"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

A number of years back a few nesting pair of Eagles were transferred to the Quabbin Reservoir area. Over the years they have increased way more than two fold. The original eaglets from those original ones are now raising babies of their own. The Eagles out there are still under protection and one day they found one of the adults with an arrow through it. I never did hear if they ever caught the culprit. If they ever do, there is a special place on their bodies that I would love to shoot an arrow.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Master Chef

They're getting so big!!

I've been checking in a few times a day for the past few days - they're flapping their wings, and lifting off a few inches from the nest. Won't be long now!

Looks like it's raining pretty good there right now.

Here's the link again:
http://whotv.com/2012/03/05/decorah-eagle-nest-cam/

Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #23
Master Chef

Oh those kids getting anxious to leave the nest! I bet Mom and Dad will be booking a vacation as soon as the kids are gone. It will be a little sad to have the empty nest, just like all parents. I've really loved the journey with this family, and thanks Cheryl for sharing the ride.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh those kids getting anxious to leave the nest! I bet Mom and Dad will be booking a vacation as soon as the kids are gone. It will be a little sad to have the empty nest, just like all parents. I've really loved the journey with this family, and thanks Cheryl for sharing the ride.

You're welcome, Kay.

I read that the eaglets often come home for dinner after they leave the nest, until they are proficient in catching their own meals. Typical kids!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I was just watching the birds again. A parent (mother I assume) landed with a small fish in her beak. Baby #1 got right in there and what mom wasn't keeping for herself, #1 got most of it. Then bird #2 decided to get a bite or two. #3 just stood off on the edge of the nest watching it all and while doing do was raising a stink. Mom finished off the fish herself. But not before #2 got his share. #3 played cleanup looking for scraps. Mom took off again. Going for more food I would assume or just to get away from all that squealing. That's the most action I have ever seen.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #26
Master Chef

Checked in on our eagle friends, they've left the nest but are still sticking together close to home. Awesome pics. The camera operator is playing with the zoom features - I just saw the 3 eagles separately for their close up photo op.

WATCH: Decorah Eagles’ Nest Cam | whotv.com
Old 11-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I still go back to see if there is any activity. One night late, I saw one of them in the nest. It seems that there is also a family of squirrels living in the same tree and during the day when no one is home, they clean up the next for them. Nice neighbors to have.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Recently I checked the site and the camera was on, snow in the nest, and squirrel tracks in the snow. The breeding sessions should start soon but not sure how long it takes to lay fresh eggs. I'll have to check it out.

Yup, the nest looks ready.

I grew up 20 miles from Decorah so this is always fun for me.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #29
Head Chef

There's an eagle cam of several years' standing down here in SW FL, watching Harriet, whose mate Ozzie passed away last year, and her new mate start their family. There were two eaglets hatched recently. One of them got his foot tangled in some line that apparently came into the nest with/on a fish. I was happy to see on today's local news that the little guy has gotten 'fixed' and will go back to the nest now.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #30
Master Chef

Oh goodie.....yep the nest looks ready. Can't wait!

Lizzy I'd love to take a look at yours! Do you have a link for us?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote