"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Head Chef

The Corps of Discovery

The expedition of Lewis and Clark. WAIT! HEAR ME OUT!

Throughout my education about American History, I thought Lewis and Clark were "also-rans"... you know... relatively minor players in our history. I grew up near a stopping point on their journey and many local places and things were named after them. Big Deal. Lewis and freaking Clark, huh? Whatever.

Listen. For those of you with any interest in American History (or who would like to see it come alive for their children), I want you to consider purchasing the PBS Home Video/DVD called "Lewis & Clark - The Journey of the Corps of Discovery".

The docu-drama is beautifully filmed, compelling and, in many places, actually jaw-dropping. How this group could have survived the journey with the loss of only one member (to a disease nobody at the time could have cured anyway) is nothing short of astounding. The drama and the friendships with the Native Americans they encountered was fascinating. The relationship with and the role of the only black man (a slave) on the trip was very interesting...

I wish they could actually TEACH American History this way in schools. I might have actually enjoyed it.

Please. If you're wondering about something you could purchase for your family that would stimulate discussions and enrich everyone's understanding of our past, look into this.

For those who didn't know, this is the 200th Anniversary of the Corps of Discovery. You may have seen the commemorative nickels now in circulation to celebrate the bicentennary.

Lewis and Clark. Big deal? Yes... Yes they were.

Z

Old 08-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Z-- get the book by Stephen Ambrose. Even cooler!

I totally agree with you. These dudes were the astronauts of their day.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Head Chef

Maybe I will read. Thanks. I am a 'visual' learner, and enjoy a compelling and beautifully filmed documentary.

This made the whole event come alive for me. I was very pleasantly surprised by the whole production.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Z, sounds like something my family will really enjoy..Time to get my grandson started in the joys and pride of knowing his country.

kadesma
Old 08-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Thanks Z, sounds like something my family will really enjoy..Time to get my grandson started in the joys and pride of knowing his country.
It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. For me it was chilling. If I can get ONE person as excited about this as I was, I have done something.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
Contest Winner

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
Maybe I will read. Thanks. I am a 'visual' learner, and enjoy a compelling and beautifully filmed documentary.

This made the whole event come alive for me. I was very pleasantly surprised by the whole production.

That scares me Z, I learn the same way, Many things about us are the same. Ok it doesn't really scare me, and I agree Lewis and Clark were cool dudes. So was the Indian Princess that helped them. She has her own dollar coin.

Coins and Stamps are Hobbies that help teach children by them wanting to know more about the people on them. These are great hobbies for parents and teachers to inspire kids to learn. And right now would be a great time to help them on the fifty states!

I had speech problems, mild dyslexia, and ADHD as a child but so did Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, and others. I just had to have a Mother would worked with me, and a Father who would teach me mechanics. I learn quickly but in a different way that most. Best thing is I am Happy with who I am. However I need to change some things to be "SUPER MAIDRITE"!