The die-hard sports fans out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Recipes Make Magic

Senior Cook
I've been one ever since I can remember.

I hope those of you reading this can put up with a retired guy with lots of time on his hands, and who seems to have a recent compulsion to post new threads in this Off Topic Discussions section of DC.

I've lived in Canada most of my years but besides the Canadian Football League (CFL) I've been enamored with American sports leagues and teams since I was in my late teens - example:

When HOF coach Bud Grant left as coach of the Winnipeg (where I was born & raised) Blue Bombers in 1966 to become head coach of the Minny Vikings, I became hooked on the NFL !
I'm proud to say I've watched almost all of the 'Super Bowl' games since it's origin in 1967.

I've had many favorite teams since then, including the lacklustre 'first time around' L.A. Rams when I lived in L.A. in the mid-eighties.

Now of course it's the Seattle 'Hawks, in whom I have a strong belief that Russ Wilson can take to the Super Bowl one more time this year.:LOL:

On other fronts I've been an MLB Toronto Blue Jays fan ever since their birth in 1977. They're a pretty sad team this year while rebuilding, but watch out for them 1n 2021 !

In recent years though, I couldn't help but watch each & every game the Toronto NBA Raptors played. What a canadian thrill it was to win the NBA championship title with Kawhi Leonard. Alas, now the Clippers will win with him.

Of course, the NHL Vancouver Canucks have long been my team. They may even have a chance to make the play-offs this year.

CFL - B.C. Lions are a real bad bust this year - can't even bear to watch them.

Anyone have any comments for this thread ?
Love to hear your thoughts.

I live in eastern Massachusetts so I am a Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins fan in that order.

Since the beginning of this new millennium, Boston teams have shown significant success. This can be said to be the Golden Era of Boston professional sports.

The NE Patriots are by far the most consistent winners with the Red Sox close behind. The Celtics and Bruins have won championships too and have done fairly well in other years.

Yes, all of the Boston/New England teams have done extremely well over many past years.

I've envied while also hating the Red Sox for constantly beating up on the Jays, (except for the past 2 days !), the Bruins for frequently embarrassing the Leafs or Canadians, or the Celtics for overpowering the Raptors. And what can you say about Brady, Belichek (spelling ?), and the Patriots - they're just awesome - making history!

I see though that the Red Sox are currently off their game a bit - and I can't wait to see who they get to replace Dave Dumbrowski - Billy Beane, maybe ?

Last edited:
They tried for BB years ago and he said no. I think it will be some homegrown talent this time.

They tried for BB years ago and he said no. I think it will be some homegrown talent this time.

Yes, I was aware of that Andy.
And he turned down a ton of money at that time - more than would have ever been paid to a MLB GM up to that time- - hard to understand his saying no then.

He's still doing quite well with the A's in Oakland, still with one of the smallest payrolls in MLB.

Along with a good number of others, I think BB would be as good an addition to the Sox now as he would have been the first time around.

But I think you're right - they'll look elsewhere.

I live in Dallas, but I am not a Cowboys fan. I grew up a Steelers fan, and it's in my blood.

As for other sports, I am a Texas Rangers fan, but the Pirates are my back up team. Same with the Dallas Stars (NHL), and the Penguins. In the NBA, it's Mavericks all the way.

College, my alma mater is UNT -- a good school, but not a sports powerhouse. My backup school is TCU, where my sister went. I went to a lot of their football games with her sorority sisters as dates. :)

My absolute favorite sport is endurance racing. The 24 Hours of LeMans is my favorite race. Well, not as much now that Audi has stepped away from endurance racing as a factory team.

I also like WRC (World Rally Championship) racing. Those guys are fearless. If you aren't familiar, watch this video of the legendary Sebastien Loeb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDiZIEhB-c

CD

I live in Dallas, but I am not a Cowboys fan. I grew up a Steelers fan, and it's in my blood.

As for other sports, I am a Texas Rangers fan, but the Pirates are my back up team. Same with the Dallas Stars (NHL), and the Penguins. In the NBA, it's Mavericks all the way.

College, my alma mater is UNT -- a good school, but not a sports powerhouse. My backup school is TCU, where my sister went. I went to a lot of their football games with her sorority sisters as dates. :)

My absolute favorite sport is endurance racing. The 24 Hours of LeMans is my favorite race. Well, not as much now that Audi has stepped away from endurance racing as a factory team.

I also like WRC (World Rally Championship) racing. Those guys are fearless. If you aren't familiar, watch this video of the legendary Sebastien Loeb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDiZIEhB-c

CD

Have you ever been to a Cowboys game when the Steelers were in town as the opponent ?
If that happened, as a Steelers fan, I'm sure you wouldn't have been very comfortable with all the screaming Cowboys fans all around you.

I got that feeling in the L.A. Coliseum when the Steelers were in town to play the then L.A. Rams (1984) and it was pretty scary.
There must have been a couple of hundred L.A. policemen at that game, all with their night sticks in their hands, and there were a lot of fans placed in handcuffs. I was scared and left the game long before it was over.

But all other NFL games I went to (mostly in Seattle) were pretty tame & a lot of fun !

Have you ever been to a Cowboys game when the Steelers were in town as the opponent ?
If that happened, as a Steelers fan, I'm sure you wouldn't have been very comfortable with all the screaming Cowboys fans all around you.

I got that feeling in the L.A. Coliseum when the Steelers were in town to play the then L.A. Rams (1984) and it was pretty scary.
There must have been a couple of hundred L.A. policemen at that game, all with their night sticks in their hands, and there were a lot of fans placed in handcuffs. I was scared and left the game long before it was over.

But all other NFL games I went to (mostly in Seattle) were pretty tame & a lot of fun !

Yes, once. I wore my Steelers colors to a Cowboys/Steelers game here. No issues. There were a lot of Steelers fans there. Die-hard Steelers fans travel. I didn't see any fights -- some good natured ribbing.

There is a great Steelers bar in North Dallas. You have to get there very early on game day, or you can't get it.

I don't know if I would wear my Steelers colors in every NFL city. I'd be nervous in Baltimore or Boston about getting stabbed. But, here in Dallas, people are cool about it.

CD

Last edited:
Heck, RMM, those Steelers fans can be a mighty rowdy bunch! :LOL: (Love ya, CD. ;) )

I'm a born-and-bred Cleveland Indians fan. My Momma taught me all about the game and the team when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I've been following them ever since, through thick and thin...and there was a LOT of "thin" until the 1990s. Still waiting for a World Series win before I die - they had better hurry up!

I followed basketball when our daughter was in school, since that is her favorite sport. We lived and died during both bouts of LeBron stints. At least the Cavaliers won a championship. Still wish it was my Indians.

We had been avid Browns fans through the 1980s and '90s. Then, when the team moved to Baltimore in 1996, our son started to play varsity high school football. After three years of watching kids play the game hard just for the love of the sport (and not the $$$$$$), we never really went back to following the NFL. The Browns do look like they could be an interesting team this year, though. "Interesting" is totally up for interpretation, though. :LOL: Thankfully, Himself's college team, THE Ohio State University, has a decent football team that we follow. Religiously.

My Mom would take me to Cleveland Barons hockey games on occasion. I'm talking the old AHL franchise in the 1950s and '60s. She loved the sport just for the fights on the ice. :LOL: When Cleveland lost their hockey team, Mom lost interest.

One interesting point I want to bring up. Andy mentioned how successful his Boston teams have been since the early 2000s. We moved to MA in 2000. Coincidence? I don't know. Time to test my theory and take my "luck" back to OH? :brows:

Heck, RMM, those Steelers fans can be a mighty rowdy bunch! :LOL: (Love ya, CD. ;) )

I'm a born-and-bred Cleveland Indians fan. My Momma taught me all about the game and the team when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I've been following them ever since, through thick and thin...and there was a LOT of "thin" until the 1990s. Still waiting for a World Series win before I die - they had better hurry up!

I followed basketball when our daughter was in school, since that is her favorite sport. We lived and died during both bouts of LeBron stints. At least the Cavaliers won a championship. Still wish it was my Indians.

We had been avid Browns fans through the 1980s and '90s. Then, when the team moved to Baltimore in 1996, our son started to play varsity high school football. After three years of watching kids play the game hard just for the love of the sport (and not the $$$$$$), we never really went back to following the NFL. The Browns do look like they could be an interesting team this year, though. "Interesting" is totally up for interpretation, though. :LOL: Thankfully, Himself's college team, THE Ohio State University, has a decent football team that we follow. Religiously.

My Mom would take me to Cleveland Barons hockey games on occasion. I'm talking the old AHL franchise in the 1950s and '60s. She loved the sport just for the fights on the ice. :LOL: When Cleveland lost their hockey team, Mom lost interest.

One interesting point I want to bring up. Andy mentioned how successful his Boston teams have been since the early 2000s. We moved to MA in 2000. Coincidence? I don't know. Time to test my theory and take my "luck" back to OH? :brows:

Oh my, I didn't know you were an ohio state fan. :ermm:

CD :D

Last edited:

I think that Terry Francona is one of the best, if not the best, Manager in all of baseball these recent years. Never understood why Boston released him.

Wish he was the Jays Manager.
As you know, the former Cleveland Indians executive management team of Shapiro and Atkins are now at the helm of the Jays, and perhaps their past good work in Cleveland will eventually extend over into the Blue Jays' fortunes down the road.

My die hard sports fan days are behind me, I believe..

60's through 90's I was a huge fan of football and baseball.. The team depended on where I was living at a particular time.. 70's through recent times, I wouldn't miss a Nascar race.. Now I can take it or leave it..

These days I always look forward to Little League baseball and college softball.. I am not to be bothered when championships for any of those games are available on TV.. Kids with talent, having fun is what I now enjoy..

Ross

I think that Terry Francona is one of the best, if not the best, Manager in all of baseball these recent years. Never understood why Boston released him.

He was ok during his time. I think I like the current manager, Alex Cora, better.
It's the Beer, Chicken, and Video games episode that caused management to move on from Terry.

I watch all of the NE Patriots games and watch the occasional Red Sox games. I use to watch more but it's a big time sink. Celtics/Bruins, I only watch the occasional playoff game.

I rather be working outside or watching some TV shows or reading books than watching a 3 hour sports game with the exception of the Patriots. It's easier to watch football as there's only 16-20 games to watch.

I grew up a Giants (football) and Mets fan. When I moved to Boston, I switched teams because in the 90s, it wasn't easy to follow your hometown team. Today, it's a lot easier.

I'm a bit flustered today.
Something unusual, even for a Sunday.
Both the Toronto Blue Jays, and the Seattle Seahawks are being televised at the same time here today - 10:00 a.m. Pacific time -on different channels of course - and I don't have the picture inset within a picture facility on my TV.

Oh, what to watch - ? A dilemma !

I'm a bit flustered today.
Something unusual, even for a Sunday.
Both the Toronto Blue Jays, and the Seattle Seahawks are being televised at the same time here today - 10:00 a.m. Pacific time -on different channels of course - and I don't have the picture inset within a picture facility on my TV.

Oh, what to watch - ? A dilemma !

I have the same issue. Red Sox and Patriots are on at 1:00.

Record one game and watch the other. Then you can watch the recording and FF thru the ads and dead time.

Last edited:
I only re-discovered baseball in recent years. Also hockey, college and pro basketball. I think some weeks college football offers more excitement than pro ball, but overall I am a Vikings fan.

I have more time to watch sports since I retired. Now if there was a decent neighborhood café nearby or if barbershops were still a center for gossip, it would be good for next day commiserating and arm chair quarterbacking. For some reason coffee shops do not provide the requisite atmosphere.

I only re-discovered baseball in recent years. Also hockey, college and pro basketball. I think some weeks college football offers more excitement than pro ball, but overall I am a Vikings fan.

I have more time to watch sports since I retired. Now if there was a decent neighborhood café nearby or if barbershops were still a center for gossip, it would be good for next day commiserating and arm chair quarterbacking. For some reason coffee shops do not provide the requisite atmosphere.

You're right about coffee shops.

Hey, your Twins are doing extremely well this year - they should take the AL Central Div. title !

I think that Terry Francona is one of the best, if not the best, Manager in all of baseball these recent years. Never understood why Boston released him...
Living in MA, we had a lot of exposure to Terry Francona while he was the Red Sox manager. After they would show an interview or post-game presser with Tito, Himself would say "why can't we get a manager like that?" I was listening to a Cleveland radio station online when they announced that the Indians had just hired Francona. I went running through the house looking for my guy, saying "we got a manager like that, we got a manager like that!". :LOL:

He was ok during his time. I think I like the current manager, Alex Cora, better.
It's the Beer, Chicken, and Video games episode that caused management to move on from Terry...
The "chicken and beer" looked to me like a bunch of arrogant players who couldn't care less about what their manager wanted them to do. I'm amazed at how successful Tito was with managing all those giant egos that he had to control all through his tenure as Red Sox manager. FWIW, he's much happier being back in Cleveland. Yes "back". He first worked as an assistant for John Hart in 2001 after being fired as manager of the Phillies. At that time he became friends with Chris Antonetti, current president of the Indians. After being let go by the Red Sox, he went to ESPN to "lick his wounds" as he's put it. When Antonetti called and inquired about interviewing Tito for the Cleveland manager's job, Tito figured that if he didn't get the Indians job he would just return to ESPN. No other team manager job interested him simply because he fell in love with the Indians' front office and the way they dealt with their personnel with respect.

Back
Top Bottom