The Decorah, Iowa eaglets hatched

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A number of years back a few nesting pair of Eagles were transferred to the Quabbin Reservoir area. Over the years they have increased way more than two fold. The original eaglets from those original ones are now raising babies of their own. The Eagles out there are still under protection and one day they found one of the adults with an arrow through it. I never did hear if they ever caught the culprit. If they ever do, there is a special place on their bodies that I would love to shoot an arrow. :angel:

Oh those kids getting anxious to leave the nest! I bet Mom and Dad will be booking a vacation as soon as the kids are gone. It will be a little sad to have the empty nest, just like all parents. I've really loved the journey with this family, and thanks Cheryl for sharing the ride.

Oh those kids getting anxious to leave the nest! I bet Mom and Dad will be booking a vacation as soon as the kids are gone. It will be a little sad to have the empty nest, just like all parents. I've really loved the journey with this family, and thanks Cheryl for sharing the ride.

:LOL:

You're welcome, Kay. :)

I read that the eaglets often come home for dinner after they leave the nest, until they are proficient in catching their own meals. Typical kids! :ROFLMAO:

I was just watching the birds again. A parent (mother I assume) landed with a small fish in her beak. Baby #1 got right in there and what mom wasn't keeping for herself, #1 got most of it. Then bird #2 decided to get a bite or two. #3 just stood off on the edge of the nest watching it all and while doing do was raising a stink. Mom finished off the fish herself. But not before #2 got his share. #3 played cleanup looking for scraps. Mom took off again. Going for more food I would assume or just to get away from all that squealing. That's the most action I have ever seen. :angel:

I still go back to see if there is any activity. One night late, I saw one of them in the nest. It seems that there is also a family of squirrels living in the same tree and during the day when no one is home, they clean up the next for them. Nice neighbors to have. :angel:

Recently I checked the site and the camera was on, snow in the nest, and squirrel tracks in the snow. The breeding sessions should start soon but not sure how long it takes to lay fresh eggs. I'll have to check it out.

Yup, the nest looks ready.

I grew up 20 miles from Decorah so this is always fun for me.

Last edited:
There's an eagle cam of several years' standing down here in SW FL, watching Harriet, whose mate Ozzie passed away last year, and her new mate start their family. There were two eaglets hatched recently. One of them got his foot tangled in some line that apparently came into the nest with/on a fish. I was happy to see on today's local news that the little guy has gotten 'fixed' and will go back to the nest now.

Thanks so much for the link Dawg. A number of years ago the Federal Wildlife folks (or whatever they are called) started a program to bring Bald Eagles back to Massachusetts out by Quabbin Reservoir. The first ones were youngsters that had left the nest and were set up on heavy duty platforms that they built their nests on.

A week or so ago, there were about 15 people at Jamaica Pond (about a two hour or more drive at least from the Quabbin Reservoir) and they looked up and were shocked to see two adult Bald Eagles flying low right over their heads. They both had twigs in their mouths for building their nests. From none to more than 500 pairs of nesting Bald Eagles now make Massachusetts their home. The program out at Quabbin is still in progress. Sometimes they find an abandoned nest with eggs in them and will take the eggs and hope it is not too late. Or if they see one of the eaglets is not getting their fair share of the food they will rescue it to the teen years and then let them fend for themselves.

I hope all of you get to see these magnificent birds flying right over your heads. It is quite a sight! :angel:

I LOVE watching these beautiful birds raise their families!

The Decorah parents are both at the nest now, doing a little housekeeping. ;) Thanks for the link to the SW Florida cam, Dawg. Those little eaglets are so cute!

Looks like I'll be watching 3 cams this season - Iowa, Florida, and the one on Catalina Island in California. :LOL::cool:

The Two Harbors Eagle Cam on Catalina Island isn't very good quality right now - not sure if it's the way the sun is shining on it, or a tech problem.
http://www.ustream.tv/two-harbors-cam

Last edited:
I LOVE watching these beautiful birds raise their families!

The Decorah parents are both at the nest now, doing a little housekeeping. ;) Thanks for the link to the SW Florida cam, Dawg. Those little eaglets are so cute!

Looks like I'll be watching 3 cams this season - Iowa, Florida, and the one on Catalina Island in California. :LOL::cool:

The Two Harbors Eagle Cam on Catalina Island isn't very good quality right now - not sure if it's the way the sun is shining on it, or a tech problem.
Two Harbors Eagles, Ustream.TV: A live view of the Two Harbors Bald Eagle nest on Santa Catalina Island, California.The nest is active from February throug...

I read the complete update. It appears that the male succumbed to natural injuries that he twice received. So now the female is taking care of her babies on her own. Hopefully next year she will have found a new mate. She is such a good mother. :angel:

I've been hooked on the SW Florida eagle cam and have been checking in several times a day to see how they're doing. The chicks are getting big and look so healthy - mom and dad are great parents. It's hard to see the bigger chick pecking the heck out of the littler one, though - that's when I have to sign off. :neutral:

I've been hooked on the SW Florida eagle cam and have been checking in several times a day to see how they're doing. The chicks are getting big and look so healthy - mom and dad are great parents. It's hard to see the bigger chick pecking the heck out of the littler one, though - that's when I have to sign off. :neutral:

And that's is why a lot of wild life have more than one. So that there will always be a surviving one. Some of the young will push the weakling one right out of the nest. I have always wanted for Mother Nature to provide a way for the parents to be able to pick up the one on the ground and get it back to the nest. Wishful thinking on my part. :angel:

Last edited:
Yep, I've been watching the Catalina Island nest in California too, Kay. It is a beautiful view! I also check in on the Decorah, Iowa eagles nest daily (there's snow on the nest now), and the SW Florida eagles. The Florida one is especially fun to watch right now because the eaglets are getting so big.

Here's all three in one place again for anyone who's interested.

WATCH: Decorah Eagles’ Nest Cam | whotv.com (Iowa)

Eagle Cam - Live Feed (Florida)

http://www.ustream.tv/west-end-cam (California)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom