and wrote 'love, Carrie' on the back, and gave it back to him.

"I will," he said, carefully putting the card in his jacket pocket. She patted his thin little shoulder, and they headed for the police station.

When she walked in, a tall, lovely woman in her 50s was waiting. Carrie knew her well.

"Sandy! How are you? I haven't seen you in ages!"

"Hi, Carrie! I'm doing great. You?" she smiled.

"Oh, just fine. Where have you been hiding lately?" asked Carrie.

"Well, I became a foster parent last year, and was fostering a little girl until about a month ago, when she was adopted. So, here I am, and this is Sean?"

"Yes. We just came back from breakfast. Sean, this is Sandy Larsen. Sandy, Sean McMurray."

The older woman reached down and shook his hand. "So nice to meet you, Sean. Did you have a good breakfast?"

"Yes! I had pancakes and bacon and juice. Do you like blueberry syrup?" he asked.

Carrie and Sandy laughed. "One of my favorites," said Sandy. "Have you tried strawberry too?"

He shook his head. "Not yet. Maybe I'll try that next time."

Sandy smiled at him. "We'll try it tomorrow morning. Would you like that?"

"Yes!" he replied.

"I think you two are going to get along real well," said Carrie.

"I think so," agreed Sandy.

Sean smiled, and the detective came out. "Ah! There you are. I guess we're all done here, Sandy. The paperwork's done and filed. I've got two officers and a Children's Service person going to get his clothes and belongings from the other foster home, and they'll be dropping those off to you sometime today."

"Great! Well, Sean, you ready? I don't live far from here," Sandy said.

"May I use the restroom first?" he asked.

Freeman showed him to the men's room, and Carrie turned to Sandy. "I'm so glad he's going to be with you. I am so relieved. Thank you, Sandy."

"Oh, he's precious. No problem, Carrie, he'll be okay. Just some love and support, and maybe a slew of homemade chocolate chip cookies, and he'll be bouncing back."

"That should do it. In case you find it, I gave him my card, and said if he ever needed me, he could call. Would you let him visit the shop?" asked Carrie.

"Oh, absolutely! You mean he's not afraid of the cats?"

"He really should be," said Freeman.

"No, he told me he wasn't, and I explained that if he would come visit and get to know them, they'd be fine," Carrie said.

“That’s one brave kid,” muttered the detective. Carrie rolled her eyes, and Sandy looked at the man as if he were crazy.

"We'll be regulars, then," promised Sandy. "That will give us an excuse to get out a few times a week and walk."

"Good," said Carrie. "I look forward to it."

Sean returned, and looked at Sandy expectantly.

"Ready?"

"Ready," he said. "Thank you for breakfast, Carrie. I'll try to come visit you."

“Yes, we’ll be over real soon,” nodded Sandy.

"You do that," she smiled. Sandy took his hand.

"C'mon, tiger, let's get you home," she said, leading him out. He turned and waved one more time, then he was out the door with Sandy, heading off to a new life and one with much more hope.

Carrie turned to the detective. "He is a dear child. Tell me -- where did he spend the night last night?"

Freeman sighed. "After the shop incident, he went to the Catholic church just up from you, and Father Aaron was there, working late. The church stays unlocked, and he found the child asleep in a pew when he went to leave. He woke him up and took him home, then brought him here this morning after Sean told him why he was there."

"That poor dear. But he has such nice manners! I can't believe his parents were into drugs."

"That's another sad story. His parents lost their jobs when that knitting mill outsourced. They couldn't find jobs after that, and they had a child to feed and a mortgage to pay. The father's cousin talked them into running coke and meth into South Carolina and Tennessee, and finally they got desperate and did it. They got caught on their second run. They weren't users, they kind of were nice people, stuck in a jamb, and made a bad decision," he said, a shadow crossing his face. "They got seven years and they have about five and a half to go. It's a very sad situation."

Carrie felt for them. "I guess if I had a child, I would do anything to provide for him. They must love him very much."

"Actually, they do. I have spoken with them, arranging communication between them and Sean. They're actually nice people...just bad circumstances. It's my hope that when they get out, they'll be able to get him back and start over."

"I hope so too. Where are they incarcerated?"

"The federal pen in Raleigh. They are allowed to receive visits from him, but he hasn't been given the chance to see them yet. Sandy will be taking him in a week or so."

"That's wonderful! Does he know this yet?" said Carrie.

"He will shortly. She's planning on sitting him down with cookies and milk later and telling him," Freeman said, smiling. "He'll be very happy to hear that bit of news. He loves them and misses them."

"Oh, I bet he does, the poor little thing. I hope it all works out. I can tell you, he'll be fine with Sandy. I've known her for a long time, and she's a good person. Thank you for telling me this, Detective. I do appreciate it."

"No problem, I know you care about him. Go see him, if you want, and keep up with him. He might like that. I'm going to visit him from time to time, too."

"That's wonderful! I'll keep up with him. He's a precious soul, and he needs people in his little corner," Carrie promised.

"He sure does. Thanks for your help," said Freeman, shaking Carrie's hand.

"And thank you. Have a great day."

Just saw a big orange and white tabby sitting on my deck. Went out to talk to him, he took off into the woods, probably feral, I had not seen him before.

Oh poor Sean...which of the cats are going to be the lawyer for his parents???

That would have been interesting, yes? But there s nothing to save them for they are incarcerated for a time.

Sean is off to a new life now, and he is safe. I love this part!

Just saw a big orange and white tabby sitting on my deck. Went out to talk to him, he took off into the woods, probably feral, I had not seen him before.

Oh my! This is odd, yes? Perhaps put a handful of food for him on the edge of the deck where he was to see if he comes back. Yes, he may be feral. This is very interesting!

He may come back!

With love,
~Cat

Chapter 11 – Vitriol

The woman looked out the barred cell window at the falling snow, itching in her ill-fitting orange jail outfit. From her window she could see a small bit of the B&B roof, the place she hated. She looked at it again now, her heart burning with loathing. In her mind, she could see the owner of it going about her business, free, not caring that she had sent someone like her to jail. It was unthinkable. What was it with these simple-minded working-class types, she wondered for the thousandth time. Did Suzanna Pearson really think she could get away with this? Didn’t she realize who she was dealing with?

It was drafty in the high-ceilinged cell, lit by a bare bulb set in the wall over the metal shelf that held her mattress. She looked at it in disdain, for she was used to plump, soft mattresses, thick down comforters and fine Irish linen sheets. Not this coarse cotton stuff with its thin, lumpy pillow and rough wool blanket. She had few things beside toiletries with her – they didn’t allow her much of anything here – and she refused the meager selection of tattered books and magazines the jail offered for reading material as she whiled away the hours.

Damn you, she thought, looking at the detested B&B roof. Damn you! Sitting over there under that roof in your overpriced motel, serving cheap coffee and making small talk about nothing. Enjoy it while you can, for nothing lasts forever. And some things have significantly shorter lifespans than others.

That visual nearly made her sick to her stomach. She envisioned that roof collapsing in flames, burning, consumed by a holocaust of fire and heat to the ground in ashes, and taking that woman and that creature with it. Something had to be done.

And someone was dragging his feet. It was time to set things straight. If he wouldn’t cooperate, she knew someone who would. Either he woke up and took action or, well, one way or another, she would have her moment. She would have her revenge; she would have her private glory. And no one would ever know what really happened…just a terrible tragedy…

She got up and crossed the tiny cell, and banged on her barred door.

"Guard! Let me out to use the phone!" she yelled.

The young man on duty in the tiny jail came up to her door. "Greta, this is the third time this morning," he said. "You're only allowed two a day."

"Come on. That's ridiculous! Just one more, is all. Will it kill you to let me use the phone?"

He sighed, and let her out. "Just this once. That's it."

"Thank you," she said without meaning it, and went to the pay phone on the wall close to her cell. Lifting the receiver, she eyed him. "Do you mind? This is private."

"Make it short," he muttered crossly, and went back to his desk.

She dialed the collect-call number.

"Hello?" said an irritated voice. "Greta, what is it now?"

"Have you researched the eminent domain laws yet?"

"Yes. I wouldn't try it. The property is not big enough to serve a purpose, and it's not owned by a bank. Leave the woman alone! Cut your losses, and get out of there and leave town."

"I paid you to do a job. I get what I pay for."

"You got the job done. Ms. Pearson is squeaky clean, an upstanding citizen with a completely clean background. No debts, no enemies, and eminent domain in this town is just not going to fly. Give it up, would you? You're obsessing again, Greta. The woman's ex-husband and his cronies can't even say a bad word about her," he replied angrily. "I've been over this four times now with you. Give it up!"

"I told you I get what I want. Don't make me have to make life very hard for you," she warned him.

"Do not threaten me. I have enough on you to send you off for the rest of your life. You better remember who you are talking to!"

"Phil, you need to remember who is financing you and your little operation. What would your partner say if suddenly, you ran out of funds?"

"Greta, I would try, but really, be reasonable. We can't touch her, and she has some very high-powered friends in the city. I don't think this is real smart."

"I don't give a damn what you think. I want her brought down, and brought down in a big way. You will see to it!" Greta yelled at him.

"It's impossible! It won't work! Look, I have helped you with schemes before, but this is out of our league. Trust me! I have checked her up one side and down the other, inside and out. It won't work."

"I don't invest in losers. Make it work. I want her head on a platter, and you will serve her up to me. Or you will understand very quickly what happens when you do not keep your word,” Greta told him, and hung up. "Guard!"

The young jailer took her back to her cell. Once inside, she stared out at the roof of the B&B.

"I will own you," she vowed softly. "You will go down, and you will go down painfully."

Just a couple blocks away in the B&B, Suzanna had no idea such vitriol was being leveled at her as she waited for Carrie to return from the police station. Because of the snow, Carrie had decided to close the shop for the day, but the B&B was full of guests admiring the snow. The fireplaces were all lit, attracting the guests to them, and some folks were in and out and

at the windows taking pictures. Suzanna was sliding a pan of cinnamon pastries into the oven and checking the coffee when Carrie bounced into the kitchen from the back door.

“Hey, hey!” smiled Carrie, shrugging off her coat and scarf.

"Do tell!" exclaimed Suzanna, filling two mugs full of coffee for them, and sitting at the little staff's kitchen table. Carrie sat down and warmed her hands around the mug Suzanna put in front of her.

"This poor kid! He broke in looking for a warm place to sleep..." Carrie told her everything that had happened. Suzanna listened, taking in every word.

"Holy cow! And Sandy's got him now? That's wonderful! That poor little thing. Sandy will be great for him, though. She'll bring him through. Maybe I could tempt him with Sunshine to visit here, too."

Carrie nodded. "It wouldn't take much. He'd love it, probably. Make sure you read up on turtles, though."

Suzanna laughed. "At least it's not snakes. I can handle turtles."

"When I was his age, my thing was ducks and geese."

"I bet your parents just loved that! How many did you bring home?"

"Ohh, lots. Maybe we should find out when his birthday is and get him a turtle, if Sandy thinks it's okay," suggested Carrie.

"Where would we find a turtle?"

Carrie shrugged. "Exotic pet store maybe?"

"Doesn't he like dogs? A puppy would be easier."

"I guess so. We'll find out. But I think he's going to be just fine," said Carrie.

"Sounds like it. I'm glad," Suzanna smiled.

Carrie leaned back in her chair. "Ugh, I ate too much."

"Pancakes are filling. Oh, there's Sunshine," Suzanna smiled as the cat went by the door to the kitchen in the arms of a lady who had been there several times. Suzanna was now getting regulars, and had even been asked about seasonal rates or weekly rates. Right now, the weekly rates were being discussed by Suzanna and her staff. "He hardly ever walks any more. Everyone carries him around."

"Lucky thing. He is a real favorite, isn't he? Do you ever have him at night any more?"

"Maybe once or twice a week is all. Meows is worried about him, though. He's afraid someone will take him home with them," said Suzanna.

"Sounds like Meows. He worries, doesn't he?"

"Worse than a grandmother," Suzanna agreed.

Suzanna's cell phone rang, and she pulled it out of her pocket and answered. It was Paul.

"I'm going to get brave and get out," he said. "Do you need anything?"

Suzanna laughed. "No. But let me ask Carrie. She's right here." She moved the phone away. "It's Paul. He said he's getting out, do you need anything?"

Carrie shook her head, then laughed. "I bet Zeus is going to love this."

Suzanna chuckled and went back to the phone.

"I heard that. Thanks a lot," he said with a smile in his voice.

"I suppose he's going with you," laughed Suzanna.

Paul sighed. "Of course. He doesn't let me get away with anything. Okay, then, I'll see you ladies in a bit...hopefully, if I don't get tossed out of the car by an upset feline."

"We'll hope for the best," said Suzanna. They hung up.

"Poor man," said Carrie. "Zeus really rides him about his driving."

"I know, but it's really funny, a man like him being hounded by a talking cat. He should have kept the name Booger."

Carrie laughed. "That's what I thought, too."

"Oh God. You're going to drive in the snow again? Geez, have you lost your mind?" snarled Zeus as he pawed his computer off.

"I thought maybe you'd like to go visit Belle and everyone," said Paul. "They're at Carrie's."

"No, you're bored. And crazy, for wanting to drive in that stuff. Why don't we just stay home and finish off the caviar and smoked Gouda?" suggested Zeus. “Despite the cholesterol, don’t you think we might live longer if we did that?”

"You can, if you want. I'm getting out, and I thought you might like to go see your friends."

"If I don't go with you, you'll wrap yourself around a tree. You're a horrible driver," grumbled Zeus.

"I am not. You're just afraid of cars," Paul said, packing the cat's computer into the case.

"Hmph. I'm not afraid of anything. Well, except your driving. Haven't you even considered hiring a driver?" Zeus asked.

"I told you, I don't need a driver. Now c'mon." Paul put his coat on and picked up his keys and Zeus's laptop. "Ready?"

"Sure. I'm always ready to die. It's a cat thing," muttered Zeus, following Paul to the garage.

Zeus hopped up into the passenger side of the Honda 4WD sport utility, and reared up, putting his paws on the dash.

Paul got in and started the Honda. Zeus looked anxiously behind him as the garage door opened.

"Holy cow! That stuff is a foot deep! When did you get dropped on your head? Are you nuts?" howled Zeus.

Paul backed out. "Relax. It'll be fine, it’s not a foot deep. There's no ice, just snow, and I have four-wheel-drive. We'll make it."

"Yeah, you and those dang four wheels is what worries me. Watch the rock there."

"I see the rock. I know it's there. I put it there. Stop that," said Paul, going down the steep driveway.

"Oh geez, we're going to slide right off this edge here! What's the matter with you?" squawked Zeus, clawing the door.

"I really wish you'd cut that out. And get your claws out of the door panel, you're tearing it up," Paul said.

"Oh yeah, you're worried about a door panel. Have you ever thought of our lives here? Watch the trees, you're too close."

"No, I'm not. I thought you can see better than humans," said Paul.

"I can. Why do you think your driving scares me?"

"I think cars just bother you. My driving is not scary."

"Oh, yes it is. See? Now you're too close to the guardrail. It's straight down a billion feet there, and one more inch and you'll pitch us straight over the edge!” Zeus yelled, looking out the passenger side window.

"I have plenty of room over there," Paul assured the cat.

"No you don't. Slow down. You're going too fast. Watch the curve here," said Zeus.

"I see the curve. I'm not going too fast, I'm only doing fifteen miles an hour!" Paul snapped.

"That's probably fourteen miles an hour too fast. You're not exactly on dry pavement, you know."

"I noticed. Stop worrying so much. What is it with you? Every time you get in the car you go nuts!"

"I told you, you're a horrible driver. People like you don't need to drive. WHY won't you hire a driver?"

"I don't need a driver. And I'm not a horrible driver. You just don't like cars," Paul said.

"I don't mind cars. I just mind your driving. While you're at it, mind the car down there, it's stuck," Zeus pointed out.

"I know, I see it," Paul said, slowing down.

"Nobody's in it," said Zeus, peering carefully at it as they passed.

"Good."

"Gaaahhh! Can't you stay off the guardrail over here? We are going to die," muttered Zeus.

"No we aren't going to die! Will you stop that?" yelled Paul.

"I can't believe your human laws allow you to drive a car. You're a one-ton lethal weapon."

"Oh, please! If I'm such a terrible driver, how come I haven't killed us yet?" Paul asked.

"It's called 'luck.' Ever hear of that? Whoa! Slow down! There's a squirrel," Zeus said.

"I see the squirrel. I am going to duct-tape your jaws shut next time we go anywhere," Paul promised.

"Hah. That's what you think. I'll tear you to pieces if you even try it. Hey! Watch those trees! Can't you slow down?" yelled Zeus.

"Can't you shut up?" asked Paul.

"Can't you hire a driver and give this up?" snarled Zeus.

"You know, I REALLY liked you a LOT better before you talked!" snapped Paul.

"No you didn't. Yeeeesh, you are a terrible driver. Does your lady friend know you're such a bad driver?" asked Zeus.

"What's she got to do with my driving? I've never driven her anywhere!"

"Oh. Well. Then that explains why she's still alive."

Paul glared at the cat. "Oh, ha ha. Will you leave her out of this?"

"Watch the road! Gaahhh, you are going to kill us!"

"No, I'm not!"

"Yes you are. Don't they have four-wheel-drive taxis around here? Can't we just call one?" asked Zeus.

"They don't even have two-wheel-drive taxis. Quit nagging!" said Paul.

"I'm not nagging. I'm trying to keep us alive here. Watch the curve! Geez, you really need to give this up."

Paul sighed. "Will you shut up?"

"Hah. You're the one who said you wished I could talk," Zeus retorted.

"I didn't know you would be such a pain in the -- "

"Whoa! Slow down! Can't you see that Jeep up there?" howled Zeus.

"Oh for heaven's sake, the Jeep is half a mile away!" Paul snapped.

"No it's not. What's the matter with you? Hey, that light's turning red. Slow down!"

"I see the light. I'm stopping, see? Stop panicking," Paul said.

"Gaaahhhh! There's only that one Jeep on the road. Have you noticed the smart people are staying home?" Zeus pointed out.

"Have you noticed smart cats know when to shut up?"

"Please. If it weren't for me helping you, we'd have rolled over back there. Light's green."

"I see that, thank you," snarled Paul.

"Why don't you just park right here? We can walk to the shop from here, we don't need to dance with death any more than we have to," said Zeus.

"We're not dancing with death, and it's only another block. I wish you'd stop that."

"I wish you wouldn't be so suicidal, especially with me in the car. Do you really have to share this disorder with the whole world?" the cat asked. “That’s a little self-involved, don’t you think?”

"I do NOT have a disorder! You hate cars, is all. You're driving me nuts," Paul snapped.

"And you're sending me to a feline heart attack. I hope you're happy," Zeus shot back.

"I am NOT sending you to a feline heart attack! I am a good driver!"

"And I'm the Pope. Watch the curb there!" retorted Zeus.

"I see the damn curb. Geez! I REALLY liked you better before you opened that cat mouth of yours!" shouted Paul.

"No, you didn't. You just can't admit you're a horrible driver. Well, when you and I meet on the same day on the Rainbow Bridge, we'll both know what happened."

"I am not going to kill us! Get off my back about that or you're not going anywhere again!" yelled Paul.

"Have you forgotten how fast cats can run? I can beat you and your four-wheel-drive monstrosity here from the house to here. It might be safer. Then I get to watch you wrap yourself around a telephone pole. If it weren't for me, we'd be dead," said Zeus.

"Note to self: Never get another cat!" exclaimed Paul, exasperated.

"Gaaahhhhh!! You'll never find perfection again anyway, so if I were you, after I pass, don't even bother," muttered Zeus.

Paul sighed and looked out the window. "What did I do to get this? God has forgotten me."

Zeus looked at him and smiled. "You're a good guy, Paul, but maybe your God thinks you’re a lousy driver too. Now watch the dang fire hydrant and deliver me to Carrie's alive, ok? Let's not ruin anyone's day with funeral plans," he said.

"You. One of these days, Zeus!" fumed Paul.

"Yeah, yeah. I hear you. You gonna let me out or not? These door handles are a pain!" Zeus fussed at him, swatting at the handle.

Paul sighed loudly, and huffed out of the SUV, coming around and opening the door. "Go. Get out of my hair for a few hours and help out my blood pressure."

Zeus jumped out and Paul grabbed the laptop case. "Finally. Out of that cocoon of death. Guess we got lucky again, thank the Gods."

"Oh, shut up!" yelled Paul, not caring if anyone heard him or not.

End of Chapter 11.

More to come!

Love,
~Cat

Last edited:
Chapter 12 – Crashes

Three blocks away, Joyce stared out the window, and shivered.

“Boy, it looks cold out there,” she said.

Pook nuzzled her hand, and she reached over to scratch her chin.

"Penny for your thoughts," Pook purred at her.

"I'll give you a dollar," said Saav, hopping up.

"Dollar-fifty. Bidding war!" Pook exclaimed.

"Gaaahhh, fine, then, dollar-seventy-five. Mom, you better have invented a better mousetrap or something at this price," Saav said.

Joyce laughed at them.

"You two are a mess," she smiled.

The phone rang, and it was Paul at the B&B. "Hey, Joyce, you doing okay over there?"

“Yep. How are you?”

"Oh, I'm good. Hey, I made it into town, can I bring anything out to you guys?"

"No, thanks, Paul, we’ve got everything we need here,” she replied.

"I don't mind helping out, I can pick up anything you need,” he suggested. "I'm here with Carrie and Suzanna at Sunshine, so I'm just a few blocks away."

"Thank you, Paul, but really, I went to the store and got everything we'd need when I saw the weather report. You keep the girls company over there and stay warm," she said.

"Well, okay, then. If you change your mind, give me a call.”

“I sure will, Paul, thanks,” said Joyce.

The cats smiled, purring.

"Paul's a nice guy," said Saav fondly.

"He sure is, Mom. Good thing he listened when you suggested he get a four-wheel-drive last fall," Pook said.

“I bet Zeus had a fit driving in the snow,” said Joyce.

“Woooo,” laughed Pook. “You know it.”

"They fight like two old bachelors," smiled Saav.

"Well, they are bachelors. Kinda like that movie we watched a while back, 'The Odd Couple,'" said Joyce.

"That was a neat movie," said Pook.

"That was the night Ruffie ate too much popcorn and barfed," Saav recalled.

"Yeah, that was pretty gross. Right next to me on the coffeetable. Yuck!" Pook added, making a face. She nosed toward their computer bag. "Can you get that out for us?"

"Sure." Joyce reached for the bag and pulled out their little laptop. She set it up and plugged it in, and Saav pawed the power button. They had recently gone to wireless cable, and all of them could be online at once. Joyce was doing research on her book and was sending her columns, articles, and pictures out over email now, the cats were busy as usual with

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom