"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-08-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm not in bed yet either It's Live. No wonder the parent is sleeping.

We once went to Decorah. For Pizza. Friends were over on a Friday night after work. Someone said, lets go out for pizza. Fr Hus said lets go to Decorah. (He had worked at a pizza place while in college there. "Best Pizza Ever". ) We were up for it, and hopped in the car and followed the scenic route along the Mississippi River, a short 3 1/2 hour drive. Ate Pizza, open til midnight.

We shared a motel room and went hiking along the Decorah bluffs the next day. The scenic route was better coming home during daytime. Now I wonder if we tromped along some eagle's hunting area.

Need to watch this during daytime, me thinks.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

Watching it now while I have my morning coffee.
One parent just came back, and the other one immediately flew away. Guess she needed to get out of the house for a while.

The one that came back brought lunch. It's hard to tell but looks like it may be a rabbit. It's pulling fur off of something and flinging it away. Lunchtime for the babies.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

Geeze, I'm hooked on this Cheryl. I keep the window minimized on my computer, leaving the sound on so I can do something else. When I hear the babies it's like a baby monitor and I can click to check on them. I'm amazed how they've grown in just 5 days! The people you see walking down on that path in the background have no idea what drama is going on in that tree. Fascinating.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
Executive Chef

O wow, their nest is really high. Nice to see this in daylight, my introduction was around 2 am and no one was moving and not much light. Now 2 babies were in front of the parent and were moving around. I book marked this so it's easy to open and then have it On and can bring it up when the sound changes. Neat neat, thanks for sharing this site!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #15
Master Chef

You're welcome, Whisk. Like Kay said, be prepared to be hooked...! I also have the link open in another window when I'm on the computer, so I can check on them.

A year or two ago I was following the Channel Islands, CA eagle cam. It's more remote and there isn't as much shade. It was amazing to see the parents lay there with their massive wings spread to shade the babies from the hot California sun.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The Decorah, Iowa eaglets hatched

Drat, Cheryl, now I gotta go check on them again!

Shhh, they're sleeping now.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Tacoma, I was fortunate enough to live close enough to Nisqually Valley. There are hundreds of Bald Eagles there year round. One day I was out hanging up laundry. I just happened to look up and there were two of them doing some sort of aerial dance. It looked like it might be a mating dance. I forgot about the laundry and laid down of the grass and just watched them. Then there is a place on the way up to Mt. Ranier where there is a forest of dead trees from fire or disease. The Bald Eagles have claimed it as their place to just rest. I was surprised that the dead branches could hold their weight.

To see these magnificent birds up so close takes your breath away. If you go there on the weekend, you don't have the time to just stop and admire them. Too many cars behind you. But go in the morning hours on the week and that is what we always did. Sometimes the sight of them would just bring tears to my eyes. How can you not feel some of the American Pride when you see them and are glad they are such a strong symbol of our country.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'm guessing that you lived there a very long time ago Addie. In 1963 there were only 417 nesting pairs in all of the entire lower 48 states.

Bald Eagle Recovery Questions and Answers

Old 04-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

Interesting article - thanks, Kay. Wow....the magnificent eagle population sure had a close call there for a while. So glad their numbers have increased as much as they have.

The eaglets sure are growing fast! I just checked in on them - looks like a really windy day there today.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #20
Master Chef

WOW we thought our kids grew fast! I haven't checked on them for about a week.

I'm wondering if other people in the world understand our great love and devotion to our national symbol? I'm sure glad my Uncle Ben (Franklin) didn't get his way with his nomination of the turkey.