The Crafting Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She has been told that she should sell it by friends and family, and has considered it. But, she enjoys it so much , that she doesnt want to turn a hobby in to a job with deadlines, complaining people and all that fun stuff. So for now, its a hobby to make things for us, and baby gifts for others. Our family is rather large, so there is always a baby that needs a gift here. I love hearing her curse when she misses a stitch and has to pull out a whole row, but shhhhhh, dont tell her.

she could always make a bunch and put them at a flea market or something. She can always tell people that does not make to order and that she sells as she makes them.

I remembered!!!!

Ok, here are the sweaters I've made for legogirl..... the maroon one is hard to see but I love it, its got big chunky cables in it..... too bad it only fit her a couple months. :( I think I may make one for myself when I can afford to do it with the yarn I want.

There's also a doily I made and a bunch of snowflakes... those are all thread crochet. They'll look better starched and stiffened but I haven't got around to it yet.

I've threatened DH with plastering the house with doilies because they're so pretty.... but I've been threatened with divorce..... :ohmy:

Attachments

• IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 157
Well I really went gangbusters on those, plus I wasn't working at the time, so really just a few weeks....
I'm afraid to start another at this point because life got so much crazier now that I'm back to work., but I really want to!!!!

Well make something that doesnt have a time limit (something that can't be outgrown) that way you can just work a little at a time....Im sure with the new job you will need something to unwind your brain before bed with after a long hard day!!

LOL, going to work is how I unwind from this zoo I call home!!!!!
:)

Well this is the only project that I have actually finished:rolleyes: I have ALOT of counted cross-stitch pieces that are all "in progress":ermm::LOL:
Hmmm guess I should have taken in out of the frame before I took the pic!!

Well this is the only project that I have actually finished:rolleyes: I have ALOT of counted cross-stitch pieces that are all "in progress":ermm::LOL:

Very cute!! and I'm glad you left the frame, gives it a finished look and you can totally envision it hanging in your little ones bedroom! :):)

sewing is really a craft to me, like solving a puzzle. am trying to make a simple butchers apron for granddaughter. it has self binding. supposed to be cut on the bias. have having a really bad time with it. i know i got fabric it called for but it just doesn't want to fit on the bias. may have to cut pattern in half , allow for 1/4 seam and sew them together. or buy ready made. don't really want to do that, very expensive for this simple project. what would happen if i didn't cut on the bias. i know it wouldn't be as flexible but may be necessary. help help please

sewing is really a craft to me, like solving a puzzle. am trying to make a simple butchers apron for granddaughter. it has self binding. supposed to be cut on the bias. have having a really bad time with it. i know i got fabric it called for but it just doesn't want to fit on the bias. may have to cut pattern in half , allow for 1/4 seam and sew them together. or buy ready made. don't really want to do that, very expensive for this simple project. what would happen if i didn't cut on the bias. i know it wouldn't be as flexible but may be necessary. help help please
It's the apron part that is supposed to be cut on the bias? Maybe your fabric wasn't as wide as necessary. You could definitely cut it on the straight grain and it would still work - just wouldn't be as "form fitting" around the waist when it's tied. You could also cut the pattern in half and do the seam, as you mentioned. It could even give it a little interest with the seam. If you do that, I would advise either a french seam or a flat-felled seam because standard seams in fabric cut on the bias can stretch out of shape and get "ravelly". HTH

It's the apron part that is supposed to be cut on the bias? Maybe your fabric wasn't as wide as necessary. You could definitely cut it on the straight grain and it would still work - just wouldn't be as "form fitting" around the waist when it's tied. You could also cut the pattern in half and do the seam, as you mentioned. It could even give it a little interest with the seam. If you do that, I would advise either a french seam or a flat-felled seam because standard seams in fabric cut on the bias can stretch out of shape and get "ravelly". HTH

sorry, didn't see your post til now. i am just going to cut it anyway i can. you are so right on types of seams. once made a huge tablecloth in french seams. looked great but a lot of work. i am determined to get this done before monday.

still have a quilt to do for great granddaughter's first birthday. no problems there as i have done tons of em. always fun. so thanks for the help;)

sorry didn't answer your questions. no it is the self binding that is supposed to cut on bias.
ps. decided to buy bias tape after all. labor intense on doing it from fabric, even if i could cut on bias, which i can't.

sorry, didn't see your post til now. i am just going to cut it anyway i can. you are so right on types of seams. once made a huge tablecloth in french seams. looked great but a lot of work. i am determined to get this done before monday.

still have a quilt to do for great granddaughter's first birthday. no problems there as i have done tons of em. always fun. so thanks for the help;)

sorry didn't answer your questions. no it is the self binding that is supposed to cut on bias.
ps. decided to buy bias tape after all. labor intense on doing it from fabric, even if i could cut on bias, which i can't.
No problem, Babe. I love reading about all of your projects - so many different ones. I love making quilts and blankets for little ones. Such a happy project. But I usually machine quilt them. I'm so slow at hand quilting that I save it for quilts I intend to keep forever!:)

Kathe, That's great!!!!!!!:):cool:;):);)

Suzi and Kathe... awesome work! My mom crossed stitched.... and was good at it. I for what ever reason got the sewing gene. I'm more of a Home Depot type girl, give me a drill and I'm good to go.

The only thing I have used a needle and thread for lately is stringing up cayenne peppers!

No problem, Babe. I love reading about all of your projects - so many different ones. I love making quilts and blankets for little ones. Such a happy project. But I usually machine quilt them. I'm so slow at hand quilting that I save it for quilts I intend to keep forever!:)

for these i use yarn and tie them. goes a lot faster. the kids don't know the difference and it keeps batting from shifting just great.

did i tell you handyman is putting bead board in my hall bathroom? i am excited. hope there is enough material to do the other one. it is very small. i think em up and he makes em happen. :LOL:

for these i use yarn and tie them. goes a lot faster. the kids don't know the difference and it keeps batting from shifting just great.

did i tell you handyman is putting bead board in my hall bathroom? i am excited. hope there is enough material to do the other one. it is very small. i think em up and he makes em happen. :LOL:
You know, now that you posted this, I remember my Grandmother tying quilts with yarn. They were so pretty and I remember being fascinated as a child at all the different colors of yarn she used. Thanks for reminding me about this. (Now I'm mentally going through my sewing stash thinking about making a yarn-tied quilt.)

Oh, let us know how the bead board comes out. I think it's so, so, so pretty, especially when you install it like wainscotting. I tried putting it in the small nursery once in this house but I discovered your walls really need to be square for that.:ohmy: This house is almost 90 years old and I'm pretty sure there aren't any square walls. So I settled for putting the bead board on just one wall and it looks great. (Oddly, all of the porches have bead board ceilings but there was none on the walls.) Oh, and I'm really envious of your handyman - even if he is a little difficult at times.

that is how he is doing the bead board. got it cut today and should go in tomorrow. yes, he is very talented but can sure be aggravating sometimes. we have been working together for three years on one project or another. like an old couple that have been together to long.

i do think the tied quilts are cute. i usually pick a color out of the quilt and get that color yarn

this one is all pinks and whites, so will use dark pink yarn.

after that i think i am done with projects til spring. tired of things being torn up and messy.

the end result is very good though. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom