"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Suzi, they are CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
I've been reading up on sewing books so I can very soon tackle that sewing machine of mine! Then maybe soon I will have something to share!

Great job by the way! So cute, you could prob start selling those! Please share pics everyone, This is so interesting to see the talent here!
Good for you, Deelady! You can do it! I taught myself from books, too. But remember - sewing machine repair people and folks who work at stores that sell machines can be your best friends! Usually, people who sew or repair sewing machine are the salt of the earth. Most of them are happy to help you with setting that zipper or that pattern instruction that just seems crazy or when you can't seem to stop your machine from making a big, ugly knot of thread every time you try to sew a seam. Also, there a quite a few of us here at DC that sew so if you need any help or have questions, just ask!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Thank you fisher's mom, I'm sure I will be doing just that! I hope you don't regret that offer in the future!
There is a nearby quilting store that offers tons of classes and they have a great beginners one for 3wks for 45 bucks.....but I would have to figure out care for my DD. At least its nice to know I have an option!
I already have two boxes full of quilting squares and misc material....I just have to figure out how to make them stick together to form a quilt!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
OOOOOO I want to quilt!!!!
That's next.
I'll post some of my cross-stitch later..
Old 10-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I will post some pictures when I get home (we are out of town until Wednesday). Actually I posted pictures of some of the monkey neck-pillows I made last year, so you can check my photos for them. I will post other pictures as I make things.

I love the ones you posted Suzi!

Barbara
Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
Thank you fisher's mom, I'm sure I will be doing just that! I hope you don't regret that offer in the future!
There is a nearby quilting store that offers tons of classes and they have a great beginners one for 3wks for 45 bucks.....but I would have to figure out care for my DD. At least its nice to know I have an option!
I already have two boxes full of quilting squares and misc material....I just have to figure out how to make them stick together to form a quilt!
That's exactly why I had to teach myself - no one to watch my kids! I just went to my first specialized sewing class a couple of years ago and it was wonderful! So if you get the chance to take a class, jump on it. But in the mean time, feel free to PM me if you need any help. You will have so much fun sewing for a little girl!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I already hve a million projects in my head I want to do!
My long term goal is to be able to sell them one day at craft fairs! uhhh but I think I have a ways to go! lol

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

deelady, my mother taught me to sew when I was 12 and crochet when I was 10, my grandmother taught me needlework when I was about 7. My hands don't allow for me to do as much these days, but a friend gave me an ergonomic crochet hook to get my current projects done!

I agree with the advice Fisher's Mom gave you about sewing and if you ever need some coaching, let me know. It is really not difficult. Soon you will find yourself making all sorts of wonderful things!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

fifteen years ago i taught myself to sew. i have enjoyed it so much and made lots of useful and pretty things.

taught myself to knit about the sames time, with a video of lessons. i enjoy it but don't do it as much as regular sewing. need faster results that knitting affords.

quilting was learned from several books. i love it, but it is an expensive craft.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
Master Chef

I used to do those things, and always looked forward to retirement, when I would have time to spend on all the creative projects I'd dreamed up over the years.
Unfortunately, fate had other plans for me. But I've rolled with the changes, and all is well.