"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The Continuing Saga of the Neighborhood Dogs

I have already told you about the boxer pup who makes himself at home in our house whenever he gets the chance. I also mentioned the other two dogs. They are brothers--I call them Big Guy and Little Guy. I told James that I would love to have Little Guy (I'd love them both, but we barely have room for us and Cubbie, let alone even one more dog).

Anyway, early this afternoon I took Cubbie out to go potty and to get some air. We noticed Little Guy sleeping by the area where Cubbie is sometimes tied out. He rolled over on his back when we got near. I noticed that he had a bad gash under his leg, right where his leg joins his body. It is pretty bad--I could see muscle. I went over and told his owner about it. He said (or at least implied--I can't remember) that he would take care of it. Not long after that a friend came by and he left. He told me that his niece is supposed to take him, but she still hasn't.

A little while ago I decided that I needed to do something. Both Big Guy and Little Guy were over at our neighbors' house lying near their dogs. When they saw me they came to see me, Little Guy limping. I picked him up (he's pretty heavy for a "Little Guy!" lol) and brought him in the house. I put him in James's chair, where I hoped he would settle in, and planned to clean his wound and put something on it. His tail never stopped wagging! He stayed in the chair while I took a few pictures of him, and while Cubbie ministered to his wound a little. Then I turned the TV back on (I had paused it while I was out getting him). It scared him to death and he jumped out of the chair! I don't think he has ever been in a house before.

Cubbie licked his wounds a little more, and then the nut (remember Cubbie is young--a year and a month) tried to mount Little Guy. Two problems here Cubbie! Little Guy is a boy, and Little Guy's head isn't exactly the right end! Sheesh!

Everyone has settled in now--Cubbie is asleep in James's chair, and Little Guy is asleep on the floor near him. I'm going to wait until he is rested and more used to being in here to look at his wound.

You would love Little Guy. He is so timid and sweet--he has kind of a Stan Laurel-ish quality about him.

I honestly don't know if I will be able to leave him in the house once he wakes up and gets all peppy, since he may end up chewing stuff. We lost a lot of stuff when we got Cubbie and he went through that stage. But I will see how it goes.

Barbara

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Guy 01-22-08 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	3351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Guy 01-22-08 002.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3352  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Guy 01-22-08 003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	3353  

Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'd have a REAL hard time not turning these people in with their dog hurt and them doing NOTHING to take care of it.

What a sweet thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Sous Chef

What a cutie!!!!!! You're great for doing what you can for the little guy. It's a pitty that your neighbor (not saying he's a totally bad person, I don't know him) will not attend to his wound. I'd be at the ER vet if Aspen or Cricket had a gash anywhere on them, especially showing muscle. I wonder what happenned to him? Hope everything turns out ok.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Awww, he's adorable! And I'm thinking he may have found a new home. (You gonna pick out James's new chair this weekend?)
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

He is a darling dog.

I'd have grave difficulty with this myself. I don't understand why people have dogs if they don't take care of them.

I get so sad when I see a dog tied up in a backyard.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

James doesn't want to start anything with the neighbors, since we live in a small quiet neighborhood and for the most part there are no problems. James doesn't know about Little Guy's leg yet. I really don't understand how people could just let innocent little animals wander around on their own all the time. Puppies need love too.

Barbara
Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by poached_pear View Post
He is a darling dog.

I'd have grave difficulty with this myself. I don't understand why people have dogs if they don't take care of them.

I get so sad when I see a dog tied up in their backyard.
We do have to tie our dog out when we go somewhere (unless we are able to take him with us), and sometimes I put him on his cable for some air and so he can play with the dogs, but he is indoors more than out. We are hoping to be able to get a fence someday.

Barbara
Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Awww, he's adorable! And I'm thinking he may have found a new home. (You gonna pick out James's new chair this weekend?)
LOL James is a little sore about that subject right now! He said his chair smells like dogs! He does love them though.

Barbara
Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
What a cutie!!!!!! You're great for doing what you can for the little guy. It's a pitty that your neighbor (not saying he's a totally bad person, I don't know him) will not attend to his wound. I'd be at the ER vet if Aspen or Cricket had a gash anywhere on them, especially showing muscle. I wonder what happenned to him? Hope everything turns out ok.
I can't honestly say that his owner wouldn't do something for him later, but I am like you. I would have done something right then. He seems like a nice guy--some people just shouldn't have pets.

Barbara
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Oh, that was a gross generalization and I'm sorry.

Everyday I pass by a dog that is tied to his dog house with a 5' tether. That is the treatment (or lack thereof) that gets my heart in knots.