"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh horrors!!! But we all know how sweet your really are, so you won't do that. Besides I will tell Rob on you.
I can't believe that you remembered his name, either you are a stalker or have a memory like a vault!

Oh I would never do that. It will be fun seeing how everyone reacts to this season. Like the others I enjoyed this one very much.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Okay, I'm convinced! I will watch the first two seasons and PVR this year's so they are ready!
Glad to hear it LP! I was fascinated to learn in the first season just why Robert and Cora were married in the first place with her being an American. The dynamics in those days of those of British Title, and American women of "means" is very interesting indeed. That link is really the whole cornerstone of DA and you would have missed the foundation without it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Glad to hear it LP! I was fascinated to learn in the first season just why Robert and Cora were married in the first place with her being an American. The dynamics in those days of those of British Title, and American women of "means" is very interesting indeed. That link is really the whole cornerstone of DA and you would have missed the foundation without it.
The Vanderbilt's sold off their daughter Consuela to the Duke of Marborough. And the Churchill Family (as in Winston) needed the money desperately. Those estates are very costly to keep up. Mama got the royal title in her family that she wanted, the Churchills got the money they needed so desperately and the daughter got to be part of the most miserable marriage on record.

Winston's mother Jenny also was sold off to a lesser brother of the Churchhill family. No title involved. And her two sisters were also offered up and married into other estates.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
The Vanderbilt's sold off their daughter Consuela to the Duke of Marborough. And the Churchill Family (as in Winston) needed the money desperately. Those estates are very costly to keep up. Mama got the royal title in her family that she wanted, the Churchills got the money they needed so desperately and the daughter got to be part of the most miserable marriage on record.

Winston's mother Jenny also was sold off to a lesser brother of the Churchhill family. No title involved. And her two sisters were also offered up and married into other estates.
Addie, I hope those aren't spoilers!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, I hope those aren't spoilers!
No I would never do that. Just a bit of a history lesson.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Consuelo Vanderbilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My error. It is Consuelo, not Conseuela. Her family owned the Breakwaters at Newport, Rhode Island.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #37
Head Chef

Do get hold of the first 2 series, it will all make better sense. I used to half watch it as my husband liked it ,but I missed the gist of what had happened so I got a boxed set and started from the beginning, so much better, and then of course, you are hooked.......
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #38
Head Chef

The only American series I struggled to understand was The Wire, had to have subtitles on for that.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Not to forget, women could not inherit the estates back then, so the women were married off and in exchange, the husbands got the money. We've come a long way!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #40
Master Chef

Haven't followed this entire thread, but one thing I love about my Friday happy hour group is that a couple are BBC/Masterpiece Theater fans and we discuss this over drinks on Fridays.

I loved it when the new groom chose the Irish rebel to be his best man!