The Downton Abbey SPOILERS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Not surprised that there was such a serious pecking order in the staff - the mealtimes downstairs are so interesting...

Yes, it's interesting the way they all jump up out of their seats when another staff member walks in. And not always Carson or Hughes.

Something I just remembered...
Back when Mosely had that allergy rash on his hands he was instructed to wear gloves, to which he replied, "I'll look like a footman". Shortly after that Thomas and William were shown in the dining room and neither were wearing gloves, yet they were both footmen at the time. hmmm

Okay. I think I understand. Does this Christmas Special have a bearing on the plot of the whole show? And if it does, because I am on a very fixed income, should I seriously consider purchasing this Special? I have never been one to purchase the 'whole' series of any show. But there has been talk of 'GBH (our local PBS) showing the whole series of the original "Upstairs, Downstairs" again. I hope so. If they do I will record that one. I wish I had known how hooked I would get into this one. I would have started to record it from day one.

As you can see, I am sooooo hooked on this dang show. I just wish they had filmed at least half of the next season each time they show a season so we wouldn't have to wait so long in between. :)sad:) :angel:

Yes the Christmas special does have a large bearing on the plot. You might be a bit lost during the beginning of the next season if you were to miss it.

I'm sure that PBS will show the special at the end of the season, it wouldn't make any sense if they didn't, it would mess up the flow of the show.

I looked at the schedule of this seasons shows. The first episode was two hours long and the last one is on Jan 27th and is also two hours long. Hopefully that is the Christmas Special. UK was able to watch that last episode during Christmas. Hopefully that is the one they are talking about. :angel:

yeah, that makes sense. The christmas special was a 2 hour show.

Looks like they restructured the episodes a bit from the UK version. The UK version had 7-episodes and the 8th is the Christmas special. The UK shows were an average of 48 minutes each. Looks like they are making the 1 hour each for the US and making episode 6, 120 minutes. Then the Christmas special is 90 minutes.

In the UK there were 7 episodes and 1 Christmas special. The US version is treating them all like episodes with a total of 7.

I expect this is because PBS has to fill slots that are 1 hour, 1/2 hour, or 2 hour because they have no commercials on PBS.

The last episode airs on February 17th, not January 27th!

Last edited:
yeah, that makes sense. The christmas special was a 2 hour show.

Looks like they restructured the episodes a bit from the UK version. The UK version had 7-episodes and the 8th is the Christmas special. The UK shows were an average of 48 minutes each. Looks like they are making the 1 hour each for the US and making episode 6, 120 minutes. Then the Christmas special is 90 minutes.

In the UK there were 7 episodes and 1 Christmas special. The US version is treating them all like episodes with a total of 7.

I expect this is because PBS has to fill slots that are 1 hour, 1/2 hour, or 2 hour because they have no commercials on PBS.

The last episode airs on February 17th, not January 27th!

The schedule for our local channel WGBH doesn't show it that way. But then 'GBH does everything to their own liking. Our cable company took the one out of state for PBS away. So we are stuck with 'GBH and their whims. :angel:

The schedule for our local channel WGBH doesn't show it that way. But then 'GBH does everything to their own liking. Our cable company took the one out of state for PBS away. So we are stuck with 'GBH and their whims. :angel:

That is weird Addie! I checked out their website and it's gawd awful! What a slow unattractive thing it is! Makes me appreciate UNC TV, it's all I get because I have an antenna in the attic!

Yes, it's interesting the way they all jump up out of their seats when another staff member walks in. And not always Carson or Hughes.

Something I just remembered...
Back when Mosely had that allergy rash on his hands he was instructed to wear gloves, to which he replied, "I'll look like a footman". Shortly after that Thomas and William were shown in the dining room and neither were wearing gloves, yet they were both footmen at the time. hmmm

If there's a quiz at the end of the season, guess who's gonna win.

Yes the Christmas special does have a large bearing on the plot. You might be a bit lost during the beginning of the next season if you were to miss it.

I'm sure that PBS will show the special at the end of the season, it wouldn't make any sense if they didn't, it would mess up the flow of the show.

Well all this time I thought the elusive "Christmas Special" was at the end of season two that ended at Christmas with the proposal. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere if it's at the end of season three. :mad:

Last edited:
Kayelle, I watched season 2 Christmas special on hulu plus. It's a subscription service like netflix but the offer a 1 week free trial that I used and watched it that way. If you don't want the service, it's no biggie to go to their site and cancel. They didn't give me any grief when I did that. I believe the 2 Christmas shows are at the end of season 2 and season 3 so we here in the US haven't gotten to the season 3 one yet.

I simply thought the Christmas episode was just that, an episode. I didn't see anything special about it other than it was longer.

And on that note. One of my customer told me today that it snowed in England while she was there. Said everything pretty much shut down and they were predicting a "blizzard".

Yes most of England has had snow, nowhere shut down as far as I know , some disruption to transport . Blizzards here and there . Been out for some lovely snowy walks .

Re Downton, yes the Christmas specials are just longer episodes with a bit of extra drama chucked in !

Yes, the way Richard kept saying things were going to be different with his servants (over the holidays) was drama alright.

OK someone please help me with Bates in the episode last night. (Jan 20).

Why was his mail held up both ways? Bates planted whatever they found in his cell mates bed, but does anyone know what it was they found?

I just finished watching that episode.
Craig, Bates' cellmate, has it in for him. Craig also has something going on with one of the guards by the name Durrant. Something on the outside they said.
Craig planted something that looked the same (something in burlap) in Bates' bed a couple episodes ago, but Bate's buddy told him about the setup and Bates' hid it from the guards when they searched the cell. That ticked off Craig and Durrant, so they had bates declared dangerous for punching Craig and that's why his mail was witheld (outgoing and incoming) and that's also why he was not allowed visitors.

Bates turned the tables and planted the piece of burlap into Craig's bed. And Bates' buddy somehow made sure an honest guard performed the search and discovered it. And now Bates is back in good standing and getting his mail and stuff.

As to what it was... beats me. They haven't said. Drugs maybe? It might be one of those things that just happens without explaination because it really doesn't matter to the plot. It was simply something they weren't supposed to have.

Pretty cool on the fire prevention system in the castle, huh? Buckets hanging up with dirt in them. I didn't know they had anything.

I'm good with the names because I can read them. Otherwise I wouldn't know doo-doo ;)

I'm still trying to figure out Robert Crawley who is an earl, but also called the Lord of Grantham and resides in Downton Abbey :wacko:
Is Downton Abbey the castle and Grantham the village, or the other way around? Seems Crawley should be in there somewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom