"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
At the end of each season, before the next one, there is a longer show shown on Christmas day, they call it a "christmas special". Other series do this as well, Dr. Who for instance.

I use a proxy which makes my computer look like it is located in London. I can stream stuff that is only accessible from UK ip addresses.

Also you can download it, if that's your thing, it's probably not the right thing to do, but it is a show that is shown for free, so not really any different than recording it on a DVR
So where do I go without a UK ip addy to download that "Christmas Special"?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So where do I go without a UK ip addy to download that "Christmas Special"?
The shady underworld of bit torrent....

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Thanks for the information. That's perfectly clear.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the information. That's perfectly clear.
I just saw that on January 29th amazon will have the entire season, including the Christmas special available for purchase to download.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I just saw that on January 29th amazon will have the entire season, including the Christmas special available for purchase to download.
Been there bought it
They were nice enough to credit the three episodes I already purchased this season.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

Yes we had another Christmas special on Christmas Day in the UK .
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay. I think I understand. Does this Christmas Special have a bearing on the plot of the whole show? And if it does, because I am on a very fixed income, should I seriously consider purchasing this Special? I have never been one to purchase the 'whole' series of any show. But there has been talk of 'GBH (our local PBS) showing the whole series of the original "Upstairs, Downstairs" again. I hope so. If they do I will record that one. I wish I had known how hooked I would get into this one. I would have started to record it from day one.

As you can see, I am sooooo hooked on this dang show. I just wish they had filmed at least half of the next season each time they show a season so we wouldn't have to wait so long in between. ()
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
... I will record that one. I wish I had known how hooked I would get into this one. I would have started to record it from day one.
I recorded the O.J.Simpson trial way back when, but I've never wanted to look at that travesty again.

I think the Lady Mary scandal will rear its ugly head again, whether it's brought about by Richard or forced out of a 'friendly' on the staff. I wonder if that sequence was drawn from actual happenings by Fellowes.

Not surprised that there was such a serious pecking order in the staff - the mealtimes downstairs are so interesting.

I'm not keen on the line regarding Isobel's good works, but Fellowes casts a wide net on the social mores of the period so neither is that surprising.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Head Chef

I wonder if that was drawn by Fellowes from actual happenings.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I recorded the O.J.Simpson trial way back when, but I've never wanted to look at that travesty again.

I think the Lady Mary scandal will rear its ugly head again, whether it's brought about by Richard or forced out of a 'friendly' on the staff. I wonder if that sequence was drawn from actual happenings by Fellowes.

Not surprised that there was such a serious pecking order in the staff - the mealtimes downstairs are so interesting.

I'm not keen on the line regarding Isobel's good works, but Fellowes casts a wide net on the social mores of the period so neither is that surprising.
My first husband grew up on the property of the Lord Cumberland. His father was the choir master for the family church. He would tell my kids about his childhood there. One of the stories he told them was of "a shoot". My husband and other kids that lived on the estate at the time would sit on the fence and watch them eating their picnic. When they were done, the left over food would go into a large trash container. The kids would sit there hungry watching them toss all that good food away.