The Continuing Saga of the Neighborhood Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In any case, that neighbour may not be a bad guy you know. Just poor.
This is true, mitmondol, and thanks for bringing it up. I know that personally I've been in the position quite a few times of being unable to afford medical and dental care, much less veterinary care. I've felt bad but I just had to do the best I could. There have been a lot of posts here from members looking for advice on how to treat a sick animal because they didn't have the money to go to the vet right then so you are not alone. It's hard being poor and maybe feeling like the world thinks you shouldn't have a pet or anything else because of finances.

I think the folks that posted are animal lovers like you and everyone was going on the assumption that the owner had not taken care of the wound out of general neglect of the animal rather than lack of finances since he allows the animals wander the neighborhood. But I'm sorry this issue didn't come up earlier and I hope it didn't make you feel bad. It's hard enough being broke, huh?

I have already stated that in many ways my neighbor is a nice guy. He isn't poor--he is middle class, with only himself to support. If someone here isn't able to take care of their pets, there are free services that can place their animals in a home that can support them. We also have an inexpensive rabies clinic every year.

My reason for starting this thread was simply to introduce you all to an adorable little guy who has stolen my heart. The facts of why he is at this moment playing tug-of-war with Cubbie in my living room aren't so nice, but that is just how it was.

:)Barbara

Barbara I said it once and I'll say it another million times... the world need smore people like you in it.
If there were more people like me there would probably be more murders! LOL Just kidding! Thank you middie. I would like to believe that most people would do the same for helpless animals. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

P.S. Both my husband and I are out of work (he for over 3 1/2 years and me for 7 months), so I do understand not having the money to buy things we need for us or our pets. But I do know that the dog's owner has a job and the money to take care of his dogs.

Geeeeez Barbara, I did not mean to make you (or anybody!) to feel bad!!!
And I feel what you feel!
I just tried to .... oh whatever.
Haven't had a paycheck since 2002 if it means anything, but I survive.
Now things will change soon, my mom (83) is moving here in a few weeks from EU.
Her meds are about $300 a month(I hope not more!) and I will have to come up with that extra every month.
NOW, pets, mom, living, what am I gonna do?!
Will see......

Don't worry, you really didn't make me feel bad. I hope I didn't make you or anyone feel bad either.

SierraCook, Little Guy said he wouldn't mind living in California! :cool:

Cubbie was feeling left out of the pictures, so below is one I took a couple minutes ago. It isn't the best picture in the world, but it is the only really recent one I have of him. His eyes are really a pretty brown, but they always show green, red, or yellow in his indoor pictures! He is worn out after playing tug-of-war with Little Guy (whose name might change to Stanley--because of his resemblance to Stan Laurel--if we get to keep him). If I can sneak one of him the way he is sleeping now, I will.

Attachments

• Cubbie 01-23-08 001.jpg
    Cubbie 01-23-08 001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Thanks! Cubbie is a good boy! He is great company while my husband is in school during the week. And he is a great traveler, so he gets to go with us pretty often.

While this thread seems to be going to the dogs :LOL:, I might as well tell you the upcoming news about a clinic where you can get dogs/cats spayed/neuter at a reduced fee.

They have mobile units and one of the companies sponsoring them and giving them parking space is Hooter's Restaurants.

(for those who need to give their animal immunizations for things like parvo, you can buy the serum at a farm store or feed house for about $4. It comes with a syringe and needle and has to be injected. Most nurse friends will do it for you...it's not hard to learn)

Back to you Barbara L :cool: .........You're dogs are so cute!

Thanks for the information StirBlue.

I have to worry about one extra thing here that I did not have to worry about in California--heartworm. At least by the time I moved here, California did not have heartworms.

Well, the first time I took Little Guy out to go potty he came back in willingly (jumped in ahead of me, in fact). The second time, just awhile ago, he didn't want to come back in. I hated to leave him out there, but he was insistent, and since he really isn't mine, and because he had already started to chew on things and I need to go to bed, I went ahead and let him go. I will see if he will come in tomorrow. I think he has gotten more rest in here, which is good for healing. Our pregnant cat was in hiding the whole time he was in here, so I'm sure she is glad he is gone! She doesn't like Cubbie either, but she can manuever around him. Well, it is 5:15 a.m. I guess I should get to bed!

Oh Barbara, I'm soooo glad you took care of his wound. I don't care what your neighbor had going on he should have dropped everything and took care of his puppy. Either himself or taking him to the vet. I just don't understand some people...

Luckily the world has pet lovers like ourselves and I can only hope we make up for the ones who don't take care of their pets.

Cubbie is adorable!!

While this thread seems to be going to the dogs :LOL:, I might as well tell you the upcoming news about a clinic where you can get dogs/cats spayed/neuter at a reduced fee.

They have mobile units and one of the companies sponsoring them and giving them parking space is Hooter's Restaurants.

(for those who need to give their animal immunizations for things like parvo, you can buy the serum at a farm store or feed house for about $4. It comes with a syringe and needle and has to be injected. Most nurse friends will do it for you...it's not hard to learn)

Back to you Barbara L :cool: .........You're dogs are so cute!
We've had that program here and in Houston (called SNAP here) for quite a few years and it's great! Here it's first come, first serve and you just show up at 6am with the animal and then pick it up sometime after 1 in the afternoon. That's for spay/neuter, which is reduced or free, depending upon your circumstances. Then they have well animal clinics regularly for routine stuff. It's made a big impact on our unwanted animal situation here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom