"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Later? Like when? I'd have turned them in on the spot for neglecting their animals. That kind of stuff piiii.... err, ticks me off. Big Time.

I have a customer who kept her neighbor's dog. She said she couldn't stand to see him neglected anymore, so she went over and took him. Her neighbor didn't even care. The dog is better off for it, too.

And here's your neighbor letting un unneutered male run loose... that opens up a whole other can of worm. Keep him Barbara, or help place him with someone you know will love him and take care of him.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

No need to apologize poached pear! I know what you mean. I see a lot of dogs who are tied out and no one ever pays any attention to them. Dogs need attention.

Barbara

Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Later? Like when? I'd have turned them in on the spot for neglecting their animals. That kind of stuff piiii.... err, ticks me off. Big Time.

I have a customer who kept her neighbor's dog. She said she couldn't stand to see him neglected anymore, so she went over and took him. Her
I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt--but I agree. Something needed to be done right then. From what I have heard, the animal control guy in this county isn't that caring about animals. Of course, I don't know about that either. I'd rather take care of his leg myself and know he is being taken care of than risk him getting thrown in a shelter. We do have a privately owned no-kill shelter in the county that takes care of animals, and we have brought them dogs or cats that have been abandoned on roads in the middle of nowhere.

If James says we can keep him, I will. My other option (something we have thought about doing for awhile) would be to bring him to the no-kill shelter, as they would take care of him and find a home for him. But I love the little sweetie. Cubbie gets along well with him, and he loves Cubbie too. I'm not sure how he will be with the cats. He and his brother chase cats outside, and I think they have killed squirrels. One of our cats is about to have babies.

Barbara
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
Head Chef

The neighbor who lives behind us brought home a boxer puppy this w/end and chained it up in the yard. It lives outside 24/7 with only a tiny plastic dog house that isn't even a dog house, it is one of their kids toys. No one interacts with it. No one walks it, pets it or pays attention to it. Today I typed up a note that said they need put their dog up at night when it gets cold (it was zero here last night) and if they don't I'm calling animal control. I'm calling animal control tomorrow.
It makes so so angry and upset that people have dogs but do not take care of them. Why bother having one?!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
The neighbor who lives behind us brought home a boxer puppy this w/end and chained it up in the yard. It lives outside 24/7 with only a tiny plastic dog house that isn't even a dog house, it is one of their kids toys. No one interacts with it. No one walks it, pets it or pays attention to it. Today I typed up a note that said they need put their dog up at night when it gets cold (it was zero here last night) and if they don't I'm calling animal control. I'm calling animal control tomorrow.
It makes so so angry and upset that people have dogs but do not take care of them. Why bother having one?!
Defintely too cold for a puppy. I'm glad you are taking action.

Maybe I should have called animal control about this one, but my first thought was taking care of his wound. Plus I really love him and want some control in what happens to him.

Barbara
Old 01-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
I hate it to.What the heck is wrong with people? Good for you Toots for fixing to call the authorities, if you dont it will eat at you every day. It's really hard to get these poor animals help as the people that have them just dont get it and then they get mad at you for trying to help.I really hope the pup gets a better living situation real soon. I hope they are at least feeding and watering it and it has a blanket or something.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Barbara I said it once and I'll say it another million times... the world need smore people like you in it.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
Head Chef

One of the really difficult things about living in Mexico is that Mexicans generally do not regard their animals in the same way we do. Our next door neighbors are really nice people and wonderful neighbors, but they leave their dogs outside all the time, running loose (no leash laws here). We had their last dog spayed for them - she was our dogs' mama. When we adopted our puppies a year and a half ago, they were so sick, they were near death from worms and tick infections. They are the only survivors of a litter of 10, and are now big strong dogs in terrific health (Dagwood and Blondie). We have a large walled lot that is gated, so they are safe. A few months ago, the mama dog disappeared - probably hit by a car. Then last week, their other little dog disappeared. In the meantime they have a new puppy - we have already arranged to have her spayed and we feed her twice a day, because they seldom feed her. She is a sweet thing, but her chances of survival are slim to none living on the street. It just breaks my heart, and is very hard to understand.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Well, well, can I say something.
I do not know those people, but I know my situation.
I don't know how else to say this, I'm dirt poor.
I live with 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 birds though.
So here it's how it usually goes.
I cook for my animals, because I do not believe in ANY commercial food (they are BAD!!)
I usually eat bread and cheese and jalapenos (and it is ok, I do not want to cook for only myself anyway)
I, on the other hand, can not always afford to take any of them to the vet's.
So, I try to treat whatever, whenever in a homeopathic way, as long as I can.
Not to mention, one of my dogs has serious allergy problems, but it was NOT the vet who figured it out.
I did all the research and figured it out myself.
Until then I paid big bucks for shampoos, pills, whatever, and nothing worked.
When I finally figured out it was food related, the vet wanted to sell me commercial food with the VERY ingredient in it he is allergic to!
So what do you think?!

In any case, that neighbour may not be a bad guy you know. Just poor.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 AM   #20
Head Chef

Mitmondol, I'm not sure if you're referring to my neighbor or Barbara's neighbor, or Toots' neighbor, but I assure you that our neighbor IS poor. He and his wife both work 5 and 1/2 days a week and have two small children under five. They are great parents and good neighbors - it's just that they have little time and precious few resources to spend on a dog. Veterinary care is very inexpensive here and is of very high quality, but buying food and paying for gas and utilities has to come first.

Barbara L., you have a good heart, and that dog seems like a sweetie. Maybe you could approach the neighbor as a friend and offer to take the dog to the vet as a favor? And also ask if you can get him neutered? This is not easy to do without sounding critical, so you'd just have to play it by ear....