"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol View Post
In any case, that neighbour may not be a bad guy you know. Just poor.
This is true, mitmondol, and thanks for bringing it up. I know that personally I've been in the position quite a few times of being unable to afford medical and dental care, much less veterinary care. I've felt bad but I just had to do the best I could. There have been a lot of posts here from members looking for advice on how to treat a sick animal because they didn't have the money to go to the vet right then so you are not alone. It's hard being poor and maybe feeling like the world thinks you shouldn't have a pet or anything else because of finances.

I think the folks that posted are animal lovers like you and everyone was going on the assumption that the owner had not taken care of the wound out of general neglect of the animal rather than lack of finances since he allows the animals wander the neighborhood. But I'm sorry this issue didn't come up earlier and I hope it didn't make you feel bad. It's hard enough being broke, huh?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have already stated that in many ways my neighbor is a nice guy. He isn't poor--he is middle class, with only himself to support. If someone here isn't able to take care of their pets, there are free services that can place their animals in a home that can support them. We also have an inexpensive rabies clinic every year.

My reason for starting this thread was simply to introduce you all to an adorable little guy who has stolen my heart. The facts of why he is at this moment playing tug-of-war with Cubbie in my living room aren't so nice, but that is just how it was.

Barbara

Old 01-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #23
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
Barbara I said it once and I'll say it another million times... the world need smore people like you in it.
If there were more people like me there would probably be more murders! LOL Just kidding! Thank you middie. I would like to believe that most people would do the same for helpless animals. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Barbara
Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon

P.S. Both my husband and I are out of work (he for over 3 1/2 years and me for 7 months), so I do understand not having the money to buy things we need for us or our pets. But I do know that the dog's owner has a job and the money to take care of his dogs.

Barbara
Old 01-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #25
Master Chef

Barbara, you are such a good person to take that adorable dog into your home. I hope that his leg is OK. Thanks for sharing those pictures of Little Guy. They make me want to come and help you take care of him myself.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Geeeeez Barbara, I did not mean to make you (or anybody!) to feel bad!!!
And I feel what you feel!
I just tried to .... oh whatever.
Haven't had a paycheck since 2002 if it means anything, but I survive.
Now things will change soon, my mom (83) is moving here in a few weeks from EU.
Her meds are about $300 a month(I hope not more!) and I will have to come up with that extra every month.
NOW, pets, mom, living, what am I gonna do?!
Will see......
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Don't worry, you really didn't make me feel bad. I hope I didn't make you or anyone feel bad either.

SierraCook, Little Guy said he wouldn't mind living in California!

Cubbie was feeling left out of the pictures, so below is one I took a couple minutes ago. It isn't the best picture in the world, but it is the only really recent one I have of him. His eyes are really a pretty brown, but they always show green, red, or yellow in his indoor pictures! He is worn out after playing tug-of-war with Little Guy (whose name might change to Stanley--because of his resemblance to Stan Laurel--if we get to keep him). If I can sneak one of him the way he is sleeping now, I will.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubbie 01-23-08 001.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	3358  
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Cute!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks! Cubbie is a good boy! He is great company while my husband is in school during the week. And he is a great traveler, so he gets to go with us pretty often.

Barbara
Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #30
Head Chef

While this thread seems to be going to the dogs , I might as well tell you the upcoming news about a clinic where you can get dogs/cats spayed/neuter at a reduced fee.

They have mobile units and one of the companies sponsoring them and giving them parking space is Hooter's Restaurants.

(for those who need to give their animal immunizations for things like parvo, you can buy the serum at a farm store or feed house for about $4. It comes with a syringe and needle and has to be injected. Most nurse friends will do it for you...it's not hard to learn)

Back to you Barbara L .........You're dogs are so cute!