"The Cats Of Stony River" by Joyce G. Reilly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
End of Chapter Three.

The fourth chapter is of one of my favorites, but I shall make you wait of this! Ha!

I must do things of home and speak of cooking!

Love,
~Cat

Chapter 4 – Meows

A few moments after Carrie left, the cats heard a noise at the door, and saw a tall, slender 40-ish woman with long auburn hair and green eyes peering in through the door’s window. She wore a down-filled ski jacket, slightly faded jeans, and hiking boots. For some reason, this woman seemed familiar to all of them, even Belle.

"Who is that?" whispered Bart. "I know her, I think."

Saav stared. "I don't know, but I know her too...somehow."

Then they saw it. There was a cat sitting on her shoulder, looking in at them with intelligent, curious green eyes like the woman's, blending in with the blues, grays, and black of the jacket. The cats were drawn to them. They abandoned the computer and flew to the windowsill for a better look, nosing between the curtains and jumping up.

The woman saw them and laughed. She had an incredible smile. "Well, hi there, little cats. You all are so beautiful," she said through the window.

The cats and kitten purred and purred, and the big grey tabby on the lady's shoulder leaned toward the window, smiled at them and winked. The cat wanted to come in. They wanted both of them to come in, but they couldn't unlock the door without the key, and Carrie had it.

"I'll come back in a little while. Bless you babies," she said, kissing her hand and putting her hand lightly on the window. The cats and kitten sniffed at the glass where her hand had been. There was a small warm spot. She smiled and the cat on her shoulder winked, and they went across the street.

The cats and kitten were awestruck.

"One of us," breathed Bart.

"Wow! She's so pretty! And that kitty can talk, I know it," said Belle.

“You’re learning,” Bart told the kitten. Belle purred proudly.

Pook and Saav looked at each other, ears twitching. "I hope they come back," Pook whispered.

"They will," Saav replied.

“What’s happening here?” asked Bart. “Seems we’re running into ones like us all over the place.”

Pook shook her head. “I don’t know. Maybe we can find out somehow.”

“We haven’t found anything about the clowder over here,” said Belle. “All Bart and I found were just a few odd Celtic and Egyptian tales. Nothing about unusual cats here…not sentient ones, anyway.”

“Well, and a few fables about flying cats in what’s now Eastern Europe. We don’t know how we got here, though, to the USA. That seems to be the missing link,” added Bart.

“Yeah, I know,” Saav said. “We looked too. Mom even went to the library, but no luck.”

They watched while the woman and her cat disappeared into the bookstore/coffeeshop, The Daily Grind, across the street. Reluctantly, the cats and Belle hopped off the windowsill and returned to the little laptop on the counter, and began hunting for a cat screensaver. They found one, and while it was downloading, Belle asked about Africa after studying the antique globe on display in the shop the night before with Bart. They searched for information about Africa and began reading the web pages and looking at the maps and pictures.

The three older cats were so engrossed in helping little Belle learn that when Carrie's key slid into the lock, they all jumped. Bart breathed a sigh of relief.

"We saw a magic lady!" Belle exclaimed. "She's coming back with her cat."

"What?" Carrie blinked.

“Yes! With her cat!” Belle said.

“Ohhh no, not that weirdo who dresses up in the black robes and carries that stuffed panther or cougar or whatever it is? I thought she was in therapy,” sighed Carrie. “Don’t tell me she’s back!”

“Not quite, Carrie. We heard about her,” Saav told her. “This is someone completely different.”

Pook and Bart described the pretty redhead with the cat who had come by earlier, and what had happened.

"Oh my," said Carrie. "Definitely not the weirdo, then. Where did she go?"

Bart nosed across the street. "To the bookstore over there."

"Then we better look like we're open," Carrie smiled, opening the curtains and putting her sign back out. Then she went to her Jeep, and brought in a large box and a bag.

The cats watched intently. "What's that?" asked Belle.

"Hmm. I don't know. Let's see what it is," Carrie smiled. She put them on the counter and opened the bag first. "Oh. Here's some wireless cards, a couple of nice jump drives, oh, and some computer cleaning stuff."

"We only need one card, for Pook’s and Saav’s laptop. You have two," said Bart.

"We need two. You always need to have a spare on hand. You ever misplace one of these at three in the morning?”

“Gee, I’d have to think about that,” smiled Bart. “Um…no.”

Carrie laughed at him. Bart winked at her.

"But why two?" asked Belle.

"Well," said Carrie, opening the box and pulling out a laptop computer. "What else would you connect this thing to for Internet?"

The cats stared. Belle started to say something but was stopped by a short hiss from Bart.

"Yes, Bart and Belle, it's yours," smiled Carrie, putting it in front of them on the counter.

Belle gasped. Bart's eyes grew huge. It was a used laptop that looked brand new; a little bigger than the girls', but the same name brand. Belle put a paw out to it, then snatched her paw away.

"Go ahead, open the top. It's yours," Carrie assured her.

"Wow!" said Bart, as Belle lifted the top and opened it up. Pook and Saav gawked.

"That's cool, Carrie!" said Pook. “That’s better than ours!”

“It sure is,” Saav smiled happily. “Neat!”

Carrie smiled. “Justin’s coming over to install the wireless router in just a few minutes. This card is for you girls, and this one is Bart’s and Belle’s. Now, see, everybody can be online.”

She plugged the power cord in. “Fire it up, Bart.”

Bart pawed the power button and it sprang to life. Carrie moved a small mahogany Shaker-style breakfast table behind the counter next to her desk, and moved both laptops from the counter to the table, where they would be out of the way. A pretty little walnut stationery box held the jump drives and cleaning items. Then she placed a very colorful, room-dividing Oriental screen around it, making a private little computer nook for them. In front of the screen, she placed a pair of rubber plants to distract from the space between the screen and the wall where the cats could slip back and forth.

“Ooooo,” said Belle. “I like the dragons on that.”

"What's that for?" asked Bart, indicating the screen.

"How am I going to explain cats using computers to my customers?" Carrie asked him.

He blinked. "Oh."

"That might be a challenge," said Saav.

Ralph poked his head through the door. "Cats! Bart! Belle! Lunchtime!" he boomed.

In all the excitement of the morning, Belle forgot herself.

"Wow, great! I'm starving!" she said, jumping from the counter.

Ralph turned white. Carrie stared at Belle. The cats froze.

Crap! Bart thought, and hissed at Belle. Belle cowered.

Pook and Saav shuddered. Carrie’s heart made a sickening thunk in her chest. Ohhhh nooooooo!

Ralph’s eyes narrowed as he studied the cats at his feet, his gaze finally resting on Belle.

"Did that kitten just say that?" Ralph asked.

Carrie nodded, as her throat went dry. It was too late.

Ralph stared at Carrie, thunderstruck. Then a look of slow realization stole over his face.

"I'll be damned. My mother was right all along," Ralph said, a huge grin spreading from ear to ear.

"Y-your mother?" Carrie stammered.

"She always said, 'Of course animals talk. You just have to believe.' She believed. I guess I did too. I take it this is something you all don't tell people, right?"

"Right."

"I'll never tell. People would think I was on something, anyway. Let me guess. The other ones talk too."

Carrie nodded, but she knew Ralph, and she trusted him. She knew he wouldn't even tell his wife.

“Who all knows about them?”

“You, Joyce, and me,” she replied.

“No one else?”

Carrie shook her head. “Not a soul.”

"Well, isn't that something." He looked down at the cats and little Belle, whose drooping head told them how ashamed she was. "C'mon, Belle, don't look so sad," he said, and scooped her up into his arms. "I'll make you a deal. If you get tired of talking to these folks over here, you can always come over and chat with me."

Ralph winked at Carrie. She relaxed noticeably, relieved. This must have been something meant to be, and Carrie always thought there was something especially kind-hearted about Ralph. Belle purred in Ralph's arms as he carried her to the restaurant, the cats following the jolly man to plates

heaping with seafood and, of course, plenty of vegetables for one growing kitten.

Carrie sank to her desk chair behind the counter, still shaken. Ralph had taken that pretty well, she thought. She couldn't be mad at little Belle. Belle already knew she had made a bad mistake, and one not likely to be repeated. The little ones have to learn, she knew. Well, it was meant to be, or it wouldn't have happened. Whether it was meant to be that Ralph learned the secret or Belle needed to learn not to talk around other people, or both, it was meant to be and that was that. Carrie wondered about Joyce, holding on tightly to that secret for almost a year. And what had made Carrie ask her if the cats could talk those months ago? Rumors of talking cats from a fellow she hardly knew at all shouldn't have been enough to stir her curiosity that much. But Pook and Saav knew Carrie, and trusted her. Carrie wondered if Joyce had fussed any more at the little cats after she picked them up that afternoon.

Probably not. She was known for keeping her head and she obviously understood things that weren't exactly understandable, much less explainable. Carrie always felt closer to animals than people, even her husband, and she wondered about that. Why was she more comfortable around her dogs at home or her cats at work? She'd never been able to figure that out. Why were every one of her few friends pet owners? Ralph had cats at home and for many years had even had a horse. Did his cats talk? Did they use his computer? Did they join internet cat-owners’ groups?

Am I losing my mind?

If she kept this up, she'd drive herself nuts. She sighed. She needed to stop thinking about it.

Justin walked into the shop, providing a welcome interruption to her thoughts.

“Hi. You okay? You look upset,” he said,

“Oh, I’m fine, just thinking about…new ventures,” she laughed, trying to sound casual. Justin looked at her closely, and decided she must be a bit tired.

“You’ll do just fine,” he said with a smile. “Well, let’s get you wireless.”

“Great,” she replied. She watched as he hooked up the router and made sure it worked with his laptop.

“Want me to check your laptop connection?” he offered.

She suddenly realized it was behind the screen with the other laptop. That would be impossible to explain. He’d think she was crazy for hiding

two laptops back there with no room for a human to work on them. “Ahh, no thanks, I think I can handle that. If I run into a problem, I’ll call you.”

“Okay. Well, you’re all set. Let me know if you need anything,” Justin said, turning off his laptop and getting up from the floor next to her tower.

“Thank you, Justin. I will,” she promised.

“Off to the next problem,” he smiled, and went out the door.

Carrie sat back down, worried. That was close. She sighed and got up, put on some coffee, and wondered if the woman with the cat was coming back today.

As if on cue, the shop door opened with a jangle of bells, and a stunning redhead with dancing green eyes poked her head in.

"Hi! May I bring my cat in with me or would you rather he stay out here?" she asked, smiling.

What a smile, thought Carrie. "No! Don't leave him out, bring him in," Carrie replied. "Pets are welcome here.”

What am I doing, she thought. Of course. The magic woman, Belle had said.

"Oh thank you! His name is Meows, and he'll stay on my shoulder,” she said, coming in. The big grey tabby seemed to smile at Carrie.

“He’s beautiful,” said Carrie. “May I pet him?”

“Certainly.”

Carrie reached up and scratched the cat’s ears. Meows purred at her loudly.

"Would he like a bite to eat? My cats here are next door feasting on seafood. Ralph always has plenty of leftovers,” Carrie offered.

"Would you like that, Meows?" the woman asked her cat. Carrie swore she saw the cat nod. “I think he’d love a little something right now. Thank you!”

"C'mon, we'll get him a plate," said Carrie, rising and going out the back, the lady and her cat following her. They went into the kitchen. "Ralph, you got an extra plate? Seems we have a visitor."

"Sure!" Ralph replied, reaching for a plate. The cats on the floor looked up.

"Oh, I saw these dear faces in your window when I came by earlier," she said, kneeling to pet them. Meows jumped off her shoulder and sat down, waiting for a plate and looking like he was trying not to drool. The cats purred at this lady's gentle petting, and Belle looked up at Meows and put out a little paw.

Meows gave her a whisker-kiss, and she purred and rubbed against him. Carrie felt the big grey tabby was happy. Could he talk? One of us, Bart had said.

Ralph came over with a plate and set it in front of Meows. The cat looked at Ralph gratefully, and began his lunch, eating slowly, taking care not to be messy.

"Now he's a handsome one," Ralph smiled. He scratched Meows's ear and went back to work. The other cats and Belle returned to their plates, and Carrie led the woman out, pointing out the cat doors and assuring her the shop cats would make sure he got back after lunch.

"I love your shop here," said the woman. She introduced herself as Suzanna Pearson, and told Carrie she had just bought the huge Victorian house on the corner half a block from Carrie's shop, and was starting to turn it into a cozy bed-and-breakfast. She was planning to live behind the enormous house in what used to be the caretaker's cottage, and was remodeling that, too. The property had stood empty for over two years, and badly needed updating. For now, Suzanna was staying in a suite in one of the hotels downtown within walking distance to her new enterprise.

Carrie listened to her singsong voice, and Suzanna's laughter was infectious. Carrie introduced herself, and Suzanna told her she wanted to give the house its original pre-WW1 look, and was interested in antique lamps, furniture, and anything else Carrie could think of.

"I am so NOT an interior designer," Suzanna admitted. "But I want this place to be as close to perfect as I can get it."

"I can help," said Carrie. "When you're ready for the decorating, I'd like to see the place and we can go from there. Meanwhile, these may help."

She went behind the counter and got several catalogs out and piled them on the counter.

"Oh goodness," laughed Suzanna. "I didn't know there is so much out there."

"Well, a lot of these are copies and reproductions of the originals, but they are really, really good ones. It's ok to have a few reproductions in with the real antiques, as long as they're high-quality. Plus, it'll save you some money. Take these home and look through them, and get some ideas."

Suzanna looked alarmed. "Don't you need these?"

"No," said Carrie, shaking her head. "I have more copies of those back here."

"Oh, okay, thank you. This will really help," smiled Suzanna. "This is all so exciting."

"I'm glad you bought that place. I hated seeing it just sit there, and I can't wait to see it all fixed up and vibrant."

The two women chatted a little longer, and Suzanna looked around the shop, asking about items here and there, admiring many, and talking about her plans for the property.

After their lunch, the shop cats waited for Meows to finish, then led him back to Carrie and Suzanna. They piled in through the cat door, talking away.

Carrie and Suzanna looked at each other.

"I knew this morning," Suzanna said with a wink. "None of yours spoke to us, but I knew."

"Thank you for lunch. It was delicious, and I enjoyed it very much. I also am enjoying the company of your cats," Meows said politely to Carrie.

Carrie stared at him, then smiled. Gee. Why am I not really surprised? Have I become so jaded now?

"You're - you're welcome," Carrie stammered. She looked at Suzanna. "Is he always like this? So proper?"

"He puts his 'people manners' on when we go out. When we're home, he slurps and belches and scratches just like everyone else," Suzanna laughed. Meows smiled. Bart laughed.

"We act like slobs everywhere," said the big orange tabby.

Meows shrugged. "I like making her look good." He nosed at Suzanna.

"I'll tell ya, she looks great with you on her shoulder like you were this morning," said Pook.

"Hey," said Bart. "Wanna see our new laptop?"

"It would be a pleasure," Meows replied. The cats all headed for the table behind the screen, and disappeared, whispering so they couldn't be heard by humans in case another customer came in.

"Oh, they use computers too," Suzanna smiled. "I had to get Meows a laptop, too. He wouldn't stay off my computer and I started needing it more, so the only answer to that was to get him his own."

"It's so amazing, these cats...using computers, reading, talking, educating themselves, knowing what they know...I've only had Bart for five months, and Belle was adopted just Christmas Day. Pook and Saav aren't mine, they belong to a friend who kept their secret for almost a year. Pook was the one who broke the secret to me. Her owner never said a word."

Suzanna nodded. "Meows spoke to me after I had him for about three days. He was only seven months old. Scared the crap out of me, but then I

realized what a gift I had. He's three years old now, and you folks are the only ones who know about him. He told me we would know if we ran into others like us. They must have talked over lunch."

Meows poked his head around from behind the screen. "Yes, we did. We had a most enlightening conversation." He disappeared back behind it.

Suzanna snickered. "Damn cat ears."

Carrie shook her head with a smile. “Pook and Saav spoke to Bart first. Then…I don’t know. It’s very odd, the feral cats coming through last year and moving on like that. And only certain people finding the talking, sentient ones. Weird.”

Suzanna narrowed her eyes at Carrie. “Your two and the other two all come from the Ash Mountain clowder?”

“They have a name?!” Carrie felt a chill.

“You didn’t know?”

“Do I look like I know?” asked Carrie, annoyed.

Suzanna reached out and patted Carrie’s shoulder. “I’m not being coy. I am being careful. Only those who actually have these cats are supposed to know the tale, and I believe yours here are of the clowder.”

“What tale?”

“About where they came from. Who and what they are.”

“Can you start at the beginning?” Carrie asked.

“Sure,” said Suzanna, eyeing the coffeemaker. “But it’ll cost you some java. Can’t tell this kind of thing without coffee.”

“Sounds like I don’t want to hear it without having a well-stocked bar at my elbow,” muttered Carrie, getting up.

Her new friend laughed. “Well, it’s a bit early for that, I’m afraid.”

“Like hell it is,” said Carrie, going behind the counter and pulling out a tiny bottle of Courvoisier cognac. “How about it? You driving?”

Suzanna shook her head. “No, walking. You?”

“Depends upon how weird this story is. One, I’ll be fine, it’ll be out of my system by the time I close up. More than one, I call a cab.”

“What cab? There’s a taxi service here?”

Carrie laughed and got out two brandy snifters, then pointed toward the back of the store.

“Police department’s right across the alley. They’ve taken me home before when my car died on me and when I broke my arm in the alley, and the chief lives close to me and can bring me in, or Ralph can, it’s no problem,” said Carrie, pouring a fairly generous amount into both glasses.

“Ah, okay. Good. I don’t think you’ll need more than one, though. It’s not that scary,” Suzanna assured her.

“Sure. I’ll be the judge of that,” Carrie replied, and handed Suzanna a glass over the counter. She pulled up a couple of chairs to a small end table, set out her “Closed” sign, and locked the shop door, leaving the key in the lock inside. The two women raised a toast to cats, sipped, and the cats stole out from behind the screen.

“Excuse us,” said Meows. “Suzanna, my friends have not heard the tale. They were separated from the group before they were able to hear it. May they listen in, please?”

“Of course,” replied Suzanna, raising her glass to them.

Bart eyed the cognac. “Perhaps some ice cream for us might be in order?”

“Okay,” agreed Carrie. She got up and went to the little refrigerator she kept in the back, and came back with vanilla ice cream for them. She put the bowls on the floor around the end table so the cats could have their treats and listen in easily.

“The Ash Mountain Ferals, as they are officially called, began in England in the days of King Arthur and the Isle of Avalon. There was a very young farmer living on the west coast of Wales who was said to have some very special powers. In fact, it was said at the time he was a healer, and some claimed to have seen the great Taliesin riding out to meet with him in the groves,” began Suzanna. “The young man’s name was Garaen, and one night he was summoned to the town in the middle of the night.

“One of the town’s richest merchants’ daughter was ill with a fever, and the merchant begged the young farmer to do everything he could to save her, and that he would pay the young man anything he wished if he would save her life and restore her health. Garaen told the father he would try, and if she did survive and get well, they would discuss and agree on a payment later. If she died, the merchant owed the farmer nothing. So the deal was struck, and the young man went in to the daughter’s bedside.”

Suzanna paused to sip her cognac, then continued:

“She was about dead, and after examining her, he realized that there was only one thing he could do. It was risky at best and involved a spell, and it had to be done exactly right or there would be disastrous results. He stepped back out of her room and told her father what he had found and the conclusion to which that had led, and after some thought, the father asked the healer about the spell. Garaen told him about it, and since it took the two of them to do it, he explained what the father’s role in the spell was.”

“What was the spell?” asked Belle.

“Ssssshhhh!” hissed Bart.

“No one knows,” replied Suzanna. “It’s never been attempted since, and after a time no one remained who knew about it. Anyway, so the young man and the father go into the daughter’s room, and – “

“What was her name?” Belle wanted to know.

“Eliana,” said Suzanna. “So, they start the spell, but unknown to the healer, the father did not believe in magic or spellwork and halfway through the spell, he got nervous and very frightened, and became convinced the healer was actually trying to harm his daughter and take her from him. As I said, if the spell is messed up, well, here comes disaster.

“The door to Eliana’s room had been left open, and in walked a cat. The father went nuts, taking the cat’s presence as a sign that his daughter was being harmed somehow, and suddenly he fell over with a stroke, dead, just like that. Garaen and Eliana, because Garaen believed and Eliana was the object of his ministrations, turned into sentient cats.

“They knew they couldn’t stay in town, so they ran to the hills, and there they lived and started a family. The clowders grew from them, ending up in Europe and, later, Egypt, by ship. The cats were caught and put on board to keep the rats under control, and in 1492, on the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria….”

“That’s how we got here!” Pook cried.

“Exactly,” smiled Suzanna.

“Holy cow. That’s a wild one,” Carrie muttered. “And I thought Jack and the Beanstalk was weird.”

“Makes sense, though. If you find it hard to believe in magic, you’re going to have a hell of a time believing in sentient cats. Ask someone who’s a real witch or a Druid if their cats talk to them exactly as yours do. They’ll look at you as if you’re out of your tree,” Suzanna explained.

“Well, that’s true,” nodded Carrie.

“What was the father’s name?” asked Belle.

They all smiled at her.

“No one knows,” Suzanna replied.

The cats finished their ice cream and went back to the computer.

Carrie laughed. She went over to the coffeemaker on the end of the counter. "Would you like some coffee now? That wasn’t quite as scary as I thought it might be.”

"Actually...." Suzanna checked her watch. "If you haven't had lunch yet, would you join me for a bite?"

"Sure," said Carrie. "I'd love to."

Meows stuck his head out again. "May I stay here please?"

"Yes," smiled Suzanna. "If it's okay with Carrie."

"Of course. They're having fun."

"Okay, you can stay. Just be good and don't break anything or make a mess."

Meows looked insulted. "Far be it from me to make a mess in a fine establishment such as this," he sniffed, and disappeared again.

Carrie's eyebrows went up. Suzanna laughed.

"That's a polite way of saying go jump," she whispered to Carrie.

"It certainly is," Carrie agreed, putting her coat on and picking up her purse.

The afternoon flew by for the cats. Meows turned out to be a wealth of information as well as an excellent and patient teacher, and little Belle absorbed the maps of the world as fast as Meows could show them to her. Then she wanted to learn about the oceans, then volcanoes, and from there she learned about earthquakes and hurricanes. Meows seemed never to run out of interesting facts and he answered her incessant questions simply and accurately. They took another break around three, when Ralph called them for a snack. Meows and Suzanna were very happy to find Carrie and the cats, and the two women were fast friends by the end of the day. When Joyce arrived to pick up Pook and Saav, she was glad to meet Suzanna and Meows, and to share their secret with them. Meows was sorry to see two of his new friends leave, but Joyce promised she would bring them over the next day, Saturday, for a visit. Carrie asked Suzanna to bring Meows over any time she wished, and he promptly asked if he could visit on Saturday. It would be New Year's Eve, and they decided to have a little party for all the cats that afternoon in the store.

Carrie told Joyce that Ralph now knew of the cats' amazing abilities, and she wasn’t upset at all, though Belle did apologize. It wasn't necessary, Joyce was comfortable with Ralph and after all, she felt Ralph deserved to share the exciting secret because he was so good and generous to the cats. Also, Pook had spoken suddenly without warning to Carrie, so Joyce understood how sometimes it happened, but to the right people. Carrie and Suzanna agreed with that, too. Joyce, along with Carrie, was also very impressed with Meows's 'people manners'.

When everyone left and Carrie, Bart and Belle were left, Belle looked around.

"Sometimes it seems empty in here when all our friends leave to go to their forever homes," she sighed, nuzzling Carrie's hand. Carrie looked down at the tiny blue-eyed kitten.

"It does, doesn't it, little one?" she replied, petting her.

"Don't worry, we'll be meeting them on the computer later," Bart reminded her.

Meows was going to add them all to his contact list so they could chat and he could continue to teach Belle and answer all her questions from home. Bart was eternally grateful to Meows for that.

"It's been quite a day," said Carrie. "We made some new friends."

"I'm glad you and Suzanna get along so well. I never see you with friends much at all," said Bart.

"I don't really have many friends," Carrie said. "I just work all the time when Kyle's away."

"Well, it's good for both of you. Suzanna's only been here a few weeks, and she doesn't know anyone, and she's almost as busy as you, getting that place in shape down there."

"I like them a lot," said Belle. "Meows is so smart!"

"He really is. He's an entire Encyclopedia Brittanica on paws," Bart agreed. "I knew he was smart when I saw him from the window this morning."

Down the street half a block away, Suzanna let Meows off her shoulder and plopped the pile of catalogs on the desk next to her computer in their hotel suite.

"Whew. I have a lot to look at," she told the cat.

He nodded. "True. But I think you found the right person to help you with it. And you've got me, too. You know I'll help."

She smiled that dazzling, warm smile of hers, and scratched his chin. "I know, and I appreciate you. Hungry?"

Meows gave her a helpless look. "After all I ate today? You should have seen Ralph's idea of a 'snack.' Not right now, Suzanna, maybe later. But thank you, anyway. Where'd you and Carrie go for lunch?"

"Oh, down to that little Chinese restaurant a couple blocks from the B and B. They have a great lunch buffet."

"That's nice. Looks like you two get along real well," he replied, hopping up on the nightstand on his side of the bed where he kept his laptop. Meows pawed it on. "I'm adding my new friends to my messenger. I never use the thing, but I stuck it on here anyway just a few days ago just in case I needed it."

"Good thing you did," she said, and turned on the news on TV and picked up a catalog and put it on the little sofa. She went to the tiny kitchenette and put on a kettle of water for tea. "You guys seemed to get along really well."

Meows laughed. "That little one, Belle. She's a smart little thing. She learns so quickly and pelts questions at me so fast I can barely keep up with her. Bart's a good guy. The half-grown girls are pretty funny. I liked their owner, too."

"Yeah, that's a bunch of nice people. Nice little town, wonderful people...beats the heck out of the big city. I'm glad to be out of that ratrace. Here, I can walk to work...and it's safe. I hardly ever use the car any more." She flopped on the sofa. "Finally. Forty years of the big-city claustrophobia is over. I feel like I can breathe again."

Meows, pawing in his new friends' addresses, smiled to himself. As for me, he thought, nearly three years of seeing you stressing out is over. Now we both can breathe again.

I'm still reading and loving this...

Isn't this wonderful? My English is getting better again as I read each page!

I learned a new phrase last night. Joyce watched me copying and pasting this and she hugged me. She said, "This is a real labor of love, Cat. I'm really honored you would do this for me."

A labor of love is when one does a hard task for someone one loves. I love her, and I love you all, and I love her book. There is much love in this labor, yes?

It's delightful! Keep 'em coming, Cat!

I shall! I do as much as I can in the evenings when my work is all done. I am so very happy you like this!

With very much love poured onto each page I post for you all and Joyce,
~Cat

Chapter 5 – Sunshine Inn

Pook and Saav made a beeline for the front door of their house when Joyce let them out. She opened the door, and they scooted in, looking for their canine sister. They always worried about her and missed her when they were at the shop. Ruffie, the big wolfdog, came out from the back, yapping happily in greeting. They rubbed against her legs and traded whisker-kisses and head-bonks. The little girls then raced back out to the kitchen, where Joyce was cleaning out her lunchbox.

"What's for dinner?" asked Saav, hopping up on the kitchen table.

Joyce looked at her. "You pigged out on seafood and hush puppies all day and you're still hungry?"

Saav smiled and belched. "Yes."

Joyce shook her head. “Might want to get you checked for tapeworms.”

“She doesn’t have worms, Mom. Look at her. She just had another growth spurt,” Pook pointed out.

“Yep,” said Saav proudly, stretching. “I am getting a little bigger.”

“Well, you sure are,” Joyce smiled, and petted the preening Saav.

Pook jumped up beside her. "Would you believe Belle likes veggies? Today she was eating salad! I'm talking lettuce, carrots, rabbit food. Gaaahhhh! And you wouldn't believe what broccoli does to her."

"I can just imagine," said Joyce, wrinkling up her nose.

“They all joined our forum today,” Saav announced, swatting at the peppermill on the table. “We made them their own sections with forums for their blogs, pictures, stuff they write, whatever, like our personal forums. Meows wanted a special forum for his book reviews, Belle wanted a section on poetry, and Bart wanted a spot where he could post pet news. Kinda neat!”

“Well, good, that will be interesting to read,” said Joyce.

"What did you think of Suzanna and Meows?" Saav asked.

"Suzanna is gorgeous and seems to be so interesting. I hope we see much more of her. Meows is a perfect little gentleman, and seemed to really take to Belle."

"Yeah," said Pook, smoothing her whiskers with a paw. "He's kinda like a mentor to her, teaching her about all kinds of things. Meows is real smart."

"Carrie needs a good friend like Suzanna," added Saav. "She spends too much time alone."

"I know she does. I wish I didn't have to get up so early, otherwise I'd try to get over to her house more during the week," said Joyce.

"So what are we going to be doing for our cat party tomorrow?" asked Pook.

"Probably eat a lot and visit," Joyce laughed.

"Sounds like fun to me. We're good at that," said Saav with a giggle.

"Can we give presents?" Pook asked.

"Well, sure, if you'd like to." Joyce smiled at Pook. “What did you have in mind?”

"Just a little something for Meows and Suzanna. They're new here, and we didn't get to have Christmas with them," Saav explained.

"Yeah, and they were here on Christmas, and probably spent it alone in that hotel room," Pook added.

"Yuck. I see your point. Okay, we'll find them something nice before we go. It may be a week late, but at least it's something," nodded Joyce.

After a dinner of homemade chicken soup and salad, Joyce, Pook, and Saav sat in the living room. Joyce was on her laptop editing some pictures, while Saav helped Pook with her class assignment online.

Pook finished her class project, and sent it in. She turned the computer over to Saav, who had a short story to finish.

“I hate this,” Saav snarled, bringing up her document.

“You hate what?” asked Joyce.

“Writing this crap,” replied the black cat.

“What crap?” Joyce leaned over and looked at the screen. “Ohhh…you have to write a love story.”

“Makes me want to retch,” grumbled Saav.

“That’s why I’m not helping you with this one. Any more of that and I will retch,” said Pook. “That’s disgusting.”

Joyce read it. “Why, that’s not bad at all. Just a little kissing, is all. I’ve seen worse.”

“Phooey on that. I think it’s horrible. They’re gonna get run over by a train,” muttered Saav.

“That’ll work. A terrible tragedy,” said Pook. “They aren’t real people anyway.”

“Geez! That’s awful!” exclaimed Joyce.

Saav giggled. “What do you think, Pooks? Passenger or freight train?”

“Freight trains are heavier, aren’t they?” Pook asked.

“Oh, Pook! You’re not helping,” Joyce said, wincing.

“I said I wasn’t helping with this one in the first place,” said Pook. “Go for it, Saav.”

Saav sighed, frustrated. “I would, but the instructor might hate it and I need a good grade on this to keep up my average.”

“Oh. But Saav, we’ll never graduate,” Pook pointed out.

“So? That should make you not want to do your best to learn?” asked Saav.

“Well, no, of course not, but if you really wanted to mess with the instructor and do it, you could and it won’t hurt you,” said Pook.

Back
Top Bottom